8x Series V8 Swaps (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So it finally got hot enough that I did my AC system this weekend. Bought a crimper and made up the hoses using the parts list @bloc posted. (Thanks!) Replaced the dryer and pulled a vacuum for an hour or so and charged it. Air was nice and cold, but according to a friend the pressures are not right. The high side is way to high. Also the compressor never would kick off.

We called it a night, did a little research and concluded we must have damaged the expansion valve when we flushed the lines. (It turns out flushing the expansion valve is a no-no).

The next day I replaced the expansion valve, pulled another vacuum for an hour and a half, and recharged with a little over 24oz of refrigerant. Got the same results as before.

Pic taken with engine running at 2k RPM:
4F40AD28-7C9C-4E94-AE6E-5FF983D873F7.jpeg

Temps are nice and cold but the pressures are wrong. We let some refrigerant out until we were comfortable with the pressures, and the temps were nice. (Last night) Today is mid 90s out and the vent temp at idle is almost warm, and while driving it cools down to barely adequate.

Anyone have any wisdom to share? I know nearly nothing about AC work.

Thanks in advance.

r you sure that harbor freight gauge is good i used it before and it was way off for me so now i have good stuff i did same thing made my own lines ,flushed whole system changed the dryer and charged it to 80 % cap. since i had R12 before it works excellent but i did add suzuki vitara condenser fan and it makes the air alamos ice cold 34F

I evacuated it, pulled a 2.5hr vacuum, and recharged it yesterday afternoon. It may be good now. Ambient temps were in upper 80s and I was getting low 40s at the vents. Compressor is now cycling. We will see later today what it does in mid 90s afternoon.

Are you running electric or mechanical fan?

I am using a mechanical fan. Before even starting on the AC work I thought about adding the 100 series pusher fan in the factory position “just because”. I think I will.

I'm using electric windstar fans and my AC does nothing without them running unless I'm doing 50 km/h or more.

Make sure your heater valve is adjusted proper and shutting off completely also.

I'm using electric windstar fans and my AC does nothing without them running unless I'm doing 50 km/h or more.

Make sure your heater valve is adjusted proper and shutting off completely also.

The AC system requires air flow over the condenser to work. A few companies make a controller that will turn on the fan(s) when you turn on the AC.

What compressor are you using? I have a compressor on mine from a suburban with dual air, and need something different that just has basic 2 ports on it rather than the complicated setup of working with the dual system compressor.

The one that came with the Yukon XL I bought.... Which had dual air.

The compressor itself is normal. Had odd hoses hooked to it though. Two ports on the compressor. Got a pic of yours?

has anyone kept the truck awd with an ls swap yet?? any idea on how much power it can hold?? Its not that i want to be cheap, its i really like the awd in winter lol
I had a 92 with lt1 383 11/1 comp pushing 500 hp 500 foot pounds it can handle it I could smoke my 35” tires daily it was my daily driver

Just mind the wire that powers the speed sensor. I accidentally deleted it on the part of the harness that goes from the barrel connector at the trans tunnel to behind the glove box and had to go back and add it for speedo to function.

Thanks cable man. All I have from the old harness is from the transfer case to the barrel connector, so I have to run new wires from that connector to the connectors behind the glove box.

Installing L96 with 6L80e. Using marks4wd kit.

Engines is in and mounts are useless because of RHD. I also don’t like how high and twisted it looks. Bought the Dirty Dingo and the Advance Adapters motor mounts. Any preference on the mounts?

I know a lot of people are using the 4L80/60, Also did anyone move the engine forward? I already tapped the PSIDE firewall. I would love to give it about an inch but will be happy just a half. I’m just wondering what people do tap the fire wall more or reposition the cross member, extend/shorten drive shafts etc.

I ovalled the holes in the cross member to move it forward and had the stock front shaft shortened 1.25". I made motor mounts using the 1fz mounts and a 1/4" plate bolted to the motor

i don't know why some people must bang the fair wall but in my swap i have almost 4 " between wall and head and transfer case is in the original spot

Engines is in and mounts are useless because of RHD. I also don’t like how high and twisted it looks. Bought the Dirty Dingo and the Advance Adapters motor mounts. Any preference on the mounts?

I know a lot of people are using the 4L80/60, Also did anyone move the engine forward? I already tapped the PSIDE firewall. I would love to give it about an inch but will be happy just a half. I’m just wondering what people do tap the fire wall more or reposition the cross member, extend/shorten drive shafts etc.
universal engine mount is ok but you will get some vibration at idle i m planning on swapping my universal one for volvo engine mount

i don't know why some people must bang the fair wall but in my swap i have almost 4 " between wall and head and transfer case is in the original spot

universal engine mount is ok but you will get some vibration at idle i m planning on swapping my universal one for volvo engine mount

Thanks!
I think your running a 4l60e. 30 inches long compared to 24 inches (6l80e). I may just move it like an inch forward - need to measure.
What mounts are you using? Im leaning more towards the DD mounts if all the accessories fit and the headers will clear.

I used the AA mounts. If I were to do it again I would probably make my own as I pretty much did on the frame side. I like their isolators also, BUT with the AC on there is vibration when the compressor kicks on and the idle drops for that second or so.

Plenty of firewall room with the 4l60, but it’s tighter to the core support in return. Especially if you are running a mechanical fan.

I built my own mounts and put the engine right where I wanted it. %.3L /6L80E with marks adapter. redrilled crossmember holes about 1" forward and 3/4" to passenger side and made sure drivetrain parallel with chassis. The slight offset to passenger was to get the truck acces. to clear the inside of frame rails. A/c on lower pass, P/s on lower drivers. It just worked out easier for me that way. No issue with F body oil pan or truck intake clearance. Its been 2 years since done

IMG_4380.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom