4Plus Tire Carrier Setup (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

DomSmith

SILVER Star
Threads
Last edited:
I cut off my cooler/gas can carrier and welded on a flange on the carrier. Now I can bolt the cooler carrier on or remove it. It's easier for people to get in the back without the cooler carrier, and I could make different attachments such as a folding step ladder or giant water tank for showers, or a mountain bike rack.

Hoping to get back on the trail soon and have been really interested in others peoples setup and what additions they’ve made or what they carry.

Anyone care to share what they’re carrying and post up pics?

The only addition I've made to mine was to drill the pivot tubes and install a grease zerk in each one, before I installed it. Now I can grease the pivots without removing the swing arms.

Other than that, I just use it as-is:

Oh, and I almost forgot - I did build a 2M ham radio antenna mount to go on top of the tire carrier:

Last edited:
Any other setups or mods? Maybe links to the types of fuel/water cans that fit. I’ve seen a few that looked right only to find that the base is slightly too big?

Rotopax?

Maxtrax?

Maybe something custom underneath the basket?

I’d love some info on this setup from Sackwear...

4DAA0F9F-B131-4888-A4D2-F3137A8BF1AA.jpeg

Any other setups or mods? Maybe links to the types of fuel/water cans that fit. I’ve seen a few that looked right only to find that the base is slightly too big?

Rotopax?

Maxtrax?

View attachment 1712345

I don't want to bust your chops but here goes...

Get out and USE yours. Takes some trips, put some miles on the dirt, camp a bit, road trip a bit- soon enough you'll know EXACTLY what YOU want on the carrier, not just what others have done that LOOK cool (and I'll be the first to admit they do look cool). I have found experience teaches me exactly what I want to bring/add/delete.

Personally, on my home built tire carrier, I run a Hi-Lift, two antenna's CB/HAM, license plate, spare tire... and because of my usage over the past 10 years, I'm contemplating a second swing out for keeping my ARB Fridge outside the rig, freeing up some interior space.

Slightly on-topic...what are some solutions specific to this bumper for preventing it swinging into the body? I had planned to run gas struts similar to how they are setup on Lukes rear bumper but there isn't enough space b/w the bumper main body and swingarm pieces.

I don't want to bust your chops but here goes...

Get out and USE yours. Takes some trips, put some miles on the dirt, camp a bit, road trip a bit- soon enough you'll know EXACTLY what YOU want on the carrier, not just what others have done that LOOK cool (and I'll be the first to admit they do look cool). I have found experience teaches me exactly what I want to bring/add/delete.

Bust away Drew! No offense taken.

We have had more than our fair share of speed bumps the last few years and things are finally getting back to normal. My daughter is now 5 and we're in a position to do some traveling/adventure/camping in the near future. I'm hoping to make a few new basic purchases that will be usable as I get back into it with child in tow. Not looking to copy a cool looking setup that parks at the mall (nothing wrong with that though) just hoping to get some good ideas and not waste too much money on things that don't work. I have 38 gallon fuel capacity under the truck so no real NEED for fuel back there, hence the request for other ideas. Obviously our little Coleman cooler fits back there pretty well and of course there's the bottle opener...

rearcarrieropener.jpg

Agree that the best knowledge is gained by personal experience and am looking forward to that!

Also wanted to start a thread that could serve as a focal point (and historical reference) for those looking at rear tire/cooler setups and outside the box options that people may not have thought about. I had always thought it would be cool to add to the receiver on the spare tire carrier side (truck side) but haven't thought of anything good for that spot.

EDIT: I do like this though that 1911 has...

005.JPG

Appreciate the replies and hope to see some of you outside soon!

Last edited:
Slightly on-topic...what are some solutions specific to this bumper for preventing it swinging into the body? I had planned to run gas struts similar to how they are setup on Lukes rear bumper but there isn't enough space b/w the bumper main body and swingarm pieces.

I have found that tightening the collars keeps the swingouts pretty well controlled as not to hit the body. Now if you want to park on a slope with 95 lbs of gear on it and have it stay in one exact place you might need something more.

Use some stranded SS cable,some crimp sleeves,bolts and shrink tube to make some limiting straps.You can also make some tethers so you don't lose the carr clamp and pin

20180531_072850.jpg

20180531_072904.jpg

20180531_072916.jpg

hey guys , how did you run your wires for the license plate holder?
Did you run the wires up through the fender or through the door still ?

hey guys , how did you run your wires for the license plate holder?
Did you run the wires up through the fender or through the door still ?

From underneath the tub to the swing-out pivot and around (inside) the jerry can basket.

Rotopax?

Maxtrax?

View attachment 1712345
That folding table looks to be a frontrunner model that’s been bolted to the backside of the cooler rack. Clever and clean. Might go this same route. Ordered my stuff yesterday from 4plus. Now I’m poor..

Probably overboard for what you're looking for, but I added a switch to mine so I wouldn't forget to latch it and drive off!

Rubber boot and and adjusting-

TC5.jpg

Depressed-

TC6.jpg

Running the wire-

TC7.jpg

And the display when the carrier is unlatched! Also accompanied by a nice "BEEP BEEP BEEP" tone!

TC8.jpg

DSC03015.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom