Turbo blanket (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Are any of you guys running turbo blankets on a 1HDT? I’m wondering if there will be any benefit to install one and what size to get for the ct26 turbo?

Is the goal to keep the heat in the turbo/exhaust, or the heat out of the engine bay, or what exactly? This kind of thing will be more common in the gas turbo engine world, as they are so much more affected by IAT's, predetonation, timing curves, etc. I don't really see the point on a turbo diesel. There's already heat shields in place for this.

Is the goal to keep the heat in the turbo/exhaust, or the heat out of the engine bay, or what exactly? This kind of thing will be more common in the gas turbo engine world, as they are so much more affected by IAT's, predetonation, timing curves, etc. I don't really see the point on a turbo diesel. There's already heat shields in place for this.

Yes it just seems the more heat you keep in the turbo the more benefits you reap e.g. turbo spool up, and I generally would like to reduce engine bay temps down as this affects other parts correct?

It makes sense in theory but you wont notice a performance difference.

I put one on my turbo in my 3b just to protect hoses that are kind of close to the turbo centre. Reduced under bonnet temps a fair bit

It makes sense in theory but you wont notice a performance difference.

I put one on my turbo in my 3b just to protect hoses that are kind of close to the turbo centre. Reduced under bonnet temps a fair bit

I’m looking for the same reduced engine bay temps, not really looking for performance gains per say. If I get a little something out of it on the performance side then that’s a bonus. What size blanket would you guys recommend?

They do have value. But the average ricer is using them to help spool huge turbos. We'd be using them to keep a turbo hot so it's more efficient.

Also underbonnet temps.

If you care about lower egts then you should care about lowering Underhood temps. The only drawback is you have to install it. Everything else is bennifit that requires no effort. It's really that simple.

I have one on my 6BT 80 series, I would recommend them.

Go to frozen boost or siliconeintakes.com (same company) and order up. Just keeping the engine compartment cooler is worth it, but I would insulate the exhaust manifold as well. I actually did the first foot or so of the downpipe, it seems you just move the heat further down the line.

I have one on my 6BT 80 series, I would recommend them.

Go to frozen boost or siliconeintakes.com (same company) and order up. Just keeping the engine compartment cooler is worth it, but I would insulate the exhaust manifold as well. I actually did the first foot or so of the downpipe, it seems you just move the heat further down the line.

Any idea which turbo blanket would best fit a CT26? I'm guessing it's more closely comparable to a T3 than a T4?

Sounds like it's a pinch bigger than the T3, on the exhaust housing anyway, I would order the bigger one unless your tight for room or something.

There is lots of turbo blankets on aliexpress.com as well, and cheap.

We had a subaru wagon, an early 90's when me and the wife lived in NZ over a decade ago, it had a hood scoop which basically pushed air through a shroud around the exhaust post turbo. The intercooler was in front of the rad.

In hindsight I like that idea, you want to retain heat right up to the fins upstream of the exhaust turbine.

After which you drop pressure if the air is cooler, less temperature/pressure on the downstream side and you have greater (albeit slightly) difference of pressure on the turbine. It makes sense in a performance perspective, how much of a difference, probably not alot, but I noticed a difference in power when my exhaust was extended a couple feet to go past the rear axle (3" SS). Wishing I had gone 4" off the start.

I would guess in terms of emissions, I believe the longer you have your exhaust gases at higher temps the less emissions you would get (I'm sure having catalyst materials present is part of that as well), thus part of why we have catalytic converters.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom