Wheels offset question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Our factory GX460 wheels are 52mm offsset. If I get 17x8 zero offset wheels, does that mean the wheel will be pushed about 52mm (+6mm for wheel size difference) to the outside? Does anyone have side profile pictures of 0 offset wheels? Also, I am planning to get 285x70x17 tires.

Our factory GX460 wheels are 52mm offsset. If I get 17x8 zero offset wheels, does that mean the wheel will be pushed about 52mm (+6mm for wheel size difference) to the outside? Does anyone have side profile pictures of 0 offset wheels? Also, I am planning to get 285x70x17 tires.

I don't have a picture of a GX on different wheels but going from +52 (positive offset) to 0 offset would push the wheels out, as long as my jet-lagged mind is on point. Just for reference here is a link to a visual showing positive, zero, and negative offset wheels relative to the wheel mounting surface or hub.

What is Wheel Offset? - Les Schwab

That's what I thought as well. i want to give the GX a little wider stance. Somehow it looks a bit narrow to me.

Nomad_K is right about the stance. If you are going to 285/70/17 on 17x8 wheels, then the farthest in I would go would be a zero offset. I would personally recommend a -10 to -12 offset wheel to help minimize rubbing at full lock and prevent interference with the suspension, but I know that a lot of the Australians run 0 offset in their lifted Prado 150s with similar sized wheels and tires without problem. I personally chose SCS wheels at -10 offset (TOYOTA), but another great choice are the Tandem Automotive 612s (Specialized Off-Roading Products), which were not yet available when I ordered mine. Tandem is based here in Arlington, the owner has a GX 470, and they did a great job with the design. Both websites above probably show no wheels in stock, but you can contact them for either pre-orders or to find out what might be in stock that is not on their websites.

There are many other great choices out there that are made for off-road Toyotas, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so find whatever fits your style and price point.

TXGX460 - do you have any side profile pics of you car? I would like to see how the -10 offset looks on the car. Thanks.

Here are some that show the stance on my 460 with SCS 17x8.5 (notice a little wider than 8") wheels with a -10mm offset, wearing 285/70/17 Toyo AT/II tires. I hope this helps.
20180622_084339.jpg
20180622_084347.jpg
20180622_084400.jpg

How are those on the road? Are they loud?
They are very quiet. I commute 30 miles each way on a daily basis and I needed quiet tires for work calls. These have not disappointed me, and they have worked extremely well in all conditions (although I have not tried them in snow yet).

Also, I have BF Goodrich KOII on my Tundra and they are also NOT loud, I was very surprised, but pleased.

Reviews said as much when I read about the tire, but I assumed it was owners drinking the Kool-Aid, not so - and just another great characteristic of the tire!

This is very nice, do you have more pics or a build thread anywhere? Would love to see the aftermarket bumper details.
I have some photos on the photo thread, along with the part numbers for the bumper and accessories (150 Series Pic Thread). I have some build photos I haven't posted before if you would like to see them, and I am also always happy to answer any questions you have.

Is the OEM 18" really +52 mm offset? The overall suspension are almost exactly the same as 120 series. The 120 already having control arm rubbing the tire with 275-285 wide tire. The 120 come stock with +25 mm offset. I think the internet is wrong since my search also shows many site saying the offset is +52 which might be actually +25. Somebody dyslexic must type the info wrong and everybody just copy the wrong database.

I was searching for cheap 18" wheel to experiment with 275/80r18 a few weeks ago. I was offered a set of peeling chrome GX460 wheels for $40. Turned it down because I cannot use +52 offset.

This is very nice, do you have more pics or a build thread anywhere? Would love to see the aftermarket bumper details.

msgs350, I am finally starting a build thread. It is under "His and Her GX 460 Build" in the 150-series forum. It is a work in progress with a lot to cover, so please be patient as I work on it. If there is anything specific you would like to see just let me know. His and Her GX 460 Builds

Is the OEM 18" really +52 mm offset? The overall suspension are almost exactly the same as 120 series. The 120 already having control arm rubbing the tire with 275-285 wide tire. The 120 come stock with +25 mm offset. I think the internet is wrong since my search also shows many site saying the offset is +52 which might be actually +25. Somebody dyslexic must type the info wrong and everybody just copy the wrong database.

I was searching for cheap 18" wheel to experiment with 275/80r18 a few weeks ago. I was offered a set of peeling chrome GX460 wheels for $40. Turned it down because I cannot use +52 offset.

I think you are correct, there is no way that the GX460 wheels are et52. I always went with that assumption but after seeing many pics, including above, of 0 or near 0 offset wheels, i've come to the conclusion that the OEM wheels are indeed et25.

I think you are correct, there is no way that the GX460 wheels are et52. I always went with that assumption but after seeing many pics, including above, of 0 or near 0 offset wheels, i've come to the conclusion that the OEM wheels are indeed et25.

I hope you guys are right, but if someone can confirm with documentation or a pic of the stamps on the wheel, we wont truly know. Lexus is known for high offsets for their wheels...m
My OEM Lexus IS-F rear wheels are 19x9.5 +51

I don't think a 52mm offset would fit. That would be nearly 2 inches of offset.

For comparison 4Runner OEM wheels run from +4 to +12 depending on model and wheel. The GX wheels have a narrower stance than a 4Runner, but I don't think as much as 3 inches narrower. I would guess more like 1 inch.

I thougt I have mistyped it at first. However, I just googled it and found multiple sources state that they are +52. That is quite high offset. Someone must have mistyped the specs originally from +25 to +52.

Last edited:
Nomad_K is right about the stance. If you are going to 285/70/17 on 17x8 wheels, then the farthest in I would go would be a zero offset. I would personally recommend a -10 to -12 offset wheel to help minimize rubbing at full lock and prevent interference with the suspension, but I know that a lot of the Australians run 0 offset in their lifted Prado 150s with similar sized wheels and tires without problem. I personally chose SCS wheels at -10 offset (TOYOTA), but another great choice are the Tandem Automotive 612s (Specialized Off-Roading Products), which were not yet available when I ordered mine. Tandem is based here in Arlington, the owner has a GX 470, and they did a great job with the design. Both websites above probably show no wheels in stock, but you can contact them for either pre-orders or to find out what might be in stock that is not on their websites.

There are many other great choices out there that are made for off-road Toyotas, and beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so find whatever fits your style and price point.

Helpful thread. Unfortunately it’s difficult to find the Method wheels I’m looking for in a -10 offset. Often, I’m finding the wheels I want at 0.

Would be great to see more offset pictures as examples.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom