Help! Power steering lost (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Mud, I'm currently parked in the auto parts parking lot shortly after I lost power steering on a long highway uphill. Basically all the fluid was on the road and my engine bay.

I bought some fluid and as soon as I fill the reservoir, it immediately comes out the hole in the power steering pump. Now, what is that hole? See the center of this picture:

IMG_20180525_175344.jpg

And the blurry right side of this one (sorry, it's too close to get focused):
IMG_20180525_175404.jpg

I replaced the pump a few months ago but I don't remember ever really doing anything on that side. Looking at pictures of a new pump I can't figure out the function. The hoses all look good and tight. Any advice is appreciated.

If I’m looking at your pic correctly, and according to this thread, Plug screw on the back of the PS pump backed out; need replacement. there is a plug pressed in with an o-ring in that location.

Looks like JB weld and a rubber plug might be a temp fix to get you on the road. A few other options and threads linked w/in this thread as well. HTH

I believe there is supposed to be a plug there but I may have also read something about a large screw like insert. The hole is supposed to be a oil galley passage or something like that. Same thing happened to me and I had to limp home to repair. Ended up cleaning all the oil and crud around that hole and JB welding it shut. This worked for a little while but it eventually blew the JB weld out so I took the pump out for a rebuild and resealed that hole with a rubber stopper/plug and JB welded over top.

^^^ see pics in the thread linked above

Thanks everyone! This is definitely spot on. I am currently working on a temporary fix.

Have seen that on recent part store reseals, likely the oven used to clean parts loosens the plug. One of the reasons that we just get the kit and install.

Have seen that on recent part store reseals, likely the oven used to clean parts loosens the plug. One of the reasons that we just get the kit and install.
Does the re-seal kit come with the plug? Or, are you saying that it's better to DIY with a reseal kit rather then take a chance on a reman pump that may pop a cork? My pump looks a little wet and I'm considering a reseal kit.

Does the re-seal kit come with the plug? Or, are you saying that it's better to DIY with a reseal kit rather then take a chance on a reman pump that may pop a cork? My pump looks a little wet and I'm considering a reseal kit.

My guess, the plug is alloy, when the case is heat cleaned, it becomes loosened. We only solvent clean, doing that, have never had this problem. If I were to install a parts store reseal, would clean the paint off of that area and epoxy the plug in. Heat cleaning (baking the paint/debris off) is efficient, commonly used, but I don't like it, hard on plugs, bushings, etc.

Reactions: RWD
My guess, the plug is alloy, when the case is heat cleaned, it becomes loosened. We only solvent clean, doing that, have never had this problem. If I were to install a parts store reseal, would clean the paint off of that area and epoxy the plug in. Heat cleaning (baking the paint/debris off) is efficient, commonly used, but I don't like it, hard on plugs, bushings, etc.
OK, gotcha. Any recommendations on a reseal kit? I think Gates makes one or maybe stick with OEM?

OEM was pretty cheap if I remember right. And it's really not hard at all. Don't need a press or anything, I got by with a brass drift and a decent size bench vise.

OK, gotcha. Any recommendations on a reseal kit? I think Gates makes one or maybe stick with OEM?

Have had good results with aftermarket. All we have used (gates, edelmann, AC Delco, etc) are the same, likely made by Sunsong, so shop by price, unless you have a box color preference.:hillbilly:

EDELMANN 8826
GATES 348407
ACDELCO 36348407
SUNSONG 8401007

We usually get them from Rockauto.com because they also have the reservoir and return hose that we always replace as part of the job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom