Moab Finns and Things - Stock Vehicle Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 2005 LX470 with functioning AHC and a set of Tundra Take-Offs wrapped in the stock Tundra 275/65R18 Michellen LTX A/T2s. I am about 3 hours from Moab Utah and wanted to do a day trip (or potentially a one night) down there. I’ve found some good guidelines online and here, but didn’t find something that quelled my fears enough.

3 primary questions:
Anyone successfully done it in a stock vehicle with sidesteps? (I know I know, my wife is super short and is hesitant for me to get rid of them!
Any concerns about destroying a front or back bumper because of approach/departure angles?
Any packing list advice would be appreciated so I can be prepared as far as the vehicle goes?

Thanks in advance! I always appreciate the wisdom shared here!

Or, another option... am I so noob that I’m not even asking the right questions? If so, feel free to share any wisdom that I’m completely missing.

IIRC, last year at Cruise Moab, a guy ran Fins with us in a stock 100 series. He bailed out after the first half, with no body damage. The second half is a bit tougher and he didn’t want to break anything.

Do you have a trailer hitch? Rear bumper will take hits, hitch might protect it, with expert driving and taking bypasses when available for big ledges. Not familiar with how high AHC gets you and if is high enough for steps to clear.
Front bumper is probably safe. Going to have risks.

I have run F&T several times, it is an awesome trail. With your setup, you will (not maybe) rip your bumpers off and or scuff and scrape them quite a bit. Your rockers will likely fair okay if you have a perfect line to protect them. In all honesty, if you're not ready to take some serious scraping on your bumpers, or more likely pulling them off then I would suggest some milder trails....

Chicken Corners
Porcupine
White Rim

FWIW, I would not take a 100 series to Moab without sliders... it's so fun to play but in the moment you'll always try more since it is so fun and your tires stick like glue, your rockers will be hammered on the first ledge you climb up or down that you didn't have clearance for.

if you pay attention and have a spotter a local is always good if you really want to do it and are nervous stop by moab motorsports and the owner rory irish will help or put you in with someone that knows the ropes. only issue is if you have a trailer hitch other than that I ran it with a kid in a stock lexus 470 no drama lo and slow.

if you pay attention and have a spotter a local is always good if you really want to do it and are nervous stop by moab motorsports and the owner rory irish will help or put you in with someone that knows the ropes. only issue is if you have a trailer hitch other than that I ran it with a kid in a stock lexus 470 no drama lo and slow.

That is impressive! Most 60's and 100's I have seen that are stock make a LOT of unpleasant sounds when coming off some of the ledges. In all reality I'd bet that a hitch SAVES more bumpers than ones without.

You'd need a permit for White Rim. It's only easy to get in the hottest summer days. Good luck!

wr.JPG

Hey thank ya’ll!!! I’m looking into more tame options for a first pass. You’ve all given me some good options and most importantly, I’m gonna bug the wife about a good set of sliders!

Much thanks! It’s always nice to have a crew of people that share their wisdom!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom