Should I buy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have come across a 1993 Land Cruiser with 270K miles and light rust, unlocked, surface rust only on the rear axle and the front has none and the rear heater hoes and heater hoses next to the firewall have zero rust and engine looks overall pretty good. The wiring harness is not melted next to the EGR. Its all there BUT I know the head gasket is blown, opened the oil cap and it was creamy looking. THE THING IS IT IS 300$!!! The whole truck..... Worth it y'all? Im not a mechanic but I have wrenched on a few cars iv owned but nothing like a head gasket, I don't have a FSM and wondering how hard and long this would take me?? I do have a torque wrench and I know how to use it! HA! What do y'all think?? I already own a 94 with 138K

This is what we call an IQ test. Let's sit back and see if you pass.
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Cream under the oil cap doesn't necessarily mean a blown HG, but there are other ways to test that are more reliable. That said, the HG job isn't easy, but if you follow the FSM and bag and label everything you take off, you can do it with basic hand tools and a torque wrench. Plan on having the head serviced and around $500-2500 in parts, depending on what else you replace "while you are in there".

Plenty of great threads here explain the job. It took me about 4 solid days of work, but I also had to wire wheel and polish every rusty fastener and bracket I took off and I spent a lot of painting and cleaning everything. The head was at the shop for about a week and they cleaned, planed and pressure tested it along with doing a full valve job, replacing the oil seals and even painted it for me for $600.

Runs like a dream now though. No regrets.

Cream under the oil cap doesn't necessarily mean a blown HG, but there are other ways to test that are more reliable. That said, the HG job isn't easy, but if you follow the FSM and bag and label everything you take off, you can do it with basic hand tools and a torque wrench. Plan on having the head serviced and around $500-2500 in parts, depending on what else you replace "while you are in there".

Plenty of great threads here explain the job. It took me about 4 solid days of work, but I also had to wire wheel and polish every rusty fastener and bracket I took off and I spent a lot of painting and cleaning everything. The head was at the shop for about a week and they cleaned, planed and pressure tested it along with doing a full valve job, replacing the oil seals and even painted it for me for $600.

Runs like a dream now though. No regrets.

This. Enablement engaged.

Get it, get it, get it, get it, get it.

Did you get it yet? Come on, I need to know. Want to sell any parts off it? I will give you $500.

Hey, BUY IT!

Trucks that sit for extended periods of time absorb moisture. Then when the engine runs, the moisture mixes with the oil and creates the creamy mess you saw on the oil cap. My son doesnt drive his rig very far or very often. He is constantly cleaning the underside of the oil cap.

Compression test, leak down test, and drive it!!

What theyall said. Park it and sell parts in 5 years bud. F Wall Street.

What theyall said. Park it and sell parts in 5 years bud. F Wall Street.
I want to buy an old big box retail store that failed and turn it into an indoor Toyota truck and SUV parts warehouse. I don't have a supply of parts, but there are a bunch of old stores that are sitting vacant. I can probably get an old Kmart for low to mid 6 figures, easy.

Did you say $300 and you logged on here to ask if you should buy it? :confused:

I’d talk him down to $250 since the HG will have to be done. :rofl:

I want to buy an old big box retail store that failed and turn it into an indoor Toyota truck and SUV parts warehouse. I don't have a supply of parts, but there are a bunch of old stores that are sitting vacant. I can probably get an old Kmart for low to mid 6 figures, easy.

Off on a tangent here, but we’re minnestrohdens.
I would not rent anything commercial. Its a waste of money having a door and store front. I know your dreamin’ But I have a business in my home. So convert what you can to usable space, a lean to for example, small garage and your a potential parts flipper extraordinaire. By up all Toyota’s in your area, with little leg work the buyers will find you pretty easily. Enjoy sunshine, buy supercharger, then sell me said used supercharger. Win win!

Off on a tangent here, but we’re minnestrohdens.
I would not rent anything commercial. Its a waste of money having a door and store front. I know your dreamin’ But I have a business in my home. So convert what you can to usable space, a lean to for example, small garage and your a potential parts flipper extraordinaire. By up all Toyota’s in your area, with little leg work the buyers will find you pretty easily. Enjoy sunshine, buy supercharger, then sell me said used supercharger. Win win!
I feel like you are just trying to get a supercharger out of this. ;)

I am a Wisconsinite. My idea would be to just make an oddball but cult classic boneyard that semis and trucks could pull up to. Any collector type car would get parted and sorted. I would start with Toyotas and work my way up from there. It could have any model that people needed parts for if it made the cut as a popular vehicle. I would have vans in there, probably some Camrys and Accords, bunch of Subarus and Honda Toasters with AWD. Hopefully some nice Previas that I could reintroduce into the wild after building them up. As long as it broke even, it would be fine. I could probably just do a land contract that would be the same as a lease except I could eventually just buy the joint if it works out. I think I could find enough car enthusiasts that would be willing to buy good parts for good prices if I had some good IT people.

I feel like you are just trying to get a supercharger out of this. ;)

I am a Wisconsinite. My idea would be to just make an oddball but cult classic boneyard that semis and trucks could pull up to. Any collector type car would get parted and sorted. I would start with Toyotas and work my way up from there. It could have any model that people needed parts for if it made the cut as a popular vehicle. I would have vans in there, probably some Camrys and Accords, bunch of Subarus and Honda Toasters with AWD. Hopefully some nice Previas that I could reintroduce into the wild after building them up. As long as it broke even, it would be fine. I could probably just do a land contract that would be the same as a lease except I could eventually just buy the joint if it works out. I think I could find enough car enthusiasts that would be willing to buy good parts for good prices if I had some good IT people.
Oh, wisconi, your basically a duel citizen. Anyways start small, build network. Really a webpage is essential these days and a business card! Hopefully you bought Trojan condom stock in 1981 lol. Things would be easy like Sunday morning. And those beutiful Previas with awd, we had one, it was cool. Live the dream man. I only know how to break even cause that’s just a fair deal for both parties! Cruise on.

@sandcruiser80 It has been a couple of hours, if you haven't bought it yet, you might need to close your account here... j/k. But on a serious note, if you are not sure, send me the info on where it is in a PM and I will make sure you don't have to stress over it anymore. :)

@Red Merle get a go fund me happening! @pbr streetgang and I talk a about doing this all of the time. Total hijak dude by the 80. 300 is redonculous.

Throw in a couple of lifts, make it a club or collective so insurance isn’t crazy, ya dig, like so easy and no big deal. Maybe we can panhandle in Dubai to get it going. Yeah!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom