Any gotcha's when removing an unknown alarm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

mudgudgeon

Resident galah
SILVER Star
Threads
My new to me '93 FZJ80 has an unknown alarm system in it that doesn't appear to work properly.
I'm not really familiar with alarm systems, so I did some searching which helped a bit.

I'm thinking if I trace all the connections and cut and repair any splices to the original harness it should be all good?

I'm just wondering if there's any gotchas to watch out for?
I don't want to leave myself with a car that won't run.

25185C86-1642-493F-A88C-1C5CFA2A4E73.jpeg

Found a lot more wires than expected and lost the remote door locks. No gotchas.

If the starter disable was really hooked up, then yeah - that’s the big “gotcha” of the job.

If yours is in some state of operation right now, go trip it & see if you can crank over the motor while it’s making itself’ all annoying & stuff (flashing, horn, whatever).

That’ll tell you if starter disable was hooked up or not.
Some of the better shops don’t bother with it unless you specifically ask.
It’s just a PITA.

If the starter disable was really hooked up, then yeah - that’s the big “gotcha” of the job.

If yours is in some state of operation right now, go trip it & see if you can crank over the motor while it’s making itself’ all annoying & stuff (flashing, horn, whatever).

That’ll tell you if starter disable was hooked up or not.
Some of the better shops don’t bother with it unless you specifically ask.
It’s just a PITA.

so how would that be achieved? starter relay bypassed through the alarm?

I dont have a fob to control the alarm, so i feel like it's kind of a clusterf uck waiting to happen

so how would that be achieved? starter relay bypassed through the alarm?

I dont have a fob to control the alarm, so i feel like it's kind of a clusterf uck waiting to happen

The ones I’ve pulled - yes.
They all have had a impulse from the alarm that then is relayed to kill the heavier gauge wires (they usually ground available hot tap or break the ground, I think that’s the only 2ways to accomplish this, not 100% sure though) -used to/from the ignition switch wires.

Not to say every jerk kid with a set of wire crimps installed the same, but that’s what I’ve seen & what my buddy with the stereo shop sees when he’s pulling worn out aftermarket alarms.

You usually come across a standard Hella/Bosch -type relay, and the tipoff is if you trace wires from the ignition down the firewall. Most installers are lazy so if it’s aftermarket junk you can extract easier than the optional/port installed types.

Toss up any pics of questionable stuff you come across & if you have other custom stuff just make sure you point it out as staying.

Time flies!

Finally got around to removing this alarm.

I had the alarm hiccup a couple of times, but thankfully nothing more than flashing the hazards intermittently.

Opened up the kick panel to do the power window relay delete and found one hell of a rats nest of s***ty alarm system wiring.

The alarm must have had automatic window closing function because there was a second module hacked into the window wiring

One pile of wire later, I don't have to worry about this bailing me up
IMG_20191204_144748.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom