IBS Charging Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am a new LC owner, just installed the IBS system and am getting ready for several weeks away from civilization which will be my first use of the dual battery setup. I have an Optima yellow top as my aux battery and an older Bosch for the main (ok, but needs replacing before winter). I am using the aux for an ARB fridge, several additional USB & 12v charging ports and a small inverter. I expect to camp for several days at a time between driving. My question is concerning the proper way to recharge the aux battery. I understand that the IBS system will isolate the batteries and charge of the main before charging the aux under normal driving conditions. But what if I want to idle the vehicle for some time to specifically recharge the aux battery to keep the fridge running when I don't plan to drive for a few days? 2 questions:

1. How effective / ineffectively will alternator charge while the vehicle is idling?
2. Is it 'proper' / acceptable to use the 'link' feature on the IBS controller to connect the two batteries, let the vehicle idle for some time, with the goal to focus the recharge on the second battery (not really 'focused' as they are linked, but with the main goal to get that second battery charged a bit more to keep the fridge cold).

I will be out of all contact range for couple weeks and trying to get a handle on best usage practices before I go, and then I'll go give it a shot and keep an eye on the battery levels.

A 100 watt solar panel with an appropriate charge controller, would solve your problem and provide some piece of mind.

A full charge on a battery takes hours, so idling isn't very practical. You can put a partial charge in the battery fairly fast though, but the last 20% or so is much slower which is why solar, which is charging all day, is so much better for your battery and long term battery life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom