Rear View Camera Trigger Help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I replaced the stock unit on my 97 with a Sony XAV-AX100, bypassed the factory amp by purchasing the Metra harness and added a backup camera. The camera is from amazon. https://www.amazon.com/NOAUKA-Water...pID=41qxiBolD0L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Install went great, love the Sony and apple play. Sounds so much better. I pretty much followed @baggar11 write up exactly and it was very helpful. Sony XAV-AX100 Install w/ Backup Cam Here are some pics of the install:

Only problem for me is the that when I kick it into reverse the trigger isn’t happening. However when on the home screen I can choose rear view camera. When in park it says no signal, put it into reverse and the camera clicks on. It wont trigger any other way unless I have selected rear view camera. I have dug thought the settings on the head unit and cant find anything that could possibly be selected that isnt allowing me to trigger the camera.

Any help would be much appreciated.

90CD94B4-AC9B-4182-BE8A-68AE0C328665.jpeg

0A17B497-FEE8-42C2-A8D3-A3C8C2B0F69A.jpeg

8160D8C6-38A5-4989-8838-ECF6487E23CA.jpeg

Is the head unit getting the signal from your reverse lights?

I just did this last week. What wire are you tapping to get the reverse signal? It sounds like you tapped the correct wire at the rear of the vehicle but did not do the same on the receiver side.

To make it easy, I used the below. The red pigtail taps into the reverse bulb wire on one side and then connects to the receiver wiring harness reverse lead on the other end

0CFFFC1D-13C4-4095-869C-8E5FE9508B69.jpeg

What did you connect to the camera trigger wire on the Sony? Purple wire iirc.

What did you connect to the camera trigger wire on the Sony? Purple wire iirc.

Yes I connected the rca to the back of the sony and the smaller gauge wire that was attached to same end as the rca cable to the purple wire.

Are you using the same rca with pigtails that I posted above?

I just put a button on my center console that I press for the camera.

I had a rca cable w/wire on it..... throw it away, it’s junk! Run your own rca (or continue to use the cheap one) and just run a new 14 gauge power wire. The one I bought (like pictured) had a break in it...... twice! I think they built it with tin foil!
*when you run new wire, run it to a switch, that way you can turn camera on whenever you want.

+1 the RCA cable could be crap.

Buddy did a customer’s BMW with FR/RR cameras, had a bad RCA that wouldn’t let the FR camera send signal - I’d just happened to be there when he troubleshot the cable & found it faulty.

It could be a bad cable but before you rip it out check to see that you have a good connection to the trigger wire on the head unit. Also, if you have a multi meter, starting at the head unit end, check for 12v between the red rca pigtail and vehicle ground when you put it in reverse. There’s a piece of metal right behind the radio that works for ground. Even a cheap harbor freight $3 meter will do.

@SLCFJ did you ever get this figured out? By chance I bought the same head unit for my 80 and would love to know how you got the reverse gear to power up the camera.

@SLCFJ did you ever get this figured out? By chance I bought the same head unit for my 80 and would love to know how you got the reverse gear to power up the camera.

Not yet. My summer is getting away from me and my projects are piling up on the Cruiser. I am planning on test with a amp meter and if that doesn’t work I’ll replace the cables. I’ll post an update after I get into it shortly.

I assume you already checked that you're not plugged into the wrong port on the back of the hu? Cause that's exactly what I did to mine last week. My wire did not look like yours either.

Did you ground the back somewhere?
Good luck

@SLCFJ I know exactly how you feel. Just got done with a knuckle rebuild. Now I've gotta replace my rear rotors/pads/calipers/full e-brake resto, replace all soft brake lines, perform minor rear axle restoration (rust removal, paint), this Sony/cam install, and just ordered new carpet. It's silly now. But....it'll all be great when it's done. ;)

I thought I found the wire that powers the reverse lights behind the driver's side kick panel, a red wire with a solid blue line. My truck is a 97. But that did not do the trick - putting the truck in reverse does nothing. I can, however, turn on the camera manually from the head unit. Hmmm.....

No need to mess with anything in the kick panel. Tap the reverse bulb as described above. The other end of the same wire connects at the receiver

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom