Front diff leaking after drain and fill. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I did a drain and fill on my front diff and the next day it grew a leak. It appears to be running down the back of the pumpkin and dripping off the bottom so it's either the pinion seal or cover seal. Has anyone ever seen fresh fluid cause a leak. I can't figure out how a drain and fill can cause a leak.

I just checked the bolts that hold the cover on and a few of them on the bottom were a turn or two loose so I tightened them up. But I still don't understand why it wasn't leaking before the drain and fill.

Give it a few days to settle in if you used 80w/90. Not the thickest oil. If it’s still leaking from the pumpkin seal or pinion seal after a few weeks it should be self explanatory. Maybe you overfilled slightly and pressure is forcing oil out.

Give the breather a once over. Any oil on that? Light seepage will be ok until you have to pull covers off for new rtv or oem gasket. Keep an eye on it for a while.
My front pinion bearing/seal was seeping slightly, it has reduced itself noticeably after a couple months, after 80/90, no further action taken. That seal is pita anyway. I did fill the diff to finger feel level in the front hole FYI. GL.

I just checked the bolts that hold the cover on and a few of them on the bottom were a turn or two loose so I tightened them up. But I still don't understand why it wasn't leaking before the drain and fill.

Well that was hopefully the cause. Good for checking. Had you had it open before or know of?

Well that was hopefully the cause. Good for checking. Had you had it open before or know of?
I have never opened it other than the fill and drain plugs. It was regeared by the p.o so it has been opened at least once.

After snugging those bolts up you should be good. I have factory install and they didn’t budge in or out. I went over the whole truck this past winter. Blizzard 3 weeks ago, 88 and hot today, getting the pool ready right now Spock. :cheers:
Finger splits lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom