HELP WITH OVER HEATING LJ73 TURBO 2.0 LTD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I finished rebuilding my engine.
Then all of a sudden overheat. We can check the water pump, radiator cap, thermostat, radiator. Also did 3 chemical test and all came back negative. It leads me to believe that my to 2 things. A bad head gasket or cracked head.
HELP!

I have spent tons of money on this truck. NOT ready to give up just yet. But.... It's getting there.
Can any suggest anything?

ENGINE SWAP OR UPGRADE?

The engine is 2.0 LT
Turbo Diesel
The car ran perfectly fine for 6 months after engine rebuilt.
She sounds too good and runs perfectly...

Now I can drive the LJ73 for 6 miles and the temp gauge reads 1/2 and all of a sudden the water temp jumps. Almost as if there is a hot spot. We will take the head off next week for a closer look.

If its gasket issue will have to locate one
If its a cracked head? That's a gonna really put a huge damper.

Last edited:
Hi!

My first thought is that it might just be the gauge tricking you if it jumps sudden without you pushing it or anything else.
The LJ73 is known for jumping fuel and temp gauges scaring the s..t out of you if your not familiar with the problem.

Second the fanclutch and t-stat is pretty easy to service before you change the engine.
And of course add a second temp gauge to your engine to make sure that the oe shows correct.

Is the reservoir emty after filling it up, if yes it might be the head (preassure blowing in the coolant often cause this) and the temp rises.

Probably a headgasket or cracked head. Put a new upgraded head on it ( plenty of treads here on Mud) and make sure that the other components like waterpump and radiator are in good condition before running it again.

We check and triple check all coolant.
Replaced the fan clutch
Replace radiator cap.
Replace thermostat
Had the radiator pressure tested and ( Perfect )
Made sure the no air in the system.

The crazy thing is that this little engine / fully rebuilt runs so good. I managed to get a good couple cycle on the engine. 6 months.
When it overheats it's not instant. She runs smooth water gauge mid-level for a good 5 miles at 3,000 rpm.
Then all of sudden. She overheats.
Almost as is a hot spot is taking place? or could be the gasket or cracked head.

I have sunk so much time and money rebuilding this truck, I don't want to give up just yet.
So we're opening the engine up next Tuesday to see if its the head or gasket. Can someone help me locate an upgraded head just in case. I am in Virginia.

Trust me she boils out of control. Almost as if air pockets takes place. The overflow tank is bubbling out of control. Having to stop and add more water to make it back to the shop.

Ok's lets assume its a gasket. Any good source for a head gasket?
Let's assume its the head. What are my options on where I can get a new head?

When the engine was rebuilt, was the head checked for warpage and xrayed?
Was the radiator taken apart and the cores rodded?

Ok's lets assume its a gasket. Any good source for a head gasket?
Let's assume its the head. What are my options on where I can get a new head?

Where did you get the parts 6 months ago when you rebuild the engine? Same place should be able to hook you up with the gasket or the head.

When the engine was rebuilt, was the head checked for warpage and xrayed?
Was the radiator taken apart and the cores rodded?

Yes the head was managluxed and passed perfectly.
The cylinders were slightly enlarged with a new set of pistons to the next size up at time of rebuilt.

The radiator was taken out inspected and the flow is perfect a small hole was discovered and fixed. Now perfect

You can buy a new 3L head from Toyota or an aftermarket head.

Wow really. I can put a 3L head on a 2 LTD
Would that require any modification on my part.
Would that affect the compression? I would assume it would lower the compression?
Can you post me a link where I can find what I am lookin for.

Wow really. I can put a 3L head on a 2 LTD
Would that require any modification on my part.

I dont think they make the 2L head now and the 3L is used as a replacement. I havent done it ,but there was discussion on MUD about using them a few years back when a lot of these engines were 1st imported

Would that affect the compression? I would assume it would lower the compression?
Can you post me a link where I can find what I am lookin for.

Im not sure about the details, but from memory it doesnt make any difference. The 3L head is supposed to have marginally better coolant flow.
Australian ebay has plenty of aftermarket heads around the $700USD . I can not vouch for the quality, but there doesn't seem to be many complaints. This will require more investigation on your part.
Australia doesn't have many 2LT but it has a lot of non turbo 2L 3L 5L in Hiace, Hilux and Dyna etc

I think a 2L is 2.4 litres and the 3L is 2.8 litres. I would ask the seller for advice.

Thanks I just found this on ebay.
Is this the head that I would need for a 2.0 L Turbo Diesel?

TOYOTA 2.4 2L2 2LT 3L Assembled Cylinder Head Hiace Hilux Surf Land Cruiser | eBay

As rosco said, its not a 2.0 litre engine, it's call the 2LT and it's displacement is 2.4 litres.

What year is your truck? Please be advised there are two fundamentally different versions of this motor. One has a rocker head and the other has a shim over bucket head. You need to make sure you buy the right cylinder head for your motor.

Also, the 3L one being better is a bit of a misnomer. Toyota produced a new version of both the 2L and 3L heads. Both are much better than the first designs. Personally, I bought the latest one from Toyota that matched my engine (2LTE) and have had no problems. I'm talking about the 1990+ one here. If your vehicle is older (the rocker head), you'll have to find the head appropriate for your motor. You'll be safe just buying the latest part number from Toyota that matches your vehicle. I recommend not buying an off shore aftermarket head. The Toyota ones are still the best.

As rosco said, its not a 2.0 litre engine, it's call the 2LT and it's displacement is 2.4 litres.

What year is your truck? Please be advised there are two fundamentally different versions of this motor. One has a rocker head and the other has a shim over bucket head. You need to make sure you buy the right cylinder head for your motor.

Also, the 3L one being better is a bit of a misnomer. Toyota produced a new version of both the 2L and 3L heads. Both are much better than the first designs. Personally, I bought the latest one from Toyota that matched my engine (2LTE) and have had no problems. I'm talking about the 1990+ one here. If your vehicle is older (the rocker head), you'll have to find the head appropriate for your motor. You'll be safe just buying the latest part number from Toyota that matches your vehicle. I recommend not buying an off shore aftermarket head. The Toyota ones are still the best.

My Truck is 89 with buckets and shims.
We took off the head yesterday and at first glance, the head looks good. We will maganflux tomorrow. We believe the gasket is too thin.
1 notch, I need to find as 3 or 4 notch gasket and intake gasket too.

We noticed some small water stains near on the engine block near cylinder 3 and 4. As if water seeped through the gasket.
I will find out if I need a new head this week. Can anyone give me some contacts where I can obtain a 3 or 4 notch gasket and where should I contact Toyota if I need a head?

IMG_0385.jpg

IMG_2853.JPG

1.jpg

2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom