Help me identify this wiring please. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to hook my coolant temp sensor and Webber electric choke up. I'd also like to get my carb fan working today. I got the LC with these things disconnected, and the PO not knowing how to connect them.

It was desmogged before I got it, so I'm assuming some of these go to no longer existing components.

My wiring charts arent very helpful. It says a yellow wire goes to the temp sensor... but I don't see a yellow wire haha.

Thanks!

20180524_143836.jpg

Your tag says '78, but is this a wiring harness from that vehicle? I assume it is but that's a critical piece of info.

3 are daisy chained plugs that go on the brake pressure sensors on the bottom of your master cylinder. 1&2 are likely for a wiper fluid pump or one might be for a carb cooling fan? If 4 is all black, that may be your idle solenoid. There used to be a vacuum switching valve on my '76 that has a plug in that area of the harness no longer used.

Thr harness and engine are original to the vehicle.

The answers may be already buried in @TractorDoc 's thread but he's a '78 pro and could probably say with absolute certainty what 1,2,4,5 are. Coolerman could too. I assume you already have the wiring schematics from Coolerman's website?

The answers may be already buried in @TractorDoc 's thread but he's a '78 pro and could probably say with absolute certainty what 1,2,4,5 are. Coolerman could too. I assume you already have the wiring schematics from Coolerman's website?

No, I don't have them. I didn't know he was a source.

I'll check them out and see what I can see. Thanks.

Last edited:
Weirdly, at the risk of looking stalker-ish, I just stumbled across this shortly after I closed IH8MUD. 1978 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40 Flip through the photos and there are close ups of a very original engine bay and you'll see where 4&5 plugged into the carb. I still need to replace my missing one, but I suspect that leaves 2 as your washer pump and 1 to the carb cooling fan.

Coolerman's website

#1 is the VSV connector. #2 is the connector for your carb fan temp switch, #3 is for the brake pressure switches, #4 goes to your carb flange temp sender, and #5 is for your idle solenoid.

DS 40 wiring.jpg

DS 40 wiring1.jpg

Last edited:
#1 is the VSV connector. #2 is the connector for your carb fan temp switch, #3 is for the brake pressure switches, #4 goes to your carb flange temp sender, and #5 is for your idle solenoid.

View attachment 1708097

View attachment 1708099

Thanks. So, since I don't have an OE carb and I'm desmogged, I don't have a place to connect 1, 4, and 5. The 3 is connected now. 2 connects to the temp sensor on the exhaust manifold, correct?

Now, is this the connection for my coolant temp sensor? It's a plug with a red and yellow wire coming through the firewall, directly behind and above the head?

If it is, how would you recommend running both my electric choke and temp sensor back to there? The temp sensor wire is gone, so I'll have to make whatever I install.

20180524_161213.jpg

Is your truck a California spec. truck or Federal? Mine is CA.

Yep, #2 (lt. blue) connects to a wire in a braided sleeve that runs to your carb fan temp switch on a bracket bolted under the intake manifold, by the exhaust manifold. Even with the insulated sleeve the wires tend to burn eventually, so use high temp wire to this temp switch.

In my case, CA smog, the yellow wire from the center of the firewall runs to the temp sender for my gauge cluster. The red wire from the center of the firewall runs to a temp switch for CA smog. Your yellow wire should be for your dash temp gauge. You may or may not have a connection for the red wire. Do you have two temp senders in the head?

For your temp gauge, you can connect from the yellow wire at the connector to the temp sender in the head.

I'd probably run an ignition-switched wire for the carb choke through the same grommet at the temp sender wires or around with the brake pressure switch wires, depending on where the electric choke is. I haven't had an electric choke in many years, so I don't know if it's energized all the time while the ignition is on or not. I assume it is.

Thanks. So, since I don't have an OE carb and I'm desmogged, I don't have a place to connect 1, 4, and 5. The 3 is connected now. 2 connects to the temp sensor on the exhaust manifold, correct?

Now, is this the connection for my coolant temp sensor? It's a plug with a red and yellow wire coming through the firewall, directly behind and above the head?

If it is, how would you recommend running both my electric choke and temp sensor back to there? The temp sensor wire is gone, so I'll have to make whatever I install.

View attachment 1708124

Last edited:

View attachment 1708124

No u Don't ......................:)

Vendor - Water Temperature Gauge Sending Unit Sensor Boot ( New )

I have that Engine side green 2 Terminal matching mating male connector u need for the one in your hand too

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom