2nd Battery wire gauge with winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've read every thread I can find on 2nd battery installs and have learned a lot, but I'm still left with a couple questions as most do not seem to include a winch setup.

My winch (Smittybilt X20) specs are:
Line Pull: 3k 6k 9k 12k
Amps: 138 218 260 330

Based on my understanding this should require 2/0 or 3/0 cable but I don't see anyone doing that. Is that because the draw from a winch isn't long enough to overheat the wires?

What about voltage drop?

Eventually I'll be wiring up other stuff on the house battery (fridge, lights, inverter, etc) but that all seems negligent compared to the winch. The other thought I had was would it be better to just isolate the winch to the starter battery and keep the winch off of the dual circuit and use a lower gauge wire/fuses for all the house applications.

Any links too good resources would certainly be appreciated.

Last edited:
My dual setup is in my build thread. 2/0 gauge wire throughout. No winch yet on my LX but my winch on my rock crawler gets used enough. Just make sure to keep your vehicle running when your pulling. I also increase RPMs when I'm pulling to wind the alternator up a little more. Some people have a hand throttle for this reason.

Prevailing internet wisdom says run your winch off your starting battery. I'm probably going to run my winch off my second battery with the option to link both batteries when winching if need be...

Ask this question in the Winching & Recovery forum and I'm sure you will get a lot of valuable input

I also used 1/0 gauge to my winch (and connecting the two batteries for that matter). Batteries are fused, winch isn't. Definitely don't need that size for house accessories. My winch is technically connected to my second battery, but the two are connected when the vehicle is running, so it's fairly irrelevant.

Last edited:
I use 2AWG on my setup. I started with 1/0, then went down to 2AWG, because 1/0 is just miserable to work with. I'm running the winch off the secondary battery leg of my ML/ACR, I can pair them up if I need more grunt.

Last edited:
I use 2/0 on my setup. I started with 1/0, then went down to 2/0, because 1/0 is just miserable to work with. I'm running the winch off the secondary battery leg of my ML/ACR, I can pair them up if I need more grunt.
Thanks - why was working with a thinner gauge more miserable?

Thanks - why was working with a thinner gauge more miserable?
Sorry, my bad. Went down from 1/0 to 2AWG. Will edit my response above. You do NOT want to do anything over 2AWG, it gets WAY too stiff to work with.

I figured if my winch power lead (ComeUp 9.5) was only 2AWG, all my short wire runs were perfectly fine at that wire gauge. The only 1/0 run I kept was the one joining the starting battery in the stock location to my ML-ACR, right in front of the air box, since it was about a 4 foot run. I just didn't feel like making a new wire, so I left it.

Sorry, my bad. Went down from 1/0 to 2AWG. Will edit my response above. You do NOT want to do anything over 2AWG, it gets WAY too stiff to work with.

I figured if my winch power lead (ComeUp 9.5) was only 2AWG, all my short wire runs were perfectly fine at that wire gauge. The only 1/0 run I kept was the one joining the starting battery in the stock location to my ML-ACR, right in front of the air box, since it was about a 4 foot run. I just didn't feel like making a new wire, so I left it.
Also, invest in a hydraulic battery lug crimper from Harbor Freight. It was less than $60, and I've used it to make all my own cables. Bulk welding wire, bags of battery lugs, heat shrink, and anti-chafe sleeving in bulk, and you'll never pay anyone for a cable again. I've more than got my investment in the tool back in savings, and all my wires are organized and exactly the right length.

Also, invest in a hydraulic battery lug crimper from Harbor Freight. It was less than $60, and I've used it to make all my own cables.

If the OP uses eBay, they can usually be found for at or under $40.

Thanks for all the input, I think I'm gonna go with some 1/0 Excelene Cable, seems like a good balance between overkill and fire :)
All these parts are getting expensive!

While I'm here does anyone know the biggest Yellow Top battery that will fit in the Slee 2nd Battery Holder (2nd edition w/compressor mount)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom