Anyone up in Frisco/Breck, CO area to peek at my 91 to give me tips n pointers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Visiting fam up here, Wasn’t planning on Cruising it up here, but other car is down for mx.

Thing didn’t wanna do 50 up the hill just past Denver. It’s lifted with bigger tires, I’m really not an off road guy as it’s kinda a group sport and I don’t know the folks local to me yet....

Anyways if y’all too busy then :flipoff2:

A4D0CF09-C205-4469-B7E5-118D7F5CACB0.jpeg

89DFC251-73CF-4193-BEA7-A45C3983F02D.jpeg

Could be so many different things to troubleshoot, we would need more information on here to help. If your looking for local people, it wouldn’t hurt to check out the local chapters here on mud to find people near you.

Ya notta lotta folks out near me in fo mo, so my logic was to find local to me right meow, not necessarily where I live...

Good call on the need more info though, light on that

In 1991 and 1992 they had the 3fe motor. In 1993 they went to the 1fz motor which makes 210hp. The 3fe only makes 155hp which is what you have, so 50mph up I70 outside of denver is all the speed the 155hp will get you. Thats why 91 and 92 models typically sell for 2 or 3k vs the 1fz models which usually sell for 6k and higher. The 3fe also typically gets worse fuel mileage than the 1fz. But the 3fe is a tough motor and will last you many miles if u properly maintain it.

^^ what he said. If you're getting 50 mph out of it, your'e doing OK. I have 4.88s and the 1FZ and still only run about 55mph up 70 just letting it rev in 2nd. 3rd is usually only when it levels out a little and I can get up to 60-70mph.

Also that 155 hp was brand new. It's now 27 years old and at altitude. We lose ~10% here in Denver, it's down another ~10% when you're up past 10k'. Optimistically that's about 120hp trying to pull a heavy SUV up a 6% grade.

Sounds like normal behavior to me. No need to worry, just give yourself enough time and enjoy the view.

Yeah that sounds normal, shift down and keep your rpm's up (3000 rpm) for climbing grades is key.

Over the years I've had good days and bad days up I-70, it is just a brutal climb for a 3F motor. Fixing vacuum leaks will make a big difference, the higher the vacuum draw through the MAF meter the more fuel to the motor.:steer:

50mph up Floyd Hill sounds about right to me. Leave that puppy in 2nd gear and stay in the right lane with the semis.

an 1fz can do about 60 :flipoff2:

The thing about driving a 91-92 Land Cruiser is...... they are.... by far, the BEST ever built! They WANT to go slower so that the “little people” (non LC owners) can admire them on the road........ or that’s what I tell myself!:flipoff2:

My '92 might do 35 uphill on I70 west. If you're passing the semi's uphill it's doing well

I've got a '90 and it pulls 75 up floyd hill.....;)

This is normal for the 3FE. Check for vacuum hoses unattached. Shift manually; run the RPMs a little higher than the auto between upshifts. Don't push it too hard and don't rush it. Relax. The Fj80 is a fancy slow beautiful safari tractor; it shines galloping down dirt roads at 30 mph, not on the interstate. Take care of it and it'll go forever.

Don’t get me wrong, I pride myself on not passing anyone on 7 hr road trips, but this is just a new level of slow!!

It’s interesting that y’all have come to grips with it, when..... ohhhh if y’all driving slow too I’d never know it!! Mind F!!!

Oh no, not all of us are ok with it. Just the guys driving 1991-1992 models before the powerhouse of the 1FZ came out. ;)

Don’t get me wrong, I pride myself on not passing anyone on 7 hr road trips, but this is just a new level of slow!!

It’s interesting that y’all have come to grips with it, when..... ohhhh if y’all driving slow too I’d never know it!! Mind F!!!

Oh no, not all of us are ok with it. Just the guys driving 1991-1992 models before the powerhouse of the 1FZ came out. ;)

Once you drop the 3FE's transfer case into low for paved uphill roads, it's really not that bad lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom