Opinions on most reliable LC Diesel engines. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

In general all these 1ZF and 1HZ derived engines as HD-(T, FT, FTE) will run around 600k kms and they all need major oherhaul as rings, bearings, etc. General inspection and so on.
They are all relatively simple and easy to work on.
I just diched 1FZ and swapped 1HD-FT. It was costly, as I bought the engine in Japan.
I drove my 80 already more than a decade, and it was weak gas gazzler (had 1FZ-F engine) right now it is got some guts and power. And can't express how much I love now it's fuel consumption. 10 liters on highway and 12-14 in urban (stickshift though and I love it)
The 80s in general are biult with reliability in mind. Any engine of 80 is robust in certain terms, 1FZ-F was built with whatever fiuel named as petrol could be used. It's counterpart FE is designed for countries with better fuel and comfort and power in mind. Diesel engines line is the same, HZ for a grunt, which ment to a workhorse. Turbo versions are good and the main issues I see here with all these diesel engines, most of them just abused in one or another form. Some people just can not understand that diesel doesn't like long high speed runs, some think that they should maintan them like petrol cars. Causing all sorts of issues.
For me mostly petrol engine Land Cruiser's owner is a happy camper, who never even worries to pull the oil dipstick. I am not talking about enthusiasts. They are here mostly drive diesel. For me, IMHO daily driver is must be a diesel and new generation. 70-80-100s are mostly expedition vehicles.
Just got my wife Opel Zafira DCTi engine - 5.5 liter for 100kms in urban mode. I will not return to frikin petrol:D

I have a lot of diesel engines in my toys (B, 3B, 2H, 1HZ, 1PZ, 1KZ-TE, 2L-T, 12HT, 1KD-TE)
I prefer 12HT, but if I had to choose one, the only one I should be by the end of my days and then take it with me in the toyota sky, it would be and now do not laugh at me 2L

it would be and now do not laugh at me 2L

The 2L is fine without a turbo. There are thousands of them(inc the 3L 5L) in Australia and many reach 3-400000klms. Maybe not such a great hwy vehicle , but farmers and mining companies loved them for their reliability. It was only when Toyota realised that the other Japanese companies had stolen the march on them in the small turbo 4 cyl diesel market that they hurriedly fitted a turbo to them.
Without a turbo they are as good as any of Toyotas other 4cyl and 6cyl diesels.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom