Aftermarket bumpers and rust (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I’ve had my Land Cruiser bumpers front and rear and side rails for 2 to 3 years. I’ve started noticing some rust ideveloping on this side rails the front bumper corner and the rear bumper corner. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this something common that my custom bumpers will continue to need maintenance? I thought powder coding would prevent this.

I do not have any aftermarket bumpers for my 100 yet (aluminum is on the list) but I do have another item from a mud vendor on the front of my truck that is powder coated. I live in the rust belt of New England. I was going to remove it for winter but didn't and now it is showing signs of surface rust in the corners. I will have to remove and paint it again. No big deal I still like it. Many designs do not incorporate places that salt spray and debris can be trapped.

I had a smittybuilt brush guard on my previous truck. It was powder coated with a 10 year warranty. I returned it on year 2 for a new one. That one started to surface rust on year 2 as well.

a few years back I bought used arb front bumper and slee rear bumper for my 80 series I had back then. The guy lived near the beach and both bumpers had some pretty good rust from the salt in the air. Powdercoat does prevent it but it all comes down to how the metal was treated before it gets painted. I had a local shop say they could strip it and recoat it no problem.

28752321326_c07c7ebcac_k.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom