Overdrive vibration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJBroBri

SILVER Star
Threads
Hey there,

I have a '99 Lx470 and it has a vibration that happens in overdrive and 3rd gear when driving. If it starts happening in overdrive, I can turn it off and it goes away, but a short while or a moment later starts happening in 3rd gear and I can switch to overdrive and it goes away for a moment or a bit...

Any ideas?

It is really hard to say without being there. Does it happen more under a load?

The Torque converter is common reason for vibration.

Also double check ATF fluid level and transmission / motor mounts.

I agree with @outdoorsman hard to tell but this sounds exactly like what I experienced on my rig.

Between the speeds of 35 and 45 mph there is a vibration that disengages with more accelerator or the removal of overdrive.

It was the torque converter locking up causing this vibration.

I used Lube Gard LUBEGARD Instant Shudder Fixx, but the shake returned for me.

In my case it took a whole new transmission to solve the problem.

Sounds like the torque converter to me too.

Here is something you can do to help figure it out, if you can get to it unplug the torque converter lock up solenoid, then drive as normal, does the shutter remain?
You will still have all of your gears, just not the lock up torque converter.

Thanks for all your input. I have it at my mechanic's and will talk to him about your ideas and get back asap.

I agree with @outdoorsman hard to tell but this sounds exactly like what I experienced on my rig.

Between the speeds of 35 and 45 mph there is a vibration that disengages with more accelerator or the removal of overdrive.

It was the torque converter locking up causing this vibration.

I used Lube Gard LUBEGARD Instant Shudder Fixx, but the shake returned for me.

In my case it took a whole new transmission to solve the problem.

I know this is a long shot since you haven't posted on here in a while, but how did you definitively diagnose the issue? Mine is acting similar but I would hate to put in a new transmission if it wasn't going to fix the issue.

For me, when I am driving pretty much exactly 40mph on the speedo (42 with my tires) I feel a vibration in the gas pedal, but not always. This vibration will often stay there as long as I stay at 40. If I shift out of OD, vibration goes away. Shift back into OD and the vibration comes back. It's very slight. I bet most people wouldn't even notice it, but I do. If I am accelerating past 40, say to merge onto the freeway, I don't feel the vibration as I pass 40. It's only when I settle on that speed and just cruise.

Thanks for all your input. I have it at my mechanic's and will talk to him about your ideas and get back asap.

Again, I know it's been a while, but if you still check Mud, did you ever solve this issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom