GX470 HID Projector Retrofit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Mounting a D2S 4.0 projector would require some serious engineering but I was able to mount a Mini H1 7.0. To really do a proper retrofit it would require making a simple bracket...
I hacked up one of my Mini H1 brackets
and bolted it to what was left of the OEM bracket.
For the LED high beam a simple cut using a Dremel allow the LED to sit level
and there was just enough of the threaded shaft for the bolt to hold it in place. This would not be adequate for a permanent retrofit but just for the test it worked great ..I’d mockup a different mounting method which wouldn’t be that difficult
I’ll try to far these things up in a couple days and shoot some output shots

1BF99305-11F4-4DCD-8C1B-D94D12E0B1CE.jpeg

84BBF103-06BB-466B-814C-099F2EB00FBD.jpeg

EB6D120E-97AF-4D73-BB5F-C5E6DE8DEF80.jpeg

40D52EC2-8FE6-4E28-8976-EA58FE928977.jpeg

Can't wait to get some info regarding how they work. The HID lows my son built are perfect so now I need some highs to match.

Can't wait to get some info regarding how they work. The HID lows my son built are perfect so now I need some highs to match.

So the RX projectors are not Bi-xenon (low and high beam)? If that's the case the LED would be a great addition. The Mini H1 7.0 that I'm using is Bi-xenon..... so you'd have 4 high beams firing.

So the RX projectors are not Bi-xenon (low and high beam)? If that's the case the LED would be a great addition. The Mini H1 7.0 that I'm using is Bi-xenon..... so you'd have 4 high beams firing.

No, they are low beam only HIDs. My setup still has the stock GX high beam.

No, they are low beam only HIDs. My setup still has the stock GX high beam.

The Hi Lens would be a easy install for you

My high beams are garbage! I'd love to hear more about fitting those into my lights!

Your low beams probably suck also... the install is easy .....opening up the lights and removing the bracket was the adventure...

IMG_20180612_183540.jpg

Need to bake and tear the Sienta Lights apart....

IMG_20180619_160810.jpg

Modpod sits really nice in the underutilized section here....

IMG_20180619_160829.jpg

Luke is soooo right with these!

IMG_20180619_160920.jpg

These might be a bit overkill...I really want to utilize the OEM turn signal reflector in some way...seems a waste not too....guess we'll see how it all looks with the Sienta projectors in and the shroud cut. I bought 8 of these mini mod pods, knowing I may not use them in the headlights, but there is so many ways they can be used. I got the switchback version so they can all function as DRL/Turn signals.

The Hi Lens would be a easy install for you

Yeah, we are just waiting to see how they work out moving ahead with the high beams.

We put these in the front turn signals. My son turned the DRL function off and wired the white lights to 12v switched so I now have nice white DRLs that remain on with the headlights. The turn signal switches over to the amber. If he turns DRL function on then they are amber like the stock setup.

View attachment 1726045

Need to bake and tear the Sienta Lights apart....

View attachment 1726046
Modpod sits really nice in the underutilized section here....

View attachment 1726047
Luke is soooo right with these!

View attachment 1726048
These might be a bit overkill...I really want to utilize the OEM turn signal reflector in some way...seems a waste not too....guess we'll see how it all looks with the Sienta projectors in and the shroud cut. I bought 8 of these mini mod pods, knowing I may not use them in the headlights, but there is so many ways they can be used. I got the switchback version so they can all function as DRL/Turn signals.

i like the Mini pods but I would suggest you don't cut your shroud until you figure out how you plan on mounting the Sienta lights.. Will they mount on the bracket? How will you adjust the rotation(horizontal level), height and side to side adjustments?

Yeah, we are just waiting to see how they work out moving ahead with the high beams.

We put these in the front turn signals. My son turned the DRL function off and wired the white lights to 12v switched so I now have nice white DRLs that remain on with the headlights. The turn signal switches over to the amber. If he turns DRL function on then they are amber like the stock setup.
I like your setup... I have similar plans with my LX...wiring the fog lights and the angel eyes each to a separate switch ... I coverted my fog lights to HID using the small Matchbox projectors and working on a new Quad set with angel eyes for DRL

Here’s the Matchbox mounted to a bracket I quickly made out of sheet metal... but have since had a dozen laser cut.. The little Matchbox has amazing light output and a nice cutoff

B31E5390-5129-4B35-8A4A-1F56773D5443.jpeg

626216A3-1069-4561-8772-8065B85D2430.jpeg

CC1B571A-2E0A-4A4C-8D61-4BB9235C65C0.jpeg

CA9A5ECB-15D9-4640-81AB-2027FB1564D5.jpeg

BC9716B3-2B7E-4E7D-934D-0A7EE0700543.jpeg

Last edited:
@Luke111 are you planning to make brackets for the GX470 similar to the LX470?

@Luke111 are you planning to make brackets for the GX470 similar to the LX470?

Not in the short term...the cost involved vs return doesn't calculate... just opening the lights and removing bracket is 3-4 times harder then the LX. The OEM bracket would have to be cut and the new bracket attached to the remaining portion.. The GX has one large bracket housing both low and high beam so a new bracket would have to be attached to allow full adjustment. I'll continue working on this and might offer fully retrofitted lights in brand new OEM housing.

i like the Mini pods but I would suggest you don't cut your shroud until you figure out how you plan on mounting the Sienta lights.. Will they mount on the bracket? How will you adjust the rotation(horizontal level), height and side to side adjustments?

Hoping they will mount on the bracket will definitely heed your advice, no cutting till I have the Sienta lights apart. I was out of the country til last night so no progress on that front yet.

How will you adjust the rotation(horizontal level), height and side to side adjustments?

On that topic, correct me if I'm wrong but the GX doesn't have the manual height adjustment? (Small dial) The Prado does, as does the Sienta, so I'm wondering if I can find a way to make that work.

Sorry, I mean electric manual adjustment...as in there is a small motor on the height screw (or possibly a secondary height screw?) that raises and lowers the height via a dial inside the vehicle. The Prado has it, the Sienta has it, I'm just hoping I can retrofit it on to the GX headlights since the motor itself is the same and should be plug and play..

Sorry, I mean electric manual adjustment...as in there is a small motor on the height screw (or possibly a secondary height screw?) that raises and lowers the height via a dial inside the vehicle. The Prado has it, the Sienta has it, I'm just hoping I can retrofit it on to the GX headlights since the motor itself is the same and should be plug and play..

You guys get all the cool stuff

You guys get all the cool stuff

Sorta, not sure what the real purpose is. The only time I really felt it was handy was with my previous van, one of the low beam HIDs died on me hours away from home,,,,the cops here will totally pull you over for that, not a fix it ticket, it goes on your record....so you really want to avoid getting pulled over for anything. Anyhow, I had adjusted my lights with it set at the highest setting so I could basically turn on the high beams and dial the height down to make them low beams for a few days. (without the need to pop the hood and manually crank the height down)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom