82 FJ40 Dying in 4wd (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Went on the trails the other week, was climbing hills, over crocks perfectly fine

Stopped to take a photo, then took off again and went about 20 meters and it died slowly... no acceleration could help this.

After I tried starting, it would kind of struggle, then id start moving and it would die again?

THEN I got a tow all the way out of the trail, after getting back onto the road, I went from 4wd to 2wd it fired up and drove all the way home??

So, my question is, is my fuel pump failing to keep up with the 4wd demands? It would surely need more fuel in 4wd and my old girl just needs a new fuel pump.

Haven't pulled it off yet

THANKS

Check the fuel level in the sight glass when it dies...

....So, my question is, is my fuel pump failing to keep up with the 4wd demands? It would surely need more fuel in 4wd and my old girl just needs a new fuel pump.

THANKS
No that won't be the problem the engine would require far more fuel on the highway. I'm not a petrol guy but you most likely have a fuel starvation problem probably caused by a steep grade or something.

Stock carby, or something else?

I agree with @Indestructible 47 , it's not likely to be the fuel pump.

Is your 4wd actuator vacuum controlled?

You may have a damaged hose that creates a massive vacuum leak in 4wd.

Fuel filter dirty or screen in the carb clogged? I've had kind of similar from a failing fuel pump, too, though I did not make it very far between "failings...."

Went on the trails the other week, was climbing hills, over crocks perfectly fine

Stopped to take a photo, then took off again and went about 20 meters and it died slowly... no acceleration could help this.

After I tried starting, it would kind of struggle, then id start moving and it would die again?

THEN I got a tow all the way out of the trail, after getting back onto the road, I went from 4wd to 2wd it fired up and drove all the way home??

So, my question is, is my fuel pump failing to keep up with the 4wd demands? It would surely need more fuel in 4wd and my old girl just needs a new fuel pump.

THANKS

Those "crocks" will always get you in the end.

I wouldn't think an '82 would have vacuum shift for the transfer case, but the Aussie models got things like that much later than we did.

On the other hand, if it is linkage shift, check to see if the fuel hose has been routed in a way that the t-case linkage might pinch it when in 4WD.

Thanks for the help

Stock carby (so I believe) but ill check all hoses, it is just weird that it happened so suddenly, it was a good 25 minutes on the trails before anything happened! That's why maybe it could have been some bad fuel .... because it only recently got her she was sitting for a while and I never drained the tank (rookie mistake).

Maybe this is a contributor ?

9B2F0595-901E-400B-8DBA-A6090334BF5C.jpeg

Maybe this is a contributor ?

View attachment 1727563

No maybes about that! OMG! That puts cowboy coffee to shame!

Since you have the luxury of having an access cover in the bed of the truck, go ahead and pull the sending unit and shine a NON-SPARKING flashlight (what made Maglite famous) in there.

My point: if your tank is original, it may make more sense to just get a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom