The Coleman Thread (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got the 500A finished up, with another 200A lantern.

48A7D630-0771-43CF-A90A-A68519EAE114.jpeg

Nice. 500's rock. What are you using for vent paint? Do you run them after paint? Just wondering how it holds up.

I’ve been using some high temp black texture powder coating on all the other stuff, but got some samples of some high temp bronze, silver,, and black metallic, powders. They are rated to 800- 1000 degrees. We will see.
The 500A got the grill red hot preatty quick the center, and it did burn off. Notice the odd color of the flame...I think it’s the fuel I took out of the brass font 242 when I got it...
The high temp powder coat seems to work great for lantern vents though!
I have yet to find a high temp powder color to match the Coleman Red, or Green...but I’m going to keep an eye out.

36928D12-7FF1-4245-A108-9D3589AC84C0.jpeg

oh good grief

Man I need to dig out my Coleman stuff and get it tuned up.

We actually used a Coleman 2-burner on our recent Greenland Crossing expedition... it only caught on fire twice :D

Man I need to dig out my Coleman stuff and get it tuned up.

We actually used a Coleman 2-burner on our recent Greenland Crossing expedition... it only caught on fire twice :D
Are they supposed to work by catching on fire? :D:bounce::D:bounce:

I still use our Coleman 2 burner liquid fuel stoves.

The 425B when I'm trying to save space. This is a great smaller 2 burner stove & puts out a ton of heat. When space is not an issue I sometimes substitute the 425B for my 413. Great stoves at higher altitudes...and each one cost $10, less than $30-40 total in case you need to purchase some parts from Old Coleman Parts.

That 425B is built like a tank...very heavy metal.

Edit: added the B to 425

Last edited:
425 no letter? I've got a no letter, an A and one I bought new in the 90s. Yes the early ones are heavy and have legs.

correct you a are! 425B. Added the B to my above post. Yeah, those legs on the 425B, didn't really like them at 1st. Now tho I actually prefer the legs vs the ones w/o legs.

As far as dates, no dates on either of my 425B's but earlier in this thread someone said the 425B's were from 1959-1960. Not certain that's correct or not.

Last edited:
full

Not Coleman. Late 40s Prentiss Waybers stove. Got it half way restored before the weekend. Will paint the case when I get home. This thing runs amazing. Bacon in a 100 year old skillet on a 70 year old stove just tastes better.
I am hoping to get mine done this summer! Burn on!

I love this thread!
I am going on vacation/family reunion next week and will be packing my 10/1946 Model 242C Coleman lantern and two of my many (insert
stupid number here) camp stoves. Probably my 1966 425D and my restored 1983 425E I got from my father in-law. Restoration page here: Coolermans Stove Restore

Here is a pic of the Model 242C after it fell from a 16' scaffold onto my concrete shop floor...:cry: What was it doing up there? I was wiring my shop lights at night and was using it for light. I was moving the scaffold and one of it's wheels hit a a spool of wire. Did I mention the lantern was lit at the time? When it hit the floor the globe (not the original globe thankfully! That was wrapped up in a box. It had a 200A globe on it at the time.) shattered and I was expecting a large fireball. It just sort of flared up then went out! When I picked it up the fount was badly bent as you can see. I put another 200A globe on it, bent it back and it lit right back up! Has become my favorite lantern.
IMG_6171M.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom