Builds Goat. A 1967 survivor FJ-45 LWB (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Damn.

I got them.

I did it.

I cranked it up each corner and adjusted each one again.

It will now stop on the first push. It won’t lock up on the first push but it stops.

Huge.

I personally don’t want lockup on first pump, just good stopping power. Lockup is not the answer to good braking. That’s why we have ABS now.

You’re there it sounds like. And the crowd goes nuts... :bounce::bounce2:

I was proudly cruising back through the farm after using all my power tools and the motor mount broke.

Pride. It will always get you in he end.

Metal fan on metal shroud. That’s loud.

Paging @beno

5B4EDC52-A774-4C2D-BCB6-565BDC4FB4C9.jpeg

Braking and and Stopping a Car without ABS

How to Brake and Stop a Car in the Shortest Distance

I`m a J4 drummer since 1980 .... and believe me I never need discs.

a.greenspan = doctor do little`s emergency account :)

what`s new on my RED
got 5 new Dunlop Qualifer 7.50x16 tires and tubes...
1da2c90f-6db1-4e31-ae3d-e8143d746155.png

and the whole combination ( drums & tires) stopped immediatley beside a aspraragus field to pick some asparagus yesterday.... great.:)

Last edited:
Braking and and Stopping a Car without ABS

How to Brake and Stop a Car in the Shortest Distance

I`m a J4 drummer since 1980 .... and believe me I never need discs.

a.greenspan = doctor do little`s emergency account :)

what`s new on my RED
got 5 new Dunlop Qualifer 7.50x16 tires and tubes...
1da2c90f-6db1-4e31-ae3d-e8143d746155.png

and the whole combination ( drums & tires) stopped immediatley beside a aspraragus field to pick some asparagus yesterday.... great.:)

White asparagus?

So @middlecalf , I disagree. I want the potential to lock up on the first stroke and the skill not to do so.

I do have 3 other non-abs Cruisers. I know how to stop them. I hope further tinkering can get me even closer.

Not today though because I broke a motormount yesterday taking it off some sweet jumps.

3CB0B680-02D3-42A2-A15B-EB5AF69770BD.jpeg

When I was stationed near Bremerhaven 1991-1993 I discovered I liked Asparagus after going to a White festival. Hike. Drink beer. Eat. Repeat.

The engine has 4 mounts. The 2 rear mounts are bolted through, therefore are the tork arresters. The 2 fronts are just holder-upper mounts. If the rear mounts have allowed so much motion that a front mount has failed, then the rear mounts need attention.

TLDR: The engine shouldn't move around much, even if 1 out of 4 mounts is broken.

I can see the front is broken Jim. It’s completely severed.

Also with this metal shroud it does not take much to hit. It’s not hitting at idle just when I apply gas.

Thanks for the tip. I’ll check the rears now too.

Sending unit help.

I found a new old stock 67 sending unit for the goat.

The old one would get me from park position to empty when the tank was full.

The new one gets me to 1/3 tank.

Better but not fixed.

Should I bend the float like a toilet bowl?

Down to get more resistance?

C8EA8AF1-3233-4337-9F7F-22BDA2C0F343.jpeg

Well bending it got me nowhere. Guess my old sending unit was fine. Must be the gauge.

It gets a signal at 12v. Moves up. Clicks once at E then heads up to 1/3 tank (tank is full)

Old one had no click but only went to E and stopped.

One thing though. When I put sending unit in when I redid the tank back in January I used RTV. That was a mistake. It was gummy. And would have caused a problem soon.

I did not have the proper rubber gasket but lo and behold the early rubber thermostat gasket works great with a trim.

598E2FBE-04B4-43DA-BF0A-8E59C04EA9B0.jpeg

Hi Nolan - read through this whole tread. What a great job on the 45. I really appreciate that you are trying to keep the 45 as an original survivor. It looks like this truck is a perfect candidate for this. I wish my 45 was as complete and as original as yours. I was thinking of clear coating my truck but after seeing pictures of the linseed oil coating I am thinking of going that route. Did you have any dust sticking to the linseed oil? How often do you think the truck would need to be recoated if it sat outside all the time? Also what brand rust converter did you use under the truck and are you using any sealer on top of the rust converter? If you already covered this topic and I missed it I'll apologize in advance.

Thank you @60/40GUY

I’m happy with the linseed oil so far. I’m still in the original coat. Truck stays in the garage but I have tons of dust and pollen.

It does collect some dust but the way I do it I rub as much off after applying it
As I can

I think the layer I have is halting rust

I won’t reapply until the bare rust
Areas dry out.

One part I purchased back when I loaded up on brake cylinders from
@cruiseroutfit was a parking brake rebuild kit.

Easy enough right?

I popped off the rear driveshaft and took a belly full of 90wt on my nice @Cruiser Corps Tshirt.

Dammit

I’ve never had a driveshaft act as a seal for a leaky speedo housing

Ugh. Dammit. Crap. All of the above. A simple rebuilt parking brake is now a rebuilt speedo housing via Mudrak.

Dammit.

Did I say dammit?

38F1E008-9215-4AFE-80E7-465C882671CD.jpeg

:hillbilly:

Have you used a speedy sleeve already?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom