83 FJ60 Headlight bezels (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the midst of completing a restoration of an 83 FJ60. Now that the truck looks like new, the headlight bezels look a bit old. Mine are chromelike all around. They were rattle canned black and I cleaned them up.. I don't know if they are supposed to be all chromelike or if they had chromelike edging and matte black in the center. Some of the reproductions that are selling on Ebay have the black center. If that is the case, I can easily repaint mine and make them look new again. Any input is appreciated.

I restored mine with very good results.
img_5612-jpg.1412679

img_5622-jpg.1412680

And the paint you'll need.
img_5614-jpg.1412681

Is yours an 83? did they have black on the later models? I have restored the grill using a satin black from Rustoleom and it was a great match. I don't want to paint the bezels if they were intended to be all chrome.

All 60s had a charcoal metallic paint with a chrome ring. As our trucks aged, all the paint wears off and some are left all shiny (chrome like). Most just go full black-out with grille and bezels. Look at headlight bezels for sale (new) and you will see that they are grey and chrome.

That RustOleum can be picked up at your local Home Depot.

83’s had all chrome bezels. Something of a rarity amongst 60’s.

No kidding? I just assumed all the paint had flaked off. Only on 83? I honestly learn something new every day on here! Thanks!!!

All chrome on my 83 as well. Here’s another question for 83 owners. Is your 4x4 badge and license plate bezel all chrome as well, or is mine just worn away? I see no signs of paint at all on mine.

3EDA60E8-E14D-4BFB-97AB-EFAACF8FAF58.jpeg

DDD9F252-5970-4EB8-9236-82809231CCC8.jpeg

That is good to know that they were all chrome. I won't be touching mine. They will look a bit worn considering the whole truck just got painted, but I don't care. I cannot wait to put her back together.

IMG_5451.jpg

IMG_2108.JPG

All chrome on my 83 as well. Here’s another question for 83 owners. Is your 4x4 badge and license plate bezel all chrome as well, or is mine just worn away? I see no signs of paint at all on mine.

4WD badge appears to be all chrome but the (blue?) could've worn off.

The Toyota Badge should have black outlining the "TOYOTA".

My '82 is all chrome for the headlight bezel.

All 60s had a charcoal metallic paint with a chrome ring. As our trucks aged, all the paint wears off and some are left all shiny (chrome like). Most just go full black-out with grille and bezels. Look at headlight bezels for sale (new) and you will see that they are grey and chrome.

That RustOleum can be picked up at your local Home Depot.
How easy is it to take off for paint? I would like to restore my 85 as you did yours

All 60s up to 1984 had “all chrome” headlight doors. 1985 marked the first year for flat gray “centers”.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom