Vibration that comes and goes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My LX450 will get a vibration from about 30-65mph and it's always random. It's like a really bad balanced tire with a roar. It doesn't increase as the speed goes up or down and doesn't seem to be a wheel bearing. It may stay for 10-15 minutes then it just goes away and drives smooth as silk? Doesn't it in neutral or drive so it shouldn't be in the drive line. I'm thinking bad tire or balance. Seems weird it comes and goes like that. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Check that your lugnuts and steering knuckle nuts are torqued properly. I assume tires are balanced, do you have a lift?

You said you don’t think it is a wheel bearing, I’d check this thread to confirm it isn’t bearing or tie rod play Front axle evaulation for FAQ

Lube your u-joints and the slip joint to see if that resolves your issue. Be careful on the latter to not pump too much grease into the slip joint.

I will check the torque specs again (what are they for the wheels & steering?). I will also check the bearing and hub again. I had the bearing nut snugged up at a shop about 2 months ago. The u-joints and slip are full with Red & Tacky. Thank you for the link as well!

It really feels like the vibration is more In the middle to rear of the vehicle. That's just what it feels like.

4 bolts on the underside of the knuckle, on my phone & not able to search easily. Many threads if you search “check your nuts”.

Is your truck stock height or do you have a lift? If you have a recently installed lift the u-joints can be “unhappy” running in a new plane creating a vibration. You can lock the CDL if so equipped and drop a driveshaft to see if the vibes go away.

Stock tires or larger? Look for the @Tools R Us method of setting preload on the bearings vice the FSM if running larger tires.

Tire pressures, balance, steering stabilizer are a few other items to check easily to eliminate as a contributor to vibrations.

I had something similar w/ my 2.5” lift and have a much smoother ride addressing all of the above. The final solution that seemed to help was going to OEM bushing & @landtank caster correction plates. I don’t know that any one thing fixed it, but by checking any potential contributors I’m much smoother moving down the road. HTH

Is the moly grease level correct in the knuckles, ~1/2 to 3/4 full? If not a dry spindle bushing can cause a rumble like you are describing.

I will check the knuckles and tires. It's not lifted just stock. Thanks

Since the knuckle was bone dry on the driver side I put in 1 entire tube of Moly in the fill hole. I hope that's 1/2 to 2/3rds full. Would that work for the knuckle?

Also, the passenger side is fairly dry but does get grease. Should I go with 100 pumps on that side or another whole tube?
The search function yielded anywhere from 1-3 tubes but I'm afraid to put too much. I simply don't have the time to tear it apart right now to baseline. It's been sitting as it is while I am going through things.

Thanks!

Drive it a bit, 100mi ish, check level by looking in the hole, add as needed, repeat as needed to bring it up to level. Then check/add a couple of times a year, depending on how many miles it's driven. This is an ongoing maintenance item. Very few guess correctly when doing a knuckle reseal, we always recheck after a couple of months.

Check your nuts, 71ft/lb.

Thank you! I will check the 71 ft/lb right now on the nuts. I will add about 20-30 pumps to the side that is dry just to be on the safe side for now.

71 ft/lbs checked. None were loose

4 nuts on the bottom of the knuckle at 71 ft/lbs correct? I'm learning lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom