FJ40 Won't turn off (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1969 FJ40 with a 2F engine and have been fixing some things this winter. I got it all back together and it starts like a champ. The only problem is that I can't get it to turn off. I can get it to shut off when I turn the key to ACC. I didn't ever mess with these ignition wires. Has anyone ever experienced this? Any help would be appreciated.

I have a 1969 FJ40 with a 2F engine and have been fixing some things this winter. I got it all back together and it starts like a champ. The only problem is that I can't get it to turn off. I can get it to shut off when I turn the key to ACC. I didn't ever mess with these ignition wires. Has anyone ever experienced this? Any help would be appreciated.

Yes your ignition switch is possibly worn out ,

But also check your wires that feed it to see if u accidentally did not mix one or more up in there locations on back side of the switch

I have a similar issue. My 40 will only turn off when I turn the hazards on. I think the 12V wire from the hazard switch to the blinker switch has shorted to the ACC wire, & this keeps my truck running until I turn on the hazards. It's a head scratcher.

14182-Head_Scratcher_Monkey_23.07.2012.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys. I finally figured it out. I started pulling a wire off the ignition switch one at a time and testing it to see if I could turn the engine off when I place the key in the true "off" position. It ended up being a wire that was connected to a blinker relay. I disconnected it and everything is back to normal. I think it was a redundant wire that was connected and it created a power source when I turned the key to off. @Hoots Magoon I would trace your wire so that you get it fixed. Start with one wire at a time from your ignition switch and unplug it. Test after you unplug it. Turn on your engine and then try to shut it off in the off position. If your engine shuts down, then it was that last wire you pulled off. That would drive me nuts to turn on the hazards when you want to shut your cruiser down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom