FJ tail lights, dash lights, etc... not working (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've read a thread on here that was a great read... I have a 2010 FJ and not as bad as in the thread but still have the same problem... the tail light fuse blows as soon as I turn the lights on.

I have an aftermarket hitch that the PO installed, but it looks good.... is there a plug or something that is common to the Dash and tail lights?

this looks like a great forum, thanks in advance!
Capt Mike

Any trailer hitch wiring has to go into the tail, brake, and turn indicator circuits to function. It is a sure bet that's where your problem is. Some splice has come undone or was not insulated well enough when installed. Take apart the aftermarket hitch wiring until you find the short, there's one in there somewhere.

Well that exactly what I thought too. So the first thing I did was disconnect the complete hitch wiring.. still blew the fuse. All the connectors look good, haven't seen one bad connector on the whole vehicle.

So what's next? I haven't a clue

That's what I thought also, so I removed the hitch wiring completely but it still blows the fuse.
Thanks 1911 but what the next step?

I believe Toyota uses the same fuse to power the dash lights and the tail lights. This way you will not be driving around with no tail lights, safety feature to let you know your tail lights are out. Something is shorting out your lights. Have you installed anything or done any modifications lately. If not, start checking for pinched or crushed wires. The wiring goes through the back access panel on the drivers side where the jack and tools are stored. It's possible the wiring may be damaged in there. The wiring runs from the front of truck under the drivers side scuff plate to the access panel mentioned above. Good luck these type of things are hard to troubleshoot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom