New here (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there. I have never owned a land cruiser, but have always desired a diesel wagon, and will be looking at an 80's vintage 60 series diesel come early June. (Once the owner returns home). I have been told 3rd hand that it is a 6cyl turbo. That it was imported from Europe. I have seen it, it has been painted, has a snorkel and a winch bumper. It has been sitting and not run for a few years. More than that I can't say till I get to look at it. So I am here looking for some diesel buying pointers. Also areas to look for rust that are specific to these trucks. I intend to add photos of the vehicle once I get to see it (whether I buy it or not). I am mechanically inclined, and no stranger to Toyotas. There has been a daily driver pre-84 4x4 in the driveway for about 24 years now (well there's been 6 of them) and I also have an '89 4runner.

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

I've never owned a 60 series so I can't help there but I would like to welcome you to Mud, officially.

:flipoff2:

Surely someone will be along to give you some useful advice. This is a great community and most are really helpful. I'm looking forward to your pics and potential purchase.

Everywhere on these trucks likes to rust-frame/wheel wells/doors/roof-every single seam. Look closely, specially since it was painted, might be hiding under there.

Make sure you check the suspension! My truck has a bent leaf spring hanger that I didn't notice when buying the vehicle. It's been the cause of 4 blown rear shocks, replaced u joints (and it needs it again), and possibly transmission and diff problems. I have to drill out he rivets, remove the brake and fuel lines from the back side of the frame and weld a new one in place. I'm not looking forward to it and I may have passed on this truck if I had noticed it up front.

Welcome to Mud and the "search feature" is your friend, sensi and muse:D

Hi, and thanks! Yes I am afraid of what may be lurking under the paint. The rust problem inside the frame above the rear front spring perches is also a problem with the older pickups. I did try to search for a 'what to look for when buying' primer; like I found on the T4R site, but didn't find one. My spare time these days, with two young children, is pretty limited.

You should link this thread to the Diesel Tech / 24 volts forum.
They can help you out on the engine.

Also a search can help, in the recent months what to look for has been covered extensively.

N3CCAi6
N3CCAi6.jpg
a>

Last edited:
So I have taken a look at it. 4cyl diesel, 1982 or 1983, I haven't looked yet. It has sat for two years, I pulled the batteries out and will charge them.

DSC_4647.JPG

DSC_4648.JPG

DSC_4649.JPG

DSC_4654.JPG

DSC_4655.JPG

that doesn't look half bad based on what you've posted...but i'd be willing to bet it's a lot worse elsewhere. post pics of the undercarriage.

sat for 2 years...covered or out in the elements?

what's the price you're gonna have to pay to acquire this thing?

i looked at a blue canadian diesel that had been tortured in alaska for 10+ years...i kinda wanted to buy it....but it was a giant rust pit. ran great....it was a very bad blue respray over an originally red truck. the inside was a disgusting rotten mess.

the seller wanted $8000.00

i passed. the community here was pretty honest that 8k asking was 6k too high.

I've started a thread in the diesel forum. The underneath looks pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom