California Title and Registration of Diesels (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

At first I thought it’d be impossible to register my 88 BJ74. After today I am now starting to think this may be possible. I spent a long time at the DMV yesterday, trying to get things sorted out. Unfortunately the first 4 hours were wasted because the DMV agent marked my BJ74 as a gasoline pickup truck which needs smog, she continued to say the diesel will need a smog either way. Smh... anyway after getting some of it sorted out I needed a vin verification which they stop doing at 1600. Of course when she told me it was 1605. I returned this morning for my vin verification. Failed, not enough visible vins. So I’m left with two options, leave it as is or get some vin stickers maybe a plate made. Either way I need to go to chp to get the vin verified (edit: soonest appointment is in late July). Fingers crossed but this morning the man helping me verified that my truck is diesel and not a pickup. He also said it was smog exempt which I’m thrilled about. So all I think I need is a visual vin inspection and I’ll be good (atleast I hope and pray).

Next time use a third party vin verifier, its $250 and they come to your house to do it, well worth it. The less interaction with the DMV the higher your chances are.

Anyone know if there are issues bringing a gasoline powered LC from outside the US to California? Is a 2F from Oz or other places going to fail a visual inspection or anything silly? I'm assuming that, at worst, one could add US-spec emissions to a foreign 2F to make it so it would pass tailpipe inspections, but wonder if there would be issues with not having a "sticker" or some other visual objection.

Sorry, I know this thread is for diesels, but it's probably watched by more people who have relevant experience than if I posted separately.

upload_2018-5-31_16-27-56.png

I think a third party vin verifier can't do it because of this note on the form from the DMV.

View attachment 1713475

I think a third party vin verifier can't do it because of this note on the form from the DMV.

I think so too. AAA wasn’t able to and there’s one across the street from the dmv and they weren’t much help. I’m just gonna play it safe and go to CHP. In the mean time I sent off an application to Toyota asking if they could create vin stickers ($80 each). Hopefully I can get a few and it be enough for CHP.

Anyone know if there are issues bringing a gasoline powered LC from outside the US to California? Is a 2F from Oz or other places going to fail a visual inspection or anything silly? I'm assuming that, at worst, one could add US-spec emissions to a foreign 2F to make it so it would pass tailpipe inspections, but wonder if there would be issues with not having a "sticker" or some other visual objection.

Sorry, I know this thread is for diesels, but it's probably watched by more people who have relevant experience than if I posted separately.

Don’t worry about it. We’re here to discuss how to make our hobbies and passions doable in Cali. I think the only thing you’re going to encounter is smog. You may also have to do what I’m doing; vin verification which is a hit or miss to my understanding.

Don’t worry about it. We’re here to discuss how to make our hobbies and passions doable in Cali. I think the only thing you’re going to encounter is smog. You may also have to do what I’m doing; vin verification which is a hit or miss to my understanding.

VIN verification was straightforward on my HJ47. Made an appointment with CHP and he did a thorough job—probably spent two hours going through the truck, searching online for other VINs to see that mine lined up, he went over the mod plates and wanted to know more about the Army mod plate on mine. All in all that was a pretty good experience, but it was 10 years ago, at least. Since I’m less hopeful about diesels these days I was looking at FJ45s recently. Figured I’d ask here

VIN verification was straightforward on my HJ47. Made an appointment with CHP and he did a thorough job—probably spent two hours going through the truck, searching online for other VINs to see that mine lined up, he went over the mod plates and wanted to know more about the Army mod plate on mine. All in all that was a pretty good experience, but it was 10 years ago, at least. Since I’m less hopeful about diesels these days I was looking at FJ45s recently. Figured I’d ask here

Im not too worried unless theyre looking for some federal/ emissions sticker.

What year HJ47?

I think so too. AAA wasn’t able to and there’s one across the street from the dmv and they weren’t much help. I’m just gonna play it safe and go to CHP. In the mean time I sent off an application to Toyota asking if they could create vin stickers ($80 each). Hopefully I can get a few and it be enough for CHP.

Details on who you talked to and what kind of vin stickers?

Details on who you talked to and what kind of vin stickers?

Ill post his business card when I get a chance but he's the "parts manager", he said he'll send off a request to toyota to get toyota vins with my vin made. Or he'd direct me to a company theyre collision center uses to replace vins in accidents. Im gonna guess its just a door jamb or pillar vin. He said they won't make a vin plate.

Heres the dudes card. Really cool and passionate to help. We'll see where it goes; Im not expecting much but if I can get one in my windshield or my door jambs that'd be cool. If not Im sure CHP can figure it out..

IMG_3185.jpg

Next time use a third party vin verifier, its $250 and they come to your house to do it, well worth it. The less interaction with the DMV the higher your chances are.

Seriously!?

By this and others post about the Cali vin inspection thing.....you all can keep that!

What a HUGE hassle and super expensive!

When I lived in Wyoming, it cost $6 and the sheriff would come to my house. They once checked my imported from New Zealand Nissan Patrol Ute, 5-digit vin number barely visible on the frame and the vin plate. No worries at all.

Here in Idaho I think it is free, they do it at DMV.

Cheers

Seriously!?

By this and others post about the Cali vin inspection thing.....you all can keep that!

When I lived in Wyoming, it cost $6 and the sheriff would come to my house. They once checked my imported from New Zealand Nissan Patrol Ute, 5-digit vin number barely visible on the frame and the vin plate. No worries at all.

Cheers

Unfortunately Im mostly committed to staying in CA for school so got suckered into that. Maybe I can get a good residency in texas lol

Why do you think hoards of californians are moving to Idaho, sky rocketing housing prices there as a result.

Seriously!?

Cheers

Wyoming and Texas were a breeze for VIN inspections. CALIFORNIA...... The DMV (in Redding or Chico) and 3rd party agencies will NOT inspect a vehicle that is not 100% complete anymore (new policy) If it is missing a seat, wheel, dash, bumpers, etc... they will NOT inspect it. CHP here only works on "special" VIN inquiries that the DMV refers to them for research.

I finally found an ex-cop that knows a CHP officer that will "swing by" and do a courtesy for my ex-cop friend on a 60 series body and frame. All VIN plates are there. Just no interior or axles. CHP officer should "swing by" next week to hopefully help me out.

If I had the time... I'd just load the rig up and drive it back to WY. For the time I've spent in the DMV and on the phone I could have already driven there and back with a new WY title in hand....

J

Wyoming and Texas were a breeze for VIN inspections. CALIFORNIA...... The DMV (in Redding or Chico) and 3rd party agencies will NOT inspect a vehicle that is not 100% complete anymore (new policy) If it is missing a seat, wheel, dash, bumpers, etc... they will NOT inspect it. CHP here only works on "special" VIN inquiries that the DMV refers to them for research.

I finally found an ex-cop that knows a CHP officer that will "swing by" and do a courtesy for my ex-cop friend on a 60 series body and frame. All VIN plates are there. Just no interior or axles. CHP officer should "swing by" next week to hopefully help me out.

If I had the time... I'd just load the rig up and drive it back to WY. For the time I've spent in the DMV and on the phone I could have already driven there and back with a new WY title in hand....

J
Damn. That’s pretty cool, I have an appt set for the 22nd of July. Twiddling my thumbs until then

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom