Supercharged 1FZ-FE owners (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

RFB

97 FZJ80 LIFTED SC DUAL BATTERIES,37s
Threads
Website
www.youtube.com
What spark plugs are you running and has anyone changed out the injectors, to wrx injectors?

What is the intent with the injectors?
I have no idea, they were offered to me as an upgrade and honestly I have no idea what they do, besides more fuel is injected?

I have no idea, they were offered to me as an upgrade and honestly I have no idea what they do, besides more fuel is injected?

I think the logic was that the SC rigs go severely lean at high rpm. In reality, I think it is only a problem on the OBD I rigs, but not so much on OBD II, unless you motor is overboosted or over built like stroked, bored, cammed.

I think the logic was that the SC rigs go severely lean at high rpm. In reality, I think it is only a problem on the OBD I rigs, but not so much on OBD II, unless you motor is overboosted or over built like stroked, bored, cammed.
No Im asking because I dont know. My truck runs great( i think) Ive never actually driven another LC at all. So when a member offered the wrx upgrade I passed but Ive always wondered what it would do. I passed because reliabilty is paramount. I travel a lot and it has never let me down, But still I was curious. thanks guys

No Im asking because I dont know. My truck runs great( i think) Ive never actually driven another LC at all. So when a member offered the wrx upgrade I passed but Ive always wondered what it would do. I passed because reliabilty is paramount. I travel a lot and it has never let me down, But still I was curious. thanks guys
I agree - stock injectors not only work fine but have a solid reputation for not letting you down. I wouldn't think twice. Plus that guy could have been a lizard person.

I agree - stock injectors not only work fine but have a solid reputation for not letting you down. I wouldn't think twice. Plus that guy could have been a lizard person.
Thats what I though on both counts

Some of the alternative injectors are from other Toyota’s, so in theory they SHOULD be reliable. Our stickers have 4 holes in the nozzle, but there are. Replacements that offer a 12 hole tip. Biggest benefit reported IIRC was smoother idle and stronger transition from idle up into mid range rpm.

Some of the alternative injectors are from other Toyota’s, so in theory they SHOULD be reliable. Our stickers have 4 holes in the nozzle, but there are. Replacements that offer a 12 hole tip. Biggest benefit reported IIRC was smoother idle and stronger transition from idle up into mid range rpm.
Easier to clog?

The supercharger would be very hard pressed to make an OBDII truck go lean at WOT, even with a small pulley they just can’t push enough air. You will have issues with AIT before you have fueling issues.

There might be some validity to the 4 hole vs 12 hole and fuel atomization issue, but there are a lot of parameters that you would want to match, it isn’t just rated fuel flow.

You would want to match:
Impedance
Dwelltime
Deadtime
Injector slope
Latency
Etc

Or just throw parts at it and see what happens..... reliability will likely take a hit. Lol

The supercharger would be very hard pressed to make an OBDII truck go lean at WOT, even with a small pulley they just can’t push enough air. You will have issues with AIT before you have fueling issues.

There might be some validity to the 4 hole vs 12 hole and fuel atomization issue, but there are a lot of parameters that you would want to match, it isn’t just rated fuel flow.

You would want to match:
Impedance
Dwelltime
Deadtime
Injector slope
Latency
Etc

Or just throw parts at it and see what happens..... reliability will likely take a hit. Lol

So you don’t think that ox #1 sensor will feed info to the ECU and that will adjust fuel mixture back to 14.7 ??

Not sure I understand the question. During closed loop operation on an OBDII truck the O2 sensor will tell the ECU that the truck is above or below stoch it won’t tell the ECU it’s at 14.7 because narrow band sensors don’t have that granularity.

But in open loop the ECU doesn’t have any feedback from the O2 sensors. Hence the “open” loop. So a larger injector will inject more but even on a SC truck it goes overly rich with the stock injectors. Larger injectors would simply magnify the problem.

So with bigger injectors you will still be too lean during closed loop and now even more rich during open loop. You could attempt to size the bigger injectors with a larger MAF housing but this changes where the truck is on the load map and causes other issues.

Realistically someone wanting more power than the stock injectors and TRD/Turbo setup put out in stock configuration has to go to a standalone ECU. Then you have control of injector sizing, you can run a wideband O2, you can have the right load, fuel and ignition maps for forced induction.

So you don’t think that ox #1 sensor will feed info to the ECU and that will adjust fuel mixture back to 14.7 ??

Last edited:
So basically it would make little to no difference in closed loop and it would run like crap in open loop?

So with bigger injectors you will still be too lean during closed loop and now even more rich during open loop. You could attempt to size the bigger injectors with a larger MAF housing but this changes where the truck is on the load map and causes other issues.

what other issues specifically would someone who did this experience?

Resizing the injectors and MAF? Real bad gas mileage, no real issues, it would change where you went into open loop since the load map would be off. But if you get them close enough and the computer could adjust injector pulse width and the idle control valve could still adjust low enough for the extra air it should be ok. About 10 years maybe more this is how the Subaru guys did it on the ‘90s turbos before buying piggyback computers.

Last edited:

I was thinking of the 105 injectors, but I don’t remember the flow rate on them vs the stock 80 ones? IIRC they have more holes and a little higher flow rate. Aren’t they a direct fit?

Resizing the injectors and MAF? Real bad gas mileage, no real issues, it would change where you went into open loop since the load map would be off. But if you get them close enough and the computer could adjust injector pulse width and the idle control valve could still adjust low enough for the extra air it should be ok. About 10 years maybe more this is how the Subaru guys did it on the ‘90s turbos before buying piggyback computers.

Thats not been my experience at all. I've actually seen an increase in fuel mpg.

Regarding original question:

Toyota MR2 Turbo platinum plugs as gapped.
Original stock injectors.

Save your pennies and pray the air to water intercooler actually goes into production.
As Ryan stated, heating of air charge is biggest issue with Roots style compressors.

Reactions: RFB
Regarding original question:

Toyota MR2 Turbo platinum plugs as gapped.
Original stock injectors.

Save your pennies and pray the air to water intercooler actually goes into production.
As Ryan stated, heating of air charge is biggest issue with Roots style compressors.

Water/meth injection already been done quite successfully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom