CB Antenna recommendations please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking for CB antenna recommendations. I have a Cobra 75 WXST freshly installed that hasn’t been tuned. I absolutely need the best range possible because I will be leading a 12+ vehicle convoy west to Colorado. I need maximum range for on the road and trail.

I know CB’s aren’t the best choice for range but it’s what the convoy has agreed upon so that’s what we are working with.

I have a 5’ heavy duty Firestick already but I am willing to switch. I also have a confirmed good ground through the bumper. I scraped paint and it was checked for continuity. I am running a heavy antenna spring and no quick disconnect.

I saw a firestick style antenna that has an extendable whip from the top at the truck stop. Is this a better option for range extension? If I go that route I assume I need to tune it with the tip extended, more length doesn’t just mean more range with CB’s if I recall.

The 5 footer I have now is way high above the roofline but it’s heavy, I am worried it will be occilating at highway speeds (80mph) and whipping around even with the heavy spring. Should I go with a lighter duty 5 footer or consider the extendable whip I saw at the truck stop? Function is paramount, I have a Wilson magnet mount whip but I’d prefer the front bumper mount.

I would consider a dual antenna if there’s a real benefit (not a juiced up CB radio) and if the install isn’t a big deal. I have no idea about dual antennas, I just know that’s what truckers run.

Pics are of current set up. I promised @ForrestGrump pics of where the dongle for the radio exited into the passenger footwell and figured I’d open it up in a new thread for antenna recs.

What has worked for any of you off the front ARB bumper?

F419EE03-FFFF-475D-94A2-3C14A572C645.jpeg

E2FBAEBB-FA3B-4061-AD26-4A1231B0EF8D.jpeg

E8DF19F6-076B-4393-B323-DE9D80A62AEE.jpeg

Bumper tends to be lowish imo, for a cb. A Wilson 1k would easily / way more than get it done. I use a magnet mount roof 60 inch style, and for a cb, with appropriate adjustments, the thing is remarkable.

Nice LC!

I figured the mag mount may be the way to go. If I’m unsatisfied with the current set up I’ll run the mag mount for the trip. I’ve got a Wilson 7000 if I recall.

What’s the best way to run it into the cabin from the outside?

On my last 200, I ran the cable down the channel on the passenger side A pillar into the engine bay and through the firewall grommet into the passenger footwell. Now I slap it on the roof and let the cable dangle into the cab in the passenger rear door. The door closes fine and the weatherstripping doesn’t have any issues or damage the cable. Works fine for the couple days per year I need it and doesn’t cause issues pulling in and out of the garage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom