Builds 91 FJ80 Overland Build, On a Budget... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I got a FJ80 a few months ago, Ended up paying $1200 for it, She needed maintenance galore But relatively Rust Free for MI, So I bought it. To get it up to snuff, I spent 300 (Plugs, oil, Desmoge the 3fe, Rust Converter, Etc...) and another 280 on a new radiator, since that blew up a month after purchase, (about to return the old one cause I found out it is the same exact one I bought from Orylies).

In march I Found a killer deal on Dick Ceperek 255 85 16s, for a whooping $625, But they were on back order, so I got them yesterday. Since i was on 31 x 15s, I did have to find some 16s. Luckily Craigslist found me a guy that was parting out a 80 LC. I went and bought the drivers seat back, Passenger seat bottom, and middle seat to replace my torn ones in LC\ and they were the Exact same color, I also got some 16s, This all set me back $120. Lot of steam cleaning later she looks good. While I was at it I pulled the carpets because they were disgusting and even after power washing them, there were still some stains I wasn't too sure on.

The Goal with Goliath, every overland vehicle needs a solid name, Is to be able to have a overland weekend warrior with the yearly weekish long trip! I will say I am not new to overlanding but my 99 4runner was already built, and then got sold because I wanted my dad 77 Celica. This LC will be built on a budget. Wife approved $3500 For total build (Once I hit that I may get more for other upgrades... 4bt, 6bt... we will see) But my main goal is going on Adventures... the offroad adventures were very much missed once the 4Runner went, we saw so many back roads that many never see, Tiny towns that are almost gost towns and so on. Adventure is out there, even for us 8-5ers that only get the long weekend trip with the Occasional long trip!

Here are some pics when I got her.

IMG_4071[1].JPG

IMG_4072[1].JPG

Game for the kids, Can you tell me which one of these things is not like the other....
IMG_4105[1].JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: RFB
Going camping this memorial weekend, Soooo Obviously I need a sleeping platform, Metal, wood Screews and of course Mattress and two heavy duty Totes, Set me back another $190 Ill add pics of this in a bit. I followed mmuthart Guide,
Sleeping Platform Without Drawers - Here's What I Came Up With

Wife bought me a Mig135 for my birthday the Sleeping Platform frame was easy to build, Bumper and slider are in the works...(Side note, you find a women that buys you tools and does thing you like to do like camping and carshows, Merry her)

Also here are the Pizza cutter 33s! Found out the hard way that 15 in lugs dont fit the 16s...
Anyone know what Lugs I need for stock 80 16s?!?!
IMG_4258[1].JPG
IMG_4260[1].JPG

IMG_4263[1].JPG

Last edited:
Just cruise down to your local tire shop.. I have discount and les schwab here they usually have a variety of lugs in stock and not to expensive. I’m sure they have something that will fit.

Good Idea, Yeah trying to keep her cheap so figured online ordering but if I can get it local that is even better! Goal is under 3500 Total...(that will probably grow once i hit that but lets see what I can do until then). Ill be selling the 15s with Good tires to recoup some cost for future projects on her

New tires installed!!! Went for a drive and the check engine light came on... Not sure if anyone has seen that. The CEL code is 21 which is o2 sensor1, I changed out the one by the frame rail 2 months ago, can’t remember which sensor is 1 and which is 2...

Anyways here is the new tire pic!!!

04236DF0-3F0B-4ADC-A420-70EC929F5BB9.jpeg

Good luck with the project, hopefully it does more smoothly than mine. It is slow but not that bad, much faster than a vw bus or a lot of vehicles people have driven throughout history.

Yeah I definitely get the SLOW.... Goranvolvo so how do you like the chevy V8? whats your Gas Mileage like? Acceleration has to be better....

So before I left I fixed the CEL... it was the rubber intake hose decided to crack a bit more when I was messing with trans adjustment. Luckly I pulled the one off my $120 parts grab 80. So swapped it out and re cleaned the Throttle Body. We did take the old beast camping. I was pleasantly surprised... I got 12 MPG HWY with hills! LOL. And this was its maiden voyage 250 miles total and didnt come home thinking well crap I need to fix everything... as usual I got excited about camping and forgot the pics. No worries it was just to a KOA my father in laws cousin owns... since its the only type of glamping my sister in law will do. BUT we got to try out the new sleeping platform and it was in Norther Michigan so I found a seasonal road to play on.

Anyway here is Sleeping platform, Cushion fit perfectly but I wish the foam was a Tad bit more dense, Comfortable enough... then again our mattress at home is a purple and that thing is Awesome.

Im thinking next on the ToDo list is build steal rear bumper wings, possibly a 97 Headliner, replace steering box, and check timing (valves have been done but need a timing light for this part) I have a manual but is there a certain degree that gives the 3fe MAXIMUM performance?! Ha...

Where I stand...
- $420 - Parts and lubes
- $625 - tires and shackles
- $120 - wheels, seats and other used parts
- $000 - Radiator (Ended up being the same brand as the one that blew.... Returned it under LifeTime Warrenty)
- $100 - Tire mount and balance and lugs.
- $190 - Sleeping platform + totes and mattress
TOTAL-$1455

FJ80 total - $1200

Total spent... $2655 Not including TTL, Maybe ill try to keep her to 3k!!! we will see.

Side note... I still am waiting for $100 Dollar rebate on tires, and need to try and sell my 5 15s with NEW 31in all terrains. That will help the Budget a LOT! Future plans and cost assumptions...
- Smittybilt Winch 9500... 300....
- Winch Plate.....50.....
- TMS Snorkel.... 56....
- Axel High diff breather.... 44
- Raptor liner.... 300.... (+150 Materials)

IMG_4325[1].JPG

IMG_4324[2].jpg

Watching this thread... Platform project definitely coming this summer

Ideas to keep the budget down:

- TMS Snorkel.... 56.... (save this for later if you actually really need it)
- Axel High diff breather.... 44 (DIY diff breather hoses for $25 in materials)
- Raptor liner.... 300.... (+150 Materials) (save this for later if you actually really need it)

Ideas to keep the budget down:

- TMS Snorkel.... 56.... (save this for later if you actually really need it)
- Axel High diff breather.... 44 (DIY diff breather hoses for $25 in materials)
- Raptor liner.... 300.... (+150 Materials) (save this for later if you actually really need it)

I agree with the diff breather here. Diff breather extension can be done for cheap as hell, I did mine for less than 10 bucks at O'Reilly. Raptor liner is up in the air based on need, if you're going to do it though I highly recommend sound deadening first. And the snorkel is a must have purely for looks at the least... I have a TMS i've been waiting to put on as well. Snagged mine for 30 off craigs from some guy who tried to but it on his Subaru. Also check out the classifieds on here for small parts too, people part out modded and stock 80s all the time.

Thanks guys for the Comments! yeah I know Snorkels arent truely needed but I like them and used mine a few times on my 4runner. If I had to pay the Big Bucks for a safari one I would probably pass for a bit! Diff breathers, well 1 of my stock ones currently looks like it is just a hose that is only partially secured, So doing that to fix it but the 44 was an estimate. The raptor liner, is because although my cruiser is not currently too rusty, I HATE rust, and am trying to protect its sheet metal, there are some spots that would be addressed before doing this, especially around the windshield (yeah it will come out...). Sound deadening is a great idea, Currently no carpets in the truck and it is a bit LOUD! Anyone have any links for that? or how to easily pull the windshield?!

Save your money...... DONT buy a Smittybuilt winch, they (cheap line) are garbage, mine lasted exactly 1 Pull! Buy a Harbor Freight 12000# winch for $259 on sale. I’ve put them on my last 3 builds, and all of them are still pulling!

Many people have had good luck with the Smittybilt winches, present party included. Mine has worked just fine (10K model). I'm sure you'll get the same comments about the Harbor Freight units too. Some swear by them, some swear at them.

That being said, for $259, it is a hard deal to beat.

no snorkel...if you get in water that deep, something is gonna fry. Most likely the alternator or distributor.
just use regular paint on any rusty areas. Save headaches for the future owner.
$5 in some hose and hose clamps will extend the breathers.
Save all that money for when it breaks. Cause it will.
I'd swap a Cruiser 4 speed manual in, totally changes the driving characteristics.

ECU is in drivers side kick panel, once that gets wet your going to be “toes up” with or without a snorkel. (Yes, I have one:flipoff2:)

Many people have had good luck with the Smittybilt winches, present party included. Mine has worked just fine (10K model). I'm sure you'll get the same comments about the Harbor Freight units too. Some swear by them, some swear at them.

That being said, for $259, it is a hard deal to beat.

I agree, good point! In my eyes the HF one can’t be beat, unless you want to spend BIG $$$ on a MileMarker Hydrolic winch!

In the rust belt I wouldn't do raptor, salt can creep under it and it will accelerate rust much faster. Paint is nice because it will bubble as soon as rust starts forming and you can fix it before it gets out of control. You could por15 the frame inside and out or such like coating as well as the underneath of the floor.

Not sure what you consider overlanding. Here out west, you had better budget for more fuel capacity. Big budgets allow for larger / secondary tanks. Small budgets allow for gas cans. Much more important than a snorkel or other non-essentials. However, depending on what you do and where you go, this may not be a priority.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom