another engine swap question-but better! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm really a nuts and bolts guy and not in the engineering sense. but i'm going to be starting on my chassis here soon and i currently have a SBC 350 with a T350 tranny. I'm in between what would be my favorite to what will be easiest.

besides looking at possible yota power trains, does anybody know if a 5.7 vortec with a 4l80 tranny will be a direct swap with out any problems? would i just have to move my crossmember?

Thank you for any input.

Front motor mounts will be different, you'll need an adapter to your 4l60E or 4L80E tranny, and grab absolutely everything that goes with the Vortex engine (electrical wise). Yep, you'll move crossmember, plus whole new exhaust, and new drive shaft lengths. And put me first in line to buy the old school stuff you no longer need (your present motor mounts and adapters).

Same motor mounts for a 1996-2002 5.7l Chevy Vortec (L31) as you have now. A 4l80E transmission should bolt right up to the engine. The harness for an L31 engine has connectors for both the 4l60E and 4l80E.

Last edited:
Thanks! Are you serious about wanting the 350? It is built a bit but I’m unsure of what the PO did exactly. I’m having another guy checking it out on Monday but not sure if he’s going to buy it. I’m in Boise Idaho and that’s a trip for and engine tranny. I would think they’d be easily sourced down there no?

If I go with the more modern combo I’ll probaby find a beat, good running Yukon, Sierra or the like. That way I’d have the entire deal. Thanks for the input but now I’m not sure of the motor mounts since you guys are in disagreement.

Front motor mounts will be different, you'll need an adapter to your 4l60E or 4L80E tranny, and grab absolutely everything that goes with the Vortex engine (electrical wise). Yep, you'll move crossmember, plus whole new exhaust, and new drive shaft lengths. And put me first in line to buy the old school stuff you no longer need (your present motor mounts and adapters).

I have a perfectly good frame, recently blasted and pc’d Set up for SBC and Saginaw steering if your interested. Has motor mounts and everything. Pm me if you’re interested.

The motor mounts for an L31 engine are the same as the earlier 350. I have a '96 in my trail truck.

The motor mounts for an L31 engine are the same as the earlier 350. I have a '96 in my trail truck.

How much fab will be needed for either transmission from the th350? Any idea? Or are you running whichever tranny was behind yours when you got it?

Both the 4L60E and 4L80E bolt to the L31 and are controlled by the ECM. I don't know what you'll need for a tranny mount. I installed an NV4500 and built a cross-frame mount to mate with the AA tranny-to-transfer adapter.

Go diesel. 12 valve Cummins with a big turbo. I don't know but it seems like everyone has a petrol v8:)

Go diesel. 12 valve Cummins with a big turbo. I don't know but it seems like everyone has a petrol v8:)

I like the diesel, but I’m trying to go more with a comfortable, as quiet as possible, driver.

Mid 20’s MPG’s is VERY appealing though. I’d have to do a little more research. From what I know, the 4bt is a pretty loud motor.

Not sure about any more modern engines. I have to do a little research in the new duramax 2.8...not sure how that will look but it’s REALLY appealing.

bwiygul, when you wrote that you had a TH350 (old school tranny) then I assumed you also had an early 350 engine (old school engine). If that is the case then your present motor mounts bolt onto the block in a 3 bolt triangular bolt pattern, and the newer Vortec (LS) motors have a 4 bolt rectangular bolt pattern.

bwiygul, when you wrote that you had a TH350 (old school tranny) then I assumed you also had an early 350 engine (old school engine). If that is the case then your present motor mounts bolt onto the block in a 3 bolt triangular bolt pattern, and the newer Vortec (LS) motors have a 4 bolt rectangular bolt pattern.

Yep, they’re both older, I would swap engine and tranny though. My concern is that the driveshaft is already at maybe 14-16”....it’s frickin short!! So I don’t know how far I’d have to push my engine forward to make it fit...or if I go with a different (shorter) transmission. I never realized how short they are. Lol

I like the diesel, but I’m trying to go more with a comfortable, as quiet as possible, driver.

Mid 20’s MPG’s is VERY appealing though. I’d have to do a little more research. From what I know, the 4bt is a pretty loud motor.

Not sure about any more modern engines. I have to do a little research in the new duramax 2.8...not sure how that will look but it’s REALLY appealing.

Read about the Cummins R2.8 here on Mud. Some great results and very happy customers.

When I get around to doing a motor swap, it'll be an R2.8. And Torfab even makes all a kit for install.

Yep, they’re both older, I would swap engine and tranny though. My concern is that the driveshaft is already at maybe 14-16”....it’s frickin short!! So I don’t know how far I’d have to push my engine forward to make it fit...or if I go with a different (shorter) transmission. I never realized how short they are. Lol
Yep, and then when you get the engine too far forward the harmonic balance/crank pulley, and/or fuel pump is right on top of the front diff housing.

Read about the Cummins R2.8 here on Mud. Some great results and very happy customers.

When I get around to doing a motor swap, it'll be an R2.8. And Torfab even makes all a kit for install.

I’ve heard both. I’d have to actually track somebody down to see one and drive it.

Yep, and then when you get the engine too far forward the harmonic balance/crank pulley, and/or fuel pump is right on top of the front diff housing.

Hmm, well I’ll be getting the engine tranny pulled soon. Get a good look and see how it’s looking and start weighing some options. Chassis stuff should go quickly and then get to the engine tranny portion.

I'd be nervous. Dodge swapped to a Dana 70 and 80/70 hybrid rear because the old Cummins 12v were chucking pinions out the back of the rear end.
Nothing bad to say about the Cruiser rears but they aren't as strong as the Dana 60. Toss in big tires gearing and some tough crawling and you'll be holding your breath a lot

I'd be nervous. Dodge swapped to a Dana 70 and 80/70 hybrid rear because the old Cummins 12v were chucking pinions out the back of the rear end.
Nothing bad to say about the Cruiser rears but they aren't as strong as the Dana 60. Toss in big tires gearing and some tough crawling and you'll be holding your breath a lot
Definitely agree. The first thing that I'd ever do to a landcruiser is better axles if i intended to runs 35s and resonable power. My HZJ75 with a turbo and intercooler running 35s snapps front axle CVs like they are going out of fashon. I do run a locker tho which could be part of the problem.

Definitely agree. The first thing that I'd ever do to a landcruiser is better axles if i intended to runs 35s and resonable power. My HZJ75 with a turbo and intercooler running 35s snapps front axle CVs like they are going out of fashon. I do run a locker tho which could be part of the problem.

It doesn't even take much HP. We ran a competition truck with 38s and a 70:1 final drive. Still had the 2F and 60 series axles with CR moly birfs. I can't remember how many birfields we lost but I remember we lost six in one day. We only lost a few rear axles. Luckily the rules changes the next year and we could run other than stock drivetrain. Started with stock Dana 60s which held until the v-8 swap with dual transfers.
145:1 and we were eating axles again. CTM to the rescue.
I saw a whole new industry evolve around the rock crawling competition. When we went to our first in '98 there was almost nothing out there in the aftermarket world. You had to build it yourself. 15 years later and everything you need to build a King of the Hammers truck is on a shelf somewhere waiting to be bought and bolted on. I guess necessity is truly the mother of invention

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom