Rust mitigation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After watching a bunch of You Tube videos regarding rust removal (undercarriage), POR 15, removal and undercoat spray, etc., what are the thoughts on a good way to mitigate rust and prevent it from spreading?

Thanks!

If it’s just surface rust on frame and suspension parts I’ve always had good luck with a rust reformer or naval jelly. Then coat it with por-15 or a black enamel afterwards. I would not use a undercoating spray as those tend to be thick and gunk up. More of the stuff I’d use for wheel wells or similar.

For body rust, if it’s bad, you’ll need that panel/area completely replaced. I have a small rust spot on my tailgate that I keep from spreading by spraying fluid film on it occasionally.

I think the key here is to find a product that works well and works for you.

I just POR-15'd my sliders yesterday evening and a couple of little spots on frame. Looks really clean this morning (besides where a couple little flowers blew onto the wet paint). I think I will get underneath with a brush and some soapy water, clean off most of the frame, rear axles and LCAs and POR-15 it all. Unfortunately my old garage can't fit my rig, but I think this will hold her down for awhile.

BTW one of the tiny cans did both my sliders, portions of frame, my buddies sliders, skids and a little spot on frame all with a little left to spare. I bet one more little can will get me through the rest of my project.

Thanks guys. How much prep did you do prior to applying POR15? I see some that say to wire wheel, scrape, etc., others say apply it over the top of the rust.

Definitely need to get off as much rust as possible. Especially the flakey stuff. Por-15 sells a cleaner/degreaser and a metal prep product they rocommend using prior to applying their rust preventative coating.

I should have taken pictures, but mine was just small spots where rocks had hit sliders. I didn't do much prep other than cleaning really well. I don't have any flaking rust though, just surface stuff. We'll see how it lasts as this is my first use of it. I also figure spots on the sliders are probably gonna get banged/trashed, so those will probably just get an annual coating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom