Fj40 coolant /water inquiry (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Use full strength Factory Red fluid , mix it 50/50 with distilled water

fill it till its full

images369.jpeg

i think your making it too complicated: it's hard to give a firm number because we don't know if your cooling system is completely dry or perhaps you just changed your radiator? also, you probably want to match the color of your coolant with the type that is in there now (or has been in there previously unless you flushed your system). I usually mix up on gallon of coolant at a time (50/50 coolant/ water) and then just start pouring it in the radiator until it is full. after it runs a while the air bubbles will work their way out and you will have to add more. just continue until it stabilizes

Recently filled my system after refresh and new radiator. 2F, oil cooler, front heater and oem 4 core rad. Purchased 2 gallons green concentrate and 2 gallons distilled water. After burping, was close to perfect amount.

Would draining water from the block drain all the water from the system while engine is running ?

Would draining water from the block drain all the water from the system while engine is running ?

Maybe, maybe not. But you could be turning your water pump without lubrication and could maybe not have coolant against your temp sensor and get a false reading. You could overheat in some areas not knowing it as well as cause damage to the pump.

I don't think so. I assume you're meaning the block drain plug on the driver's side below the rear most exhaust manifold. If there's no crud buildup in the water jackets, in theory it should, but I wouldn't count on it.

Use full strength Factory Red fluid , mix it 50/50 with distilled water

fill it till its full

View attachment 1709857

Is it necessary to use Toyota red in these old cast iron engines? This wasn't even around when the 40 series were made. Thought that had more to do with aluminum. I've always had good luck using old green antifreeze and distilled water in a 50/50 mix.

What ever you use could dump a gallon of antifreeze and gallon distilled water. Then mix the next gallon of 50/50 using the first empty antifreeze container. Then what is left is already mixed. My biggest problem with premix is being sure it's distilled water. Using my own distilled water I know for sure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom