Builds Dirty Bastard (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You will be fine!! Torque multiplication is you friend.
You are still running a 4l60, correct? If so it's plenty.

With an auto, you'll likely be fine! You can always put different gears in the atlas down the road.

Oh, gratuitous pic of the giant hunk of aluminum.
20180613_135217.jpg

Doesn't look like that thing was ever run.

Doesn't look like that thing was ever run.

I twisted the previous truss so decided I may as well replace it while I'm doing the transfer case.
Picked up one of Artec's modular trusses (4 wheel parts 25% off coupon!). It looks good and is gusseted enough that I don't think I'll have to do this again.
20180614_192614.jpg

Last edited:
I got the 32 spline input out of the Atlas, but had to order in input seal for the smaller diameter 27 spline shaft. AA were awesome over the phone (they have fantastic customer service) in that they gave me an applicable part number for the seal even though they've now gone to a non-interchange seal made specifically for the atlas.
Mock-up for the transfer case will be tomorrow, and I'll measure and weld up the driveshafts over the weekend (I'll have to wait until next week sometime to balance them on a lathe).

I had to come up with a really odd-ball seal (because I didn't have a lathe) for my aw5/dana 300 transfer case adapter. https://www.timken.com/resources/
is your friend, they list the seals by size, but have a really good search function that allows you to spec out your seal. A quick google of the part number nets you the seal.
the problem I had was the OD of the area being sealed and the ID (shaft diameter) gave me about 1/4" difference with which to put a pressure seal (meaning it could hold pressure)....

I had to come up with a really odd-ball seal (because I didn't have a lathe) for my aw5/dana 300 transfer case adapter. https://www.timken.com/resources/
is your friend, they list the seals by size, but have a really good search function that allows you to spec out your seal. A quick google of the part number nets you the seal.
the problem I had was the OD of the area being sealed and the ID (shaft diameter) gave me about 1/4" difference with which to put a pressure seal (meaning it could hold pressure)....
I didn't think to look at timken (and never knew they had a search function on their site). Thanks for the info!

Wrapped up just about everything today, but when I went to measure for the rear driveline, I realized I hadn't yet installed the rear CV flange. Then I realized I'd forgotten to order it.... :bang:
Well, I ordered the flange that should be here monday.
Rear driveline is going to be.....
~25" !!!

With the exception of a few small things, the 40 is again road/trail ready. Rear driveshaft ended up at 25.75", a huge improvement over what it was.
I have to pull the hoses for the heater, as the heater core is leaking, and put some spacers in for the upper heims in the rear. Other than that though, the truck is good to go.

Had a pretty awesome day wheeling.
Everyone we know was either working, on their way to a crawl competition, or out of town, so the Mrs and I went out for a solo venture.

20180705_120040.jpg
20180705_120044.jpg
20180705_120101.jpg

I ended up not attempting Can Opener as you typically have to climb really high on the driver's side wall to get up on the rocks, and a flop while solo just isn't a good idea.
The truck ran great, with no issues, and the Atlas proved plenty deep for the rocks (and not so deep that some whoopow couldn't be had for a bump).
I'm going to look at maybe adding a couple of fans under the hood vents to pull some heat from under hood. Temps never got above 220 on really heavy, long climbs, but I'd like to evacuate some more of the heat if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom