I really messed up! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So after reading some of you guy's thread on transmission fluid exchange, I scheduled an appointment with my local dealership to have the service done for $295 this morning.

This was prompted due to my recently purchased vehicle having 162K miles on it and trying to prepare the vehicle for the upcoming Land Cruiser Destination Club meeting in Colorado at the end of July. Due to this, I've been slowing preparing the vehicle with preventive maintenance.

Last night as I was pulling into the driveway my power steering went out. It was dark and I couldn't see much under the hood as an immediate issue. I didn't put too much effort either since I already had an appointment at 6:30 AM this morning to have the transmission fluid exchange done so I would just ask them to take a look hoping it would be a simple fix such as a loose hose.

within 20 mins of them taking the vehicle back, they come and get me and show me the cause. My serpentine belt broke, and boy it went kicking and screaming and taking anything that it could on its way out. This was completely my fault, I knew I should have changed it as soon as I bought the vehicle but I thought it had already been replaced since the vehicle had been dealer maintained. I had also looked at the belt shortly after buying it and it didn't look worn out. But again my fault 100%.

damage:

Belt shards wrapped around all the pulleys
Belt punched a hole in the radiator
and not caused by the belt, but water pump leaking

So they are going to replace the radiator, water pump, bleed the system, and replace the belt. That cost alone is going to cost $1,815.65

Added to that they will still do the transmission fluid exchange but at $213.10. Not sure if they decided to give me a break or not.

So after everything is done they quoted me $2,330.00. They had to order the radiator, so I won't get the vehicle back until tomorrow afternoon.

Staying Positive:

I'm trying to put a positive spin on this.

1. Prefer it happened now and not while I was driving out to Colorado or on one of the Trails.

2. I know the water pump and radiator has been an issue on the 200 series Land Cruiser, so now I know that it will be good for another 100k miles.

3. I hadn't bought AT tires yet for the Colorado trip so I can pay for the repair cost.

Negative:

1. I had to use the funds I had set aside for AT tires.

2. I had to use the funds that I was planning on for food and gas for that trip.

Afterthoughts:

I am solely responsible for what happened. I should have placed more emphasis on maintenance of the vehicle. Due to this unexpected expense, this has put in jeopardy my planned vacation to Colorado and participation in the LCDC trip. I'm still waiting to see what the final damage is when I get my vehicle back tomorrow and how I can salvage my planned vacation. Not sure yet I might use a credit card for gas and food.

I'd rather that have happened close to the house with a service appt scheduled than halfway across the country 100mi from the nearest Toyota dealer... Sounds like you lucked out in a way. :)

<--- Optimist!

Did you already approved the repairs? Did you get an itemized estimate? Is the 5.7 timing belt driven with the W/P?
It seems a bit overprice IMO. @gomez268

Did you already approved the repairs? Did you get an itemized estimate? Is the 5.7 timing belt driven with the W/P?
It seems a bit overprice IMO. @gomez268

I already approved the repairs, I need the vehicle running. They showed me the estimate, showing $900 in parts and $900 in labor. I still processing everything to really question the price. Once I get the vehicle fixed I'll request an itemized bill. Either way, I need it fixed and can't drive it anywhere else.

sh!t happens. I wouldn't blame yourself.

I assume they're replacing the hoses and the thermostat while they are in there but if not they absolutely should.

BTW it looks like the book rate on the labor is 2.1 hours for the radiator, water pump, hoses, and thermostat. Not sure all the work they're doing but you might ask the service manager to kindly double check the labor estimate to make sure they're not double billing you (i.e. charging you 1.8 hours for the water pump and 1.0 hours for the thermostat, or charging labor for the serpentine belt or fan since those would have to come off anyway.
upload_2018-5-24_14-39-2.png

upload_2018-5-24_14-38-15.png

Labor seems a lot, would you mind sharing what parts are they replacing besides the radiator and water pump?
I can look up labor and maybe parts just to see if they are taking you for a ride. What year 200?

I guess someone beat me to it.:(

sh!t happens. I wouldn't blame yourself.

I assume they're replacing the hoses and the thermostat while they are in there but if not they absolutely should.

BTW it looks like the book rate on the labor is 2.1 hours for the radiator, water pump, hoses, and thermostat. Not sure all the work they're doing but you might ask the service manager to kindly double check the labor estimate to make sure they're not double billing you (i.e. charging you 1.8 hours for the water pump and 1.0 hours for the thermostat, or charging labor for the serpentine belt or fan since those would have to come off anyway.
View attachment 1708037
View attachment 1708036

I didn't think about possibly being billed for double labor that is a good point. I will check tomorrow when I go to pick up the vehicle before paying.

Labor seems a lot, would you mind sharing what parts are they replacing besides the radiator and water pump?
I can look up labor and maybe parts just to see if they are taking you for a ride. What year 200?

I guess someone beat me to it.:(

Once I go back to pick up the vehicle I will ask for an itemized bill for labor and parts and share it with you guys. I will also look at it and ask to speak with a service manager if things don't add up.

The feedback I am getting from you guys is amazing. This just strengthens my reasoning why this forum is so amazing.

Call them now while they’re still working on it to make sure they put on the new hoses and clamps and thermostat while they’re in there shouldn’t be any labor on it they got to do all that anyway with the All-Star so I’d pay for those parts but I’d get on the hook and Call now about it

I called them, they said that thermostat is $224 plus an hr of labor total would be $350 with labor charge due to having to disassemble and reassemble the thermostat.

upload_2018-5-24_18-0-38.png

upload_2018-5-24_18-0-59.png

There is also a $114.95 diagnostic fee that will be rolled into the repair charge once work is complete, I told them the above numbers weren't adding up. Didn't see how it was adding up to $2562.14. They said they are giving me some discounts so the actual repair order shows a total of $2,211.00 and when I pick up the vehicle I can get an itemized invoice showing parts cost and labor breakdown.

I'm going to hold off on the thermostat and hoses.

Also, I know Amazon and eBay are not the same cost as that of the dealership, but I'm seeing a Thermostat averaging around $20 or $50 with radiator hose.

Either way, I need it fixed. Can't tell them to stop and take it somewhere else. I will be looking at the itemized bill with a magnifying glass lol.

Last edited:
Go online or call other dealer and get an estimate over the phone, you can buy Toyota parts online cheaper than most dealers would sell over the counter.

Make sure there are no extra charges for shop supplies of that sort and get part numbers.
Make sure you get what is the shop labor rate.

I called them, they said that thermostat is $224 plus an hr of labor total would be $350 with labor charge due to having to disassemble and reassemble the thermostat.

View attachment 1708147

View attachment 1708149

There is also a $114.95 diagnostic fee that will be rolled into the repair charge once work is complete, I told them the above numbers weren't adding up. Didn't see how it was adding up to $2562.14. They said they are giving me some discounts so the actual repair order shows a total of $2,211.00 and when I pick up the vehicle I can get an itemized invoice showing parts cost and labor breakdown.

I'm going to hold off on the thermostat and hoses.

Also, I know Amazon and eBay are not the same cost as that of the dealership, but I'm seeing a Thermostat averaging around $20 or $50 with radiator hose.

Either way, I need it fixed. Can't tell them to stop and take it somewhere else. I will be looking at the itemized bill with a magnifying glass lol.

That's absurd. A thermostat is $32

Thermostat Unit - Toyota (16031-0S010) | Boch Toyota South

Also, my local Toyota dealers charge either $75 or $50 for diagnosis.

Sounds like they're hosing you, hard.

If they ADD an hour for the thermostat to the other work being done, they are screwing you. It is literally two minutes of work comprised of three more small bolts, if the water pump is already off.

And Tony is right on price. I paid $33 locally through an internet site who’s operations happen to be in town.

ok finally got the Cruiser back. The dealership called me today at noon and said they had put the vehicle together and discovered that the belt tensioner had gone bad. I'm happy about this news because it means I didn't fail to check the belt. I remember looking at the belt when I first bought the vehicle and thought it looks to be in good shape. The bad thing is the part is $180.71, they won't charge me labor on that.

Break down:
Radiator assy $535.14
Belt, V-Ribbed $135.17
super long life C ( coolant) $24.00
Pump Assy, Water $250.88
Tensioner Assy, V-R $180.71
12 Qts ATFWS trans fluid $113.40
Trans Treatment $41.75

Shop supplies $37.73

They could not give me a break down on labor, showed it all group together and originally at $900
After back and forth with them, he said he was billing me for 6 hours of labor and that I was being billed an extra hr for it. And after more discussion on the numbers not adding up, they said they forgot to add a discount (10%)

Labor

transmission exchange $57.95
Radiator/water pump $870.46

Parts total: 1281.41
Labor total: 928.41
shop supplies: 37.73
discount: 126.43
tax: 148.46

total: 2,269.22

I know I still ended up paying more then I should have but my choices were limited. On the plus side the belt breaking was not due to my negligence, it was due to an issue with the tensioner.

Wanted to thank everyone on this thread for their advice. I was able to get a reduced price at the end for all the work done.

P.S. after the transission fluid exchange, I can really tell the difference. It's like night and day. The vehicle shifts really smooth now.

Those part prices are wild. Off the top of my head the radiator, belt and water pump are about twice the price compared to what you can get elsewhere.
That stuff is way more than even list price. A radiator is a little over $400, list price.

Yeah I figured when they quoted me $224 for the thermostat, but options are limited when they have the vehicle taken apart and can't be readily moved else where. Do we have any options when its a dealership telling you this is the price of the parts.

did you get all of this service at toyota or lexus dealership?

I wonder if the higher parts are prices are due to lexus dealership.

You might have paid more than we think you should have but at the end of the day it is fixed. You also have it for the long weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom