Black Plastidip/Auto Dip/Paint work on LX470 Front Grille (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All! I am debating doing some plastidip work on the front grill of my 07 LX470. Please can you share pictures of your work, if you have painted it black? My LX is white and I am debating if I should paint anything gloss black in the front grilll, at all. I already have black TRD rims, and painted a few of the rear emblems. .

Mine is not a Lexus but it gives you an idea.

A.J
IMG_20180512_135056.jpg
IMG_20170815_182410_896.jpg

Here’s mine. Flat black plasti-dip. I’ve been considering top coating with the plast-dip glossifier that supposedly adds UV resistance and I’d like to get a bit more of a semi gloss appearance out of it. I started it to cover the gold trim, but I’ll likely do all the chrome in it eventually. Easy to remove for “painting”. I put down no less than 4 coats.

6EE942D2-FDE8-4DCD-923C-F499876A5131.jpeg

Like that TEQ emblem @aljollano ! Might have to consider that.

Here’s mine. Flat black plasti-dip. I’ve been considering top coating with the plast-dip glossifier that supposedly adds UV resistance and I’d like to get a bit more of a semi gloss appearance out of it. I started it to cover the gold trim, but I’ll likely do all the chrome in it eventually. Easy to remove for “painting”. I put down no less than 4 coats.

View attachment 1710563
Thanks! I just did plastidip with glossifier on the rear lettering. I like it. It goes well with my glossy black Trd rims

1740FD7F-2907-4A07-AE71-A5E2F74EEA40.jpeg

I would leave the outer ring of the grille chrome and only black out the middle. Doing the whole thing in black just looks off (to me at least). The factory would never do it that way and it just looks cheap.

I did my GS430 grille this way about 5 years ago and it has held up amazing. No chips or peeling and I have put at least 60k miles on her since I did it. Just make sure to pull your masking tape in time to get a clean line.

I am thinking leaving out the surround grill and the L logo. If you see a New TRD Pro 4 Runner, which looks way nice, it has the Toyota logo in chrome and the rest is black. I would love to see one done like this.

For those that have plastidipprd the emblems....how difficult is that? Did you remove them and then attach them back to the vehicle or did you paint ye while they were on the vehicle?

I am thinking about plastidippimg my trim as well since it looks a little dated.

I had my grill Plasti-Dipped black for a few years. I liked it enough that I rattle canned it semi-gloss black, and painted the emblem some sort of anthracite metallic. Here's a fantastic night pic for you lol.

IMG_0454.JPG

For those that have plastidipprd the emblems....how difficult is that? Did you remove them and then attach them back to the vehicle or did you paint ye while they were on the vehicle?

I am thinking about plastidippimg my trim as well since it looks a little dated.
I just plasti-dipped them while on the car. I was a little excessive with the taping, but you get the picture. Taping took more time than actually painting :D

N0AUpRYAnzR4B0MwNMDIxqTQlwh796C7rRVez8MgWfmx11sKcHtTlS3mKpI50z4Jx_w-CrlrYb2bTIeMvHokTWrFPsa4Cih9NEQrz_hHT5wlHrkSVUpCftNmYxiBLcUBkqvpDNF4lrxpKPYKyp9kHB12uAdSeKWYbffC0rQHMS3LZD35MSTMMYnMEnP886MAfvXFo7RdNYxv-A9VyNIq8MMcSqAxFeU7IgGTX3Cktmhv7HFkD8-haWopz1Myt9zg_Muxhsx_huVoH_Z_1FfO7ZqTMa4H5bAK4opcBJhw0arWcziw6o2R8XgFxADLD_XXqY1OLHep9DNr-LamnMolCZYpAosHpWbqjWyphXU0zf94q8HbGLxQV0tuD-xbfZ1dTIiYi8a8n-1_GveXCUlLNiVvuugAlC7ArOCUwp0OBEeDm_QvcIXa3QRpcZzxaAs_GSfGOFsv9axrxb6G3sXn45AR-AH-a3Cn4yqW9R94jIWeh1bQNkpchTqmZmk8Ry-STjlo1rYRHCdrTdwG01r2ntZ8QV3--vZObKDWvpNRyzRwyBPdv9rwX322c5HcFRwk5QBselQ2IIvIMipc4UzwDIh7FkiLJL5lV7r7FB0x=w1618-h1213-no

Do it right on the vehicle and just tape around it

I taped off more like @Ouray19 because after the first coat I had a ton of residue on my bumper and it took forever to get off. Also with emblems in particular, you have to get all the way around them so you have to spray from the top, from the bottom, the sides, etc so it'll get everywhere.

Mines not black, but anthracite. That being said, just do it! It's like $14 to do it and if you don't like it, you can just take it right off! Plasti dip is a great way to see if you like it before actually painting it.

d4GOQake0AVI6BXxMwiiBAjMuJ-sl4Kb0wI6so0NcHRE9Oggi6UDR1_R2bG3LSFPNV9KpXGur4m6knUTW5nLEANiC5eICjNgEeNoNE8yCte1IMdUMNX8hfgRfHGSmxO3B_7BYvWM6Rgy6jaWleEHYnCw42CoI6HEUEYmIGUA6tl7ma5NKWXp6IHPMgG2moozsjp3K3nlmqYGi_zA5mHkk11oEQzx2i7WQjGuur4gM1liuncyLueF4grwy8QrEbibHSXXuPxpl4DO7ITavS-QckgNvR0qDjAWmoeCrKd3zuNOS7jn1h1sab6_ajJWjGFITXEDEjKY8O1pivsm5uAG86NJ2w1UQNKyQG9RskwFrInPXaLKN8UBWrytjaFCZHnVchu1chqrf-jU96hJTPzNJDfEW05pgU1mo2POJIQ4oxJg2xFtBTeIFmAuixxStyRkpHjTeyYKEuF0mxe5gTBR_rGXxo9enMKGI_L7PldXXsnbZLe2GNmMmAf47BMnGfU3C78497NUnJgKyZOg6vYqie3VKnRoCsdlw2SHB1PzLr0spkMF4P9By9Ba1M_xTrfiiPO5oLVIXQrfJhD4hNiAsLI84i5b_w47yf8_jzkH=w1618-h1213-no
Looks good, I was thinking of a color to match the 2006 rims.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom