Snow Chains ......... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
G'Day Fella's,

I hope this is in the correct section?

A couple of years back, I changed the wheels on my Battle Cruiser, from 7.50 x 16" to 31 x 10.50 x 15".
I have a set of near new Konig, single diamond Polar chains for the 16" wheels, and was wondering if these will fit the 15" wheels?
Any advice will be most appreciated.

Regards
Homer

Last edited:
if you go to the Konig web site you could probably deduce what chains are interchangeable by entering each tire size and comparing the part number that comes up.

You got enough snow down there for chains??

Or will you be using them for mud?

G'Day 45Kevin,

Thanks for the web site advice.
I did check this out myself, and what I have are #260 Polar's and what they reccomend is #255.
I'll pull the #260's out, and give them try on the 15" spare tyre, and report back.

Yes 45 Kevin, 2 1/2 hours drive from where I live, (Canberra), up to 1 meter (40") of snow fell over the weekend.
But also, rather than having Mud type tyres, I take the chains along as a back up.
This gives me what I consider two bites on the Cherry. Quiter on-road travel and the chain up option, if and when required.
Please see attached, an image of my Battle Cruiser, next to a snow drift at Hotham Heights in Victoria. This was on my way home after a week of rain, whilst Deer hunting (Sambar Deer) down there.

If I want to go Deer hunting in the state of Victoria, I have to "Officially" have chains with me, to get thru the Policed high country areas.
They are always a good safety option, as the snow and ice can get hairy on the roads/tracks....... not to mention the Mud!

Regards
Homer

Battle Cruiser at Hotham.jpg

Last edited:
Yikes.
That a drift alright.
Mind you, that was the general depth of the entire snow pack in much of the Canadian Rockies this year.

It's important that chains fit the tire snugly, but you may find that some extra bungee cords can make them work.

But, if you really just need them to get past the check points, and don't actually expect to use them, do they check to see if you have the correct fitting chains?

G'Day 45Kevin,

Yes, I don't pretend or imply that it's like this every year but it does know how to snow down here.

I just tried the #260 Polar's on the 15" spare wheel....... and to quote "Maxwell Smart"; "they missed by that much"!
If the chains were an inch longer, there would have been a bit of chain to spare but...........
I'll sell these and get a new pair (of #255 Polar).

Thanks again for your advice mate.

Regards
Homer

Last edited:
G'Day Fella's,

Since I posted this original thread, I've had a bit of a shop around and because of this, a bit of a re-think.
Getting a new set of the appropriate size Konig #255 Polars locally, was not as easy as I thought it would be.
So after a bit of time and a think, I decided to modify the set I already have, by adding some additional chain links to them.
I had some off cuts of 1/4", "Herc-Alloy" chain laying about, so I cut off two short lengths, cut one of the links, spread them at the cut, closed them up in place, and Hot Glued them back together again.

Here's some images the additional links, cut and spread.
DSCN2728.JPG

One extension in place and Hot Glued back together again.
DSCN2729.JPG

And in place on my spare wheel, with a bit of red paint, on the bits I need to find.
DSCN2731.JPG

Hope that helps

D'oh!
Homer

Last edited:
IMG_1526.JPG
IMG_1527.JPG

I do not think your hot glue is going to hold.
I'd use one of these.

G'Day Fella's,

Yes, I was being cheeky, by refering to Welding as Hot Glue.
I do refer to my various welders, as Hot Glue Guns............ which in a round-about-way, they are LOL!

Thank You Spike555, for your advice on this, and yes, these products would have worked well, as a solution.

Regards
Homer

Language barriers even when speaking the same language. Lol

Yes mate, and I think us Aussies are the worst at renaming things.
Appologies for that Spike555, but it's always good for an unexpected chat, and a bit of a laugh as well.

Regards
Homer

Last edited:
Yes mate, and I think us Aussies are the worst at renaming things.
Appologies for that Spike555, but it's always good for an unexpected chat, and a it of a laugh as well.

Regards
Homer

It's all good mate. A friend of mine lives in New Zealand and when she comes to visit it's always good for a laugh, her accent is sexy as hell. And the words just crack me up.

Good to hear Spike555 and also, that us Aussies arn't the only one's to both like, and laugh at the Kiwi's accent.
We regularly say, apparently they speak English!

LOL!
Homer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom