Mountain Bikes - show/tell me how you lug yours around! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Forgot to mention, an old riding buddy had the 4 bike NS, it had so much rust after 2 seasons he got rid of it. Not sure if that is still an issue. His road bikes didn't fit well on it either. For what it is, it has function and a simple, light weight design. IMO, $650 is a crazy price for what is provided. And from a direct only seller (no middleman/store). With a sale you can get a 4 bike thule setup for a similar cost.

Then again, the Kuat and Thule are pricy too. Picked up my Kuat on sale for 25% off recently. Als.com always has 20% off and if you join their mailing list they give you vip access with great pricing.

Having a lifetime warranty (Thule and Kuat) justifies the cost a bit. Had rusting straps on my Thule and they replaced no questions asked other than proof of purchase.

My buddy contact North Shore about the rust, they told him warranty is only one year.

Last edited:
That’s disheartening to hear about the rust. I’ll be vigilant!

That’s disheartening to hear about the rust. I’ll be vigilant!

I think he bought his 2013 or 14 and dumped it about a year and a half ago. They may have changed their process. Never hurts to treat with an anti rust.

My T2 is probably 10+ years old and still going strong.

I also looked at the Recon rack too. If I needed to carry 4 bikes it may have been my choice, although they use bungees too. Seems a bit unrefined. And still epensive. They do sell a rack stand to store your rack and bikes in your garage which is cool.

Last edited:
Here are my tundra mounts in the bed.

20180506_094416.jpg

20180506_094441.jpg

One time I was at Taco Bell and this guy tried using the drive thru with his brand new road bike on the roof of his car. Well, he didn't quite fit under the clearance sign. It looked like he mangled a brake lever and did some paint damage. But, my favorite part was him yelling at the manager for it! The manager politely told him to piss off.

Maybe I’ve missed it, but anyone have a bike rack that is running a Slee bumper with swing outs? Have b/u camera on spare tire so that prevents use of spare tire bike racks. Looking for options that will allow use of swing outs and tail gate without having to remove bikes. Thanks.

@Bloomer me too. On our road trip to B.C. a couple years ago I used a drop down extension and my T2 rack on the Slee rear receiver. It worked but was a major job to open up the back end and get stuff from the back of the truck. I’m now looking at maybe welding a 2” receiver onto the swingout and stepping up to a 1up so it is higher up and always out of the way. Or bolting a vertical tray rack to the Slee ladder. I’ll have to look into it.
C3770DA0-1E93-4811-9D4B-46632C6C8C50.jpeg
868C5D70-3AFE-4AB6-A521-91478048C45B.jpeg

I have an Iron Pig rear bumper for the Series 80 and found this bolt on receiver. It's allowed me to install a Kuat Transfer 3. The Jerry can holder interferes with the bike tray for the closest inboard bike. May take off the Jerry cans and relocate the Lisence plate and light. I. The mean time it holds 2 bikes well. I does not however have the clearance to fold up even if I remove the Jerry can holder due to the spare tire.

5B0684FD-CFFE-446A-AFB3-7D0134A7F100.jpeg

44B382EF-CD83-4006-9E6D-C41104D22103.jpeg

I used to take the front wheel off and store inside the truck, but with kiddos getting bigger BMXers and wanting to go w/ me it was time for a change. Holds my bike, kids 16" BMXer well, the 12" BMXer goes in the truck still....for now.

Thule T2, I should have gotten one when I got the truck. soooo much easier now.
42204796374_7ceb03e482_b.jpg

Did the quick fix for my bike carrying problem. Hollywood SR2 spare tire rack. Seems decent and mounts the b8kes high. I’ll find out how it does this weekend.
CABEC499-C2F7-43F7-9BD0-9D9D06BDC433.jpeg

Kuat Pivot Swing Arm. I have a Kuat NV 4 bike rack for when I take the kids. When it is just me I use the 1UP Single. It is by far the best rack out there.

A16D0331-F3DE-4C0A-B088-A688EE427C05.jpeg

BA2AFE5B-EB39-4BA6-8298-65CFF0EAD2AA.jpeg

F768CB2E-9936-4FA4-A654-34DDEA9B5915.jpeg

Got a new toy about a week ago. Wife's bday present to me.
RockyMounts SplitRail 2 Bike
Been great so far, holds bikes nicely and love the feature to offset the trays and the cam locking the hitch in place. Also like that the wheel arms have their own, independent locks. Currently on sale on Backcountry for $299!
Untitled by Greg Fisicaro, on Flickr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom