Factory soft top choices, any recommendations? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

oregon fj

Serial rescuer of old vehicles
Threads
OK, I'm wanting to get a new top for my '64 FST. Not real happy about choices and the responsiveness of some suppliers. I'd like to hear from any recent purchasers.

Here's my situation. My truck has the early welded windshield channel, and I recently acquired all of the top frame parts necessary to complete my package. So all I need is the top and hardware (twist-locks). I'm open to either canvas or PVC material. I like the look of canvas better, but living in Western Oregon the waterproof-ness of PVC is attractive. Reality is that I don't expect to keep the rig very long after I complete it, the FJ40 is a retirement project and will need to be sold to make room for the next project. I want a good top with a nice fit, but I obviously don't want to spend more than I have to. Ideally looking for a tan color, something that won't look out of place with coral seats and a period blue color. I will also need extra material to recover the door sides.

Here's what I've been considering.

Trollhole tops (made by Julie) are no longer made in canvas, just PVC. Two tans to choose from. $1380 plus shipping and hardware.

SOR has a canvas top that is close to original, looks to not have all the corner straps. But it is only available in black, no tans or beiges. $1400 plus shipping and hardware.

CruiserParts has tan or black canvas top that looks fairly original in pictures, for $1749 plus shipping and hardware. But synthetic canvas (PVC) is available as well, for $999 plus shipping and hardware. The PVC version sounds good, except they have been unable to get me any samples of the tan color PVC. Since tans can vary wildly, I'm reluctant to spend a grand or more on a top without seeing what the fabric color will really look like.

Any other options I've missed? Has anyone actually seen a CruiserParts top in person?

Last edited:
The subject of this thread.

img_1046-jpg.1703585

Get the PVC from Trollhole (julie) in Sandlewood color. You wont regret it... Looks like canvas, even from a few feet away.

Heres a pic of my last rig sporting it for color reference.

653 fj40.jpg

Thanks, @thecrazygreek . Julie sent me samples of both Sandlewood and Buckskin. My sample of Sandlewood looks a lot more brown than your picture here. I was leaning toward Buckskin.

IMG_1065.jpg

I would like to be able so save a few hundred by getting the PVC from CruiserParts, but I can't find anyone who has one to get a review from, and their inability to even provide me a sample does not inspire confidence.

I can only imagine what kind of s*** show a cruisersparts soft top would be.....that has truckloads of nope all over it.

I can see their response to sample request...."pick a color, purchase the top and in a few months we'll send you a sample".

Thanks, @thecrazygreek . Julie sent me samples of both Sandlewood and Buckskin. My sample of Sandlewood looks a lot more brown than your picture here. I was leaning toward Buckskin.

View attachment 1708682

I would like to be able so save a few hundred by getting the PVC from CruiserParts, but I can't find anyone who has one to get a review from, and their inability to even provide me a sample does not inspire confidence.

I would go with the Sandlewood to give it a little contrast. The lighter color almost looks like you're trying to match it and unless it truly matches IMO doesn't look very good. So many different beiges out there. Tones are really important.

Can you take a shot of the samples with your cruiser?

Did I read it wrong or is the 40 going to be Blue, with coral seats? If so, I'd say either tan will look good.

Bear in mind that my rig will not be beige when complete. The color you see above is not original, it was born in the infamous "bandaid" color. My plan is to use a blue or blue-gray color. Leading candidate right now is Cadet Blue (a '70-only color). I'm afraid the darker Sandlewood might be too dark for that.

I can only imagine what kind of s*** show a cruisersparts soft top would be.....that has truckloads of nope all over it.
That has been my fear as well. I've been planning to get one from Julie all along. The sudden lack of a canvas option just prompted me to look around. I think I'll need to just buck up and do it.

Oops sorry I read that when I first saw the post but then promptly forgot. Getting old sucks lol.

Funny, when I finally get around to doing my 75 I plan on doing it in Cadet Blue and with a soft top. I'm thinking I will go with either Sandlewood or Charcoal. My first choice would be a lighter grey than charcoal but it appears that isn't an option - although this grey photo is on the Trollhole page...

image-jpg.969350

That has been my fear as well. I've been planning to get one from Julie all along. The sudden lack of a canvas option just prompted me to look around. I think I'll need to just buck up and do it.

There is a reason we stopped selling the canvas. For the purist who has to have something as close to the early original canvas was a must. But we suffered as a result. Even putting in the descriptions that it would fade and shrink still gave us tons of issues. Mainly because of the flippers wanting the cheapest option and not really telling the next buyer. Had about a dozen of those. If the customer knew they had to tie everything down and zip the windows down when it dried then shrinking wouldn't be an issue. Fading wouldn't be an issue if they stayed out of the sun. But we don't live in a perfect world and as soon as an issue arose we got calls. I've had one type of each fabric. I love the high end stuff. But the PVC is 90% of our business. Because it's so easy to maintain. I didn't take my 40 to an event last week because I knew it would be a mud fest and didn't want to get red clay on a 2500$ top.

There was a reason Toyota only sold the early tops in one color and there is a really good reason they switched to PVC. Also note Julie is swamped during the summer. She will get it done but it will take longer than it would if it was ordered in the fall and winter.

I can't wait until fall or winter to order. I need to decide on a color and get it ordered. Looking at the actual samples that Julie sent, Sandlewood looks more like a medium brown than a tan or beige. Buckskin has a very slight greenish tint in some light, although not so much in natural outdoor light.

Why don't you paint your car first ? And do all the other things that are actually priority. And then figure it out ?
Because paint colors are far more flexible and varied than top colors. To make sure the top doesn't clash with the paint it is better to have the top first. Far easier to tweak the paint formula to work with a given top color.

View attachment 1708682

Replied to your PM but yes, mine is definitely Sandlewood...

Not sure if there are any upholsterers near you, but I’m having one made by a one man shop that does marine upholstery. He gave me a plethora of material options and colors that I sat down and looked through. I’m dropping the truck off for a week in July so he can make it. He’s charging me $1200.

That may be another option for you.

Not sure if there are any upholsterers near you, but I’m having one made by a one man shop that does marine upholstery.
I'm sure there are shops near here who could do that, but since I don't have a top for them to copy, they would have to wing it. I'm not sure I'd be happy with that result. Not when reasonably proper tops are available for not that much more.

Thanks to all here who have shared their thoughts. I'm going to make a decision this weekend on which color, then contact Julie to get things rolling next week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom