Re-boot (while I am in there)? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sdnative

SILVER Star
Threads
I have the front diff out in my 2003 LC and wondering if I should reboot the CV axles while I have them out. No tears or leaking, they look good on inspection. No clicking. I did replace the passenger side may a year and a half ago. I had planned to reboot both sides but now I am rethinking that and just leaving well enough alone.

What else should I think about replacing while I have it all apart? The recent thread about the poly diff bushings got me thinking about doing that also.

Thanks!

I've got one torn boot, so I'll be doing a reboot of both sides in the next few weeks.
It's only $35/side for a reboot kit, so minimal parts cost. You'll be doing all of the work to complete the job, so might as well put some fresh grease/rubber down.

I've got the forward/reverse "thunk" that i'm trying to alleviate, so I'll also be servicing the wheel bearings, greasing the spindle bushings, and replacing the hub flange. May also try swapping the axles to the opposite sides.

Bump for more opinions.

might as well if their out all ready, otherwise I would just leave it alone. I'm guessing you going to be doing the axle seals as well

If its never been done, yes. The boots may not be torn but you may need to refresh the grease. You can go reman if you dont feel like getting greasy. One tick i used was to slide the boots back since mine were not torn. Then go to town with brake cleaner. Repack..DONE! This is a much simpler and faster method then taking everything apart. Took me an hour or so to get it all done.

Might as well buy a boot kit from toyota so you can get fresh CV grease in the one that hasn't been replaced, and throw the new boots on while your at it.

I would get all three diff bushings replaced since you have it out.

I overlooked them when I had my front diff apart twice in a six month period two years ago, would have been slightly more convenient to have done them then.

Thanks everyone, I'll go ahead and reboot both sides. Planning on replacing the bushings with poly. I'm going to replace the LBJs and reboot the UBJs as well...

When you re-boot the axles take special to match mark the bearing cage to the axle stub- to the tulip (its pointed out in the FSM procedure.) this will help to avoid introducing new driveline vibration when you reassemble. If you can keep track of where the bearings were even better.

Defintiely install new diff seals. Tip-Take a picture of the old seal in the diff before you remove it so you can reference how deep to seat the new one-( if new is seated too far in and it will leak.)

Thanks for the advise. New diff seals were installed by Zuk when he did the regear. I still need to install the one in the extension tube.

Just want to get an opinion on these seals.

Brake rotor backing plate dust seal. Looks a little crusty but not bent. Seal is a little hard. Replace? Trying to avoid it if possible as they are $50 a pop.

IMAG2178.jpg

IMAG2179.jpg

IMAG2180.jpg

IMAG2181.jpg

CV axle seals, inner and outer. I am rebooting, should I replace these as well?

IMAG2182.jpg

IMAG2183.jpg

IMAG2184.jpg

IMAG2185.jpg

Diff mounting bolts had some pitting and the zinc coating has been removed. Good idea to replace?

IMAG2175.jpg

IMAG2177.jpg

Knuckle seals. Look ok? I will replace if needed, but a bit pricey. Are these even available? Toyota lists these as NLA. PN 90316-A0001.

IMAG2188.jpg

IMAG2191.jpg

I would not bother rebooting the axle you replaced. You have to use a lot of cleaner to get grease out of CV, best cleaner is gasoline, BUT DON'T USE it. Some old school folks know how to "sort" of use it safely. :ban:

How many miles do you have?
What you call knuckle seals, along with bronze bushings and needle bearings all look good.
Brake rotor backing plate dust seal, if you are somewhere north of 250K miles you could replace, otherwise look ok.

Truck has 135k miles. PS reboot was done maybe 8k miles / 1.5 years ago. DS is original. I know it's messy but...

The dust shield seals look in tact- not cut or broken- should be ok.

The dust seal on the end of the CV axle- if intact should be ok- those are difficult to replace and the only option ( I think a Tacoma part) is not a perfect matxh. @2001LC has some experience replacing these- you can find in his service threads.

The oil seal in the knuckle- if not cut or broken prob ok- there is a spring fitted into the lip of that seal, if this has become loose to the point it falls out of the seal- then replace.

Not sure if you're vehicle is lifted, but I'd recommend pfran clamps on the CV boots, you can tighten them as needed.

Much appreciated!

It's always a good idea to re-boot from time to time, it clears the RAM and memory cache and speeds things up.

It's always a good idea to re-boot from time to time, it clears the RAM and memory cache and speeds things up.

Now you're speaking my language.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom