80 newbie going all in. In need of help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys!
So i finally had a weekend to dive into my 1993 landcruiser. I paid $2000 for.
The guy i bought it from said the fan clutch was not the correct one so i knew i needed a new fan clutch. None of the belts were hooked up, the alternator was seized. That big pulley on the block seems pretty seized and the ac pulleys are barely moving. The truck ran very rough smoked a little and sometime got stuck in theottle and i never ran it for more then 5 minutes .

I purchased a new denso alternator , asin water pump and a new fan clutch. I have just taken off the alternator and water pump.
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I REPLACE WHILE I HAVE THESE OUT?? I was going to order a thermostat.
Any other tips on doing a complete coolat flush? Im having a little oil leak also i thought it was the filter but it doesnt seem like it
Thanks so much
All the best to everyone
In rememberance this memorial day

89A6F97A-25DE-4699-A5F2-50C0DB4F512F.jpeg

0A318F46-CCEA-47B3-8B6A-E06D6BB216B4.jpeg

1A0F5226-DD05-4A7A-B727-66D4FBABE53B.jpeg

284EB29D-393A-4922-BE58-85E2C666D795.jpeg

For a coolant flush, drop the dirty coolant, take the thermostat out, refill with water pls a flush product.
get it running to the point you can drive it, take it for a drive, bring it up to running temp, set the heater to HOT, and drive it for 30 minutes.
Drop the coolant again. Repeat if really dirty.
Then fit new thermostat and fill with fresh coolant

Get the thing running with minimal repairs to see what other things may be a problem. Remove the thermostat, flush the cooling system good several times with water, drain both block and radiator each time. Check system integrity by bringing up to operating temp, driving around some. After that I would install the new thermostat, replace all hoses including the PHH, bypasses and heater hoses. Check the condition of the rear heater lines and bypass those if they look questionable. Finally pressure test the system before final drain and fill with antifreeze.​

Welcome to the neighborhood. :flipoff2:

Man! That color combo is so cool, I think it's my favorite. I have never seen a US spec cruiser with that color combo eventhough I'm pretty sure it was offered. Nice truck!

Welcome to the addiction. "Baselining" the vehicle to get to know the idiosyncrasies is your best start. I started by reducing the oil leaks in mine after I got it running. You can go as far as throwing new parts at the truck if you have the resources or taking a systematic approach. Suck, bang, blow. The alternator can be rebuilt, along with a lot of other systems on this platform to minimize hemorrhaging coin. To reduce the amount of cash heaving from your bank account, use the search function to see where others have gone before you. I use the search function to find good and BAD vendors, see the best smoked bacon on the east coast, what gaskets people have had good luck with, etc... Something that is wrong with another type of vehicle could spell disaster; whereas, the cruiser just has a minor setback. Contribute back to the forum when you are able. It looks like you have a good starting point.

@fisherman978 check for oil coming from the distributor both where it bolts up (o-ring) and from under the cap. Hopefully no leak, but if there is, the o-ring is cheap, and if it is in the distributor cap you are going to need to replace the distributor. Mine leaked on to the alternator and it failed. I ended up doing the photoman upgrade while I was there. Also that belt tensioner/roller needs changing. Do the one for the a/c also or at least change the bearing by pressing in a new one. My 97 doesn't have the on you have pictured and some models don't use it so you may get away with just removing the one near the alternator. Pull the harmonic balancer (search for using the starter to get it free) and replace the crank seal (it is cheap and really doesn't take long) and as posted above replace the oil pump cover gasket and screws as one will certainly brake (google for phhkit website and those screws will be very useful to you and any future owners).

pro tip from a non pro--- with alternator out, remove oil filter and replace fuel filter taking advantage of the extra space, and replace the power steering low pressure hoses as well as the large reservoir hose. --remove the battery box for extra room and the opportunity to degrease.

That idler pulley should just be replaced since you're in there. The AC idler pulley/tensioner will most likely also need to be replaced (smaller, bottom one below AC compressor).

As stated above, your oil leak is most likely coming from the oil pump cover. I'm not sure I've seen a 1FZ-FE without a leak coming from there. Since you've got the belts and fan off, its a good time to do that one. Video posted above.

^^^ This for sure. Just get both idlers replaced while in there.

Looking over the pics and posts above is like me telling the story of how I've spent the past year with my own $2000 Cruiser.

Your coolant looks fine in that pic. IMO I would leave it green. Get the smooth Toyo belts, the ribbed aftermarket belts will give you a whine like a SC. Be prepared to getting used to putting the front together and taking it apart again on a regular basis for a few months as you sort things and track leaks.

If you decide to sell the wheels hit me up :)

Member RFB is in MA on the coast, he may be a resource for you when he's not overlanding.

Make sure it's the RED coolant from a toyota dealer. It costs more but worth it.

I've never used the red Toyota stuff. I've always used the green. Can you tell me why the red, other than it is from Toyota?

That idler pulley should just be replaced since you're in there. The AC idler pulley/tensioner will most likely also need to be replaced (smaller, bottom one below AC compressor).

As stated above, your oil leak is most likely coming from the oil pump cover. I'm not sure I've seen a 1FZ-FE without a leak coming from there. Since you've got the belts and fan off, its a good time to do that one. Video posted above.
Any idea on part numbers, I just ordered anoyher harmonic balancer as mine was seized and Xtremely rusted

Thank you everyone trying to get more parts to order arranged

Looking over the pics and posts above is like me telling the story of how I've spent the past year with my own $2000 Cruiser.

Your coolant looks fine in that pic. IMO I would leave it green. Get the smooth Toyo belts, the ribbed aftermarket belts will give you a whine like a SC. Be prepared to getting used to putting the front together and taking it apart again on a regular basis for a few months as you sort things and track leaks.

Member RFB is in MA on the coast, he may be a resource for you when he's not overlanding.
Thanks so much! I ordered some new belts also

hey guys!
So i finally had a weekend to dive into my 1993 landcruiser. I paid $2000 for.
The guy i bought it from said the fan clutch was not the correct one so i knew i needed a new fan clutch. None of the belts were hooked up, the alternator was seized. That big pulley on the block seems pretty seized and the ac pulleys are barely moving. The truck ran very rough smoked a little and sometime got stuck in theottle and i never ran it for more then 5 minutes .

I purchased a new denso alternator , asin water pump and a new fan clutch. I have just taken off the alternator and water pump.
WHAT ELSE SHOULD I REPLACE WHILE I HAVE THESE OUT?? I was going to order a thermostat.
Any other tips on doing a complete coolat flush? Im having a little oil leak also i thought it was the filter but it doesnt seem like it
Thanks so much
All the best to everyone
In rememberance this memorial day

View attachment 1709123

View attachment 1709124

View attachment 1709125

View attachment 1709126
Ive replaced upgraded and fixed every leak, flushed out everything you need help Im close and have lots of spares.

Ive replaced upgraded and fixed every leak, flushed out everything you need help Im close and have lots of spares.
Thanks so much! im in Gloucester . just got the water pump out. realized i should probably buy a new harmonic balancer and thermostat so ordered that yesterday. now im thinking i should do some of the hoses . just not sure where to go from here and part numbers etc . ill dive more into it this afternoon

@fisherman978 check for oil coming from the distributor both where it bolts up (o-ring) and from under the cap. Hopefully no leak, but if there is, the o-ring is cheap, and if it is in the distributor cap you are going to need to replace the distributor. Mine leaked on to the alternator and it failed. I ended up doing the photoman upgrade while I was there. Also that belt tensioner/roller needs changing. Do the one for the a/c also or at least change the bearing by pressing in a new one. My 97 doesn't have the on you have pictured and some models don't use it so you may get away with just removing the one near the alternator. Pull the harmonic balancer (search for using the starter to get it free) and replace the crank seal (it is cheap and really doesn't take long) and as posted above replace the oil pump cover gasket and screws as one will certainly brake (google for phhkit website and those screws will be very useful to you and any future owners).

pro tip from a non pro--- with alternator out, remove oil filter and replace fuel filter taking advantage of the extra space, and replace the power steering low pressure hoses as well as the large reservoir hose. --remove the battery box for extra room and the opportunity to degrease.
where can i find the part numbers for those other two pulleys. i purchased the new alternator. water pump and harmonic balancer.

Best place to source parts. rock auto does not have the idler pulley and the ac pulley

One is 88440-26090 but that is for the AC... I don't have the other one because i don't have that on mine. I am not 100% it is even needed as i dont think it came on 96 and 97 models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom