Wilton 400S bench vise worth the price? (3 Viewers)

Which vise to get for the same price?

• 400S (old one)

Votes: 7 100.0%
  • 746 (new one)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How much did he have to pay to ship a ton of vise back & forth?

i dont remeber exactly but i think it was somewhere around 150. the screw for the jaws was rusted solid and after hw tried to heat it up and free it he sent it back and had it rebuilt free of charge, minus the shipping of course. not bad for a vice that he got out of the heavy iron pile at the scrap yard

I see quite a few old vises on the local craigslist and in garage sales, often at rather low prices considering the sheer weight of metal in most of them. At some point I had something like a dozen from very large to small... Now down to a still unreasonable five or 6.

They are easy and fun to recondition or restore I must say.

Incidentally, you would think a vise would never break but I did in fact see a few broken ones and even manage to break a chinese one myself, although admittedly it was the swivel base that broke, not the main body or jaw.

I have a wilton 3 1/2' jaw I got new in 1968. I have used it as an anvil a bearing press a pipe bender and just about any other garage abuse you can think of it is still in one piece.

I have had this same model vise for more than seven years. I have been in the mechanical trades for 45 years, and it is the finest quality bench-vise I have ever owned. The materials and craft are first rates. I have used it hard, and it seems to be indestructible. That is an expensive vise, but if you are a lover of quality tools, this vise will not disappoint you.

I have two Wilton Bullet vises and a couple other vintage US vises, a Columbian and a Buffalo. One Wilton is the 8" jaw Mechanic vise. It's been
in the shop for ten years. I bought it used from a Blacksmith who bought it in the 80's. The other came from the same blacksmith whose
grandfather bought it in the 40s. It had a worm worm screw. I called Wilton and they sent a replacement. It works like new again.
I've bought a number of Chinese vises. I had one actually last ten years before one of my guys snapped the end of the screw off. Most are good for 3 to 5 years of good use but even new they aren't as tight as a 20 year old Wilton Bullet vise. If you use it daily you'll treasure a great vise.
A vise is one tool where quality really shines over mediocrity

A vise thread, I love vises maybe more than I should, Ok so I'm sick, but I just keep buying them. Nothing like an old USA vise. Go to garage sales, Craig's list, etc. and you'll find one for a lot cheaper than new crap. You'll have a piece of American history and will be able to pass it down to the kids. I like the big ones, 5 or 6 inch jaws and still looking for the big daddy 8 inch railroad vise.

I have them on every corner of my work tables, here's a few...
6" Reed
IMG_3640.JPG

5" Monarch
IMG_3641.JPG

Here's a 6" brass jaw Reed, I have two of those
IMG_3642.JPG

I like all styles... Kurt
IMG_3645.JPG

Blacksmith's post vise...Love it!
IMG_3646.JPG

So many more, but no Wiltons. I do have two Wilton wood working vises, but they don't count. Buy old and buy American and you can't go wrong.

You know the most I've paid for a vise is that 6" Reed it was $125 all the others were under $100.

These three were part of a bigger purchase, but I think together no more than $45 total. These are smaller 4" jaws though. In my area seems people like to say $75 for most vises give or take. Keep looking man that's half the fun.

IMG_3647.JPG

Yeah that's nuts. I know Wilton's bring stupid money, probably why I don't own any. That Reed looks just like that small middle one I posted above. Not worth more than $75. If you ever get by Mo. you can pick out one of those three I posted for $75. Good luck with your search.

Last edited:
Jeeeeez...I just looked in my area on craigslist and found a wilton for $450 (looked new) and some guy selling his fully restored vises from upwards of 800 and down to 225 for a desmond.

Welp....I am still looking for these estate sales I keep hearing all about.

I have a Yost 33C that I bought new a few years ago. Had to drive couple hours South into Illinois to pick it up. Found it on Craigslist for $300 brand new. I regularly use a 4ft pipe wrench with this vise and I can hand from that wrench on a 3" pipe and the vise doesn't break a sweat. Retails for almost $800.
1538701804726.jpg

Capture34.jpg

upload_2018-10-4_22-31-46.png

Welp....I am still looking for these estate sales I keep hearing all about.

To add insult to injury I also got 3 SnapOn torque wrenches at the same estate sale for $350. A 3/8" flex head, and two 1/2" covering 30-250 ft/lbs. They may have never been used.

Honestly it was one hell of a sale. The owner could have qualified as a tool hoarder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom