Broke down in Kanab Utah and need help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Drove my 60 series from Vancouver Canada down to Utah with 3 friends in their 81HDJ and one in his 74 BT.
My 60 has a 1HDT diesel engine with a 5 speed in it.
I broke down last week Thursday, and had it flat bed towed to Kanab Utah.
Presently at Little's Diesel shop in Kanab. They have been extremely friendly and helpful but they are not Toyota people.
My engine compression on two of the six cylinders is way down, 150 & 200 lbs. The rest are at 600.
So ,being so far away from home I need some recommendation that are close by. Towing is no problem.
Thanks in advance for your time.

Last edited:
Best bet is to call Cruiser Outfitters @cruiseroutfit ...I do not have a good local/SW recommendation

Thanks Woody
Called Kurt from Cruiser Outfitters earlier this afternoon. He can help with parts but not with mechanical.
Followed up on his shop recommendations but either not interested or 4-5 weeks out to looking at it.
I have to go back to work by end of month . Any leads are appreciated.
Looking at towing if all else fails.

Pro Auto Care in St George might....i bribed them to work on my BJ74 motor...hard part is, while they know Toyotas, the diesels arent their forte.

@fj55-100

A friend in Hurricane just started his own diesel shop, but again isn't a Toyota guy.

Wish i had an answer....other than bribing Pro Auto, I suffer thru my own pain ;)

Been thinking all night.
On our trip down here it was really hot, high elevations and I did have some high water temps on my trip down here. We did get some red spitting from the rad cap and had to add water a few times.
Changed fan clutch, radiator cap and some epoxy around the filler neck on my rad. It kept my temp down from Twin Falls, Idaho.
The two cylinders that are low are #3 and #4.
Wondering if this might be a head gasket issue. Will see if the shop will allow me to do a leak down test.
If they want me out of their shop might park at the local Napa and buy what is needed to the test there.
Fingers crossed that this is what it is.

Drove the 60 back to Van, BC with no issues.
We smoked a fair bit under acceleration but didn't use any oil.
Now to see what the issue is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom