Going to mount Scangauge....do I need to drill a hole.....? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
1999 LX470

Finally decided that (for now) I am going to mount my ScanGauge on the shifter console.

I have seen where others have done this and have pics of them in place but I don't recall anyone mentioning whether of not they had to drill a hole (or notch the corner) in the console to make room for the cable.

Looking at the fit of my console (very tight) I can't imagine that the cable would just squeeze in there.

Also...trying to figure out how to remove the console or lift it up in order to run the cable to the corner (where it will pass through). I don't see any screws to remove...so I am guessing it has 'clips'? And IF it has clips do you just lift straight up or some other direction to remove the console?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Flint

SG Mount3 - Copy.jpg

You don't need to drill anything to mount the SGII. There is already a small notch for the wire to pass through. You remove the whole shift knob cover, from the cup holder all the way to where it goes under the 12V outlets. You don't remove that passenger side beige piece. It's one big piece. There are a few wires to disconnect and it helps moving the transmission lever to give you more room to maneuver the whole thing off.

I have mine mounted there, no hole needed, there's enough room in the corner. As above, the whole flat piece of trim around the shifter will pull up and give you enough room to run the cable. Start at the back by the cupholders and move forward. If you want to remove the whole thing, just unscrew the t-case knob. Great time to clean out the non-removable cupholder piece.

You don't need to drill anything to mount the SGII.
I plan to use Velcro Strips to 'mount' the unit.

There is already a small notch for the wire to pass through.
I see a small amount of space there (don't know that I'd call it a "notch") but it still looks very tight. Maybe not?

You remove the whole shift knob cover, from the cup holder all the way to where it goes under the 12V outlets.
OK. So HOW is this done? Does it just pull up (via clips)? I can see that there is a parting line at the front of portion of the cover that separates it from the rear portion (Center Console). There is a screw at that juncture. It would 'appear' that the cup holder and the forward part of the cover will come off, leaving the rear portion (center console in place and the cover where the ash tray is?

You don't remove that passenger side beige piece. It's one big piece.
Mine (1999 LX470) is one piece...best I can tell. There doesn't look to be a 'passenger side' to remove separately. You lost me there?

There are a few wires to disconnect and it helps moving the transmission lever to give you more room to maneuver the whole thing off.

Seat heater wires would need to be disconnected for sure. T-case knob looks like it would need to come off. Moving the transmission lever to Drive or Second would appear to help with the removal. But honestly...I don't see why it would need to be 'removed' at all. Don't I just need enough space to fish a wire though to feed the cable up to the corner of the shifter cover?

^^^^^^ Expand for replies.

Sorry for all the questions.

I have mine mounted there, no hole needed, there's enough room in the corner. As above, the whole flat piece of trim around the shifter will pull up and give you enough room to run the cable. Start at the back by the cupholders and move forward. If you want to remove the whole thing, just unscrew the t-case knob. Great time to clean out the non-removable cupholder piece.

^^^^^^ That's what I need. So you DO just pull the cover up, no screws to take off, just clips.

I was still typing as you posted this. Thank You for your help.

FYI I just designed & 3D printed a ScanGauge mount for the upper console, complete with red map lights too. I'll be writing it up soon.

Ok, so are you willing to print out another of these? I would love one. PLEASE........ LOL

FYI I just designed & 3D printed a ScanGauge mount for the upper console, complete with red map lights too. I'll be writing it up soon.
View attachment 1710646

View attachment 1710647

View attachment 1710648

View attachment 1710649

That is actually where I wanted to put mine...but didn't want to have to fashion something homemade looking to dress it out. What you have come up with is EXCELLENT. Would love to do the same with mine.

If you plan to offer these to the public or even a 'one off' I would be very much interested. Good job! Want one.

View attachment 1710646

View attachment 1710647

View attachment 1710648

View attachment 1710649

Winner winner chicken dinner! Whoa that is nice. I'd buy one and don't even need one.

As far as pulling the center console pick up a set of cheap "trim tools" they are plastic pry bars and cats paw type tools. They are THE TOOLS TO HAVE when messing with the interior... but they are not needed to pull the console. Just reach down on the cup holders, grab it, and pull up... its like a big lego, you can't hurt anything, it will pop off and then you move forward repeating the same... grab, yank, remove. All the electronics are keyed so they can't get confused putting them back in. Easy peasy.

Winner winner chicken dinner! Whoa that is nice. I'd buy one and don't even need one.

As far as pulling the center console pick up a set of cheap "trim tools" they are plastic pry bars and cats paw type tools. They are THE TOOLS TO HAVE when messing with the interior... but they are not needed to pull the console. Just reach down on the cup holders, grab it, and pull up... its like a big lego, you can't hurt anything, it will pop off and then you move forward repeating the same... grab, yank, remove. All the electronics are keyed so they can't get confused putting them back in. Easy peasy.

Good info, thanks.

But I don't know if I even want to fool with it now that I've seen what @Ayune has come up with. I would love to have one of those. That is exactly where I wanted to put mine to begin with.

Good info, thanks.

But I don't know if I even want to fool with it now that I've seen what @Ayune has come up with. I would love to have one of those. That is exactly where I wanted to put mine to begin with.

But then will where you put your switches? :bounce:

IMG_3048.JPG

@flintknapper @REZARF @tracknod
I plan to offer these to folks, I'm still working on the final fitment & installation. I was waiting to show it until I did a complete write up but then I saw this "drill holes in my dash" thread and thought omg wait don't do that!

I'll follow up in the ScanGauge thread(s) shortly with details.

Way to innovate man. Make one for my switches and I will be your guinea pig...

I plan to offer these to folks, I'm still working on the final fitment & installation. I was waiting to show it until I did a complete write up but then I saw this "drill holes in my dash" thread and thought omg wait don't do that!

That is awesome. I’d be happy with a version without the red lights too...

We are living in the future... “hey, can you print me out a part?”

That is awesome. I’d be happy with a version without the red lights too...

We are living in the future... “hey, can you print me out a part?”
Yea, one good thing about 3D printing is there's no minimum quantity requirements, so it's no problem to delete a certain feature (like the lights) and run a part.

I'm not sure if I'd ever use the lights, but I've seen other people change their OEM lights to red and thought "while I'm at it, why not put them in." My kids think they're cool, like Star Wars.

Great. Looking forward to it. I Will hold off mounting mine until your product is available. Thank You for the time and effort you have put into it.

O.K. so...while I am waiting for @Ayune to begin offering his EXCELLENT looking overhead inserts, I have decided to just rest my Scangauge on the Ashtray. It's about the easiest place to put one.

I have absolutely no other use for an Ashtray..so that's where it's going for now.

Simple to just drill a hole in the rear of the Ashtray and run your cable through it.

The Ashtray is not metal...but an almost 'bakelite' substance. Pretty hard...and feels rather brittle..so use a good sharp bit and go slowly. I drilled a pilot hole and then used a 'stepped bit' to finish up.

You'll need a minimum of 1/2" to fit the RJ45 plug through. I happened to have a rubber grommet on hand so I used it, but I can't see the cable ever rubbing through if you didn't.

The RJ45 receptacle on the ScanGauge (rear) is not centered...so take that into account when marking the spot to drill your hole.

Tray2.jpg

Ashtray Mount.jpg

Last edited:
O.K. so...while I am waiting for @Ayune to begin offering his EXCELLENT looking overhead inserts, I have decided to just rest my Scangauge on the Ashtray. It's about the easiest place to put one.

I have absolutely no other use for an Ashtray..so that's where it's going for now.

Simple to just drill a hole in the rear of the Ashtray and run your cable through it.

The Ashtray is not metal...but an almost 'bakelite' substance. Pretty hard...and feels rather brittle..so use a good sharp bit and go slowly. I drilled a pilot hole and then used a 'stepped bit' to finish up.

You'll need a minimum of 1/2" to fit the RJ45 plug through. I happened to have a rubber grommet on hand so I used it, but I can't see the cable ever rubbing through if you didn't.

The RJ45 receptacle on the ScanGauge (rear) is not centered...so take that into account when marking the spot to drill your hole.

View attachment 1712594

Mine is on the ashtray as well. Works perfect for me. I just ran the cord over the back/top of the ashtray and then velcro'd the scangauge down. Had it that way for over 8 months and ton plenty of offroading. Very convenient and easy to read location. No cutting either. Anxiously awaiting @Ayune to release that overhead kit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom