Rear bumpers... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Been looking for front and rear bumpers for my LX470. I've mostly decided on the ARB Deluxe for the front, but the rear is a different story.

So far Slee's looks like my favorite, as it can be bought as a base and added to later if I want the swingouts. The only problem is their site says the bumper is not tow rated. I likely won't tow more than 3000 lbs but I WILL be towing with it, and it seems silly to keep the tow hitch and have a bumper with a hitch, if it would even fit both. Does anyone have experience with this?

I like 4x4lab's but modifying the frame is a turn-off for me. ARB's option seems to be unavailable now (not listed on their web site).

Any others I should look at?

I have a Bump It Off Road bumper and it's awesome! I bought it used, but it's in excellent condition. Mike is a great guy by all accounts and a MUD supporter. He can do the base bumper and then you can add on swingouts later if that's what you want. He even has some really cool options like a bike rack attachment for the 2nd swingout.

IMG_1291.JPG

IMG_1304.JPG

I’m pretty sure they sell the Slee one way, with both swingouts

Search is your friend, a small company that makes bumpers for the 100 does not have the capital or capacity to get a bumper tow rated you can tow just fine with any one of the reputable guys listed below

See here
100 series armor and suspension Outline

Check out dissent. Only downfall is the lead times. If you are not in a rush. Consider them.

Most of the better custom bumper guys have minimum of 6-8 week lead times, but the wait is worth it. Slee and ARB are off the shelf in stock ready to ship. Slee only comes as one option- with everything ( swing outs, ladder, tire carrier) the quality and detail are very good but the total package price is a greater single time investment. ARB front or rear doesn't add much additional clearance; the rear is basically set up to be an armored tire carrier. The sheetmetal ARB uses is not as heavy as Bior, Slee or Dissent so its not as strong on hits.

Bior and Dissent are the only reliable 100 series fabricators ( I'd say Trail Tailor too but he's stopped offering bumpers) providing "a la carte" build options. There are other custom fabricators, but Mike and Ben are responsive, do great quality fab work and are a pleasure to work with.

Bumpers are a substantial investment, take your time to get the right set up for your long term needs.

Agree with the above post 100%. The Slee product comes one way, no ability to pick and choose options and configuration. I went with BIOR because I have specific needs that will not work with the Slee. My bike rack has a swing arm to the passenger side and I have no need for a ladder. Mike is making me a bumper with a single swing out tire carrier to the Driver Side so I can still use my hitch mounted bike rack with it's own swing attachment. Mike answered all my questions very quickly via email and was very easy to work with.

I've got the rear from BIO and love it. Mike's great to work with and the quality is top notch. It's very similar to the Slee, but with a very flexible buying structure.

Towing: To my knowledge, the only rated bumper for towing is ARB. Other bumpers will handle towing just fine, but you'll lack the official rating. I wouldn't hesitate to two with my BIO, but before doing so, I'd probably run a CAD model and simulate the stresses just to make myself feel better. I don't think ARB requires cutting the frame, but the receiver likely hangs lower or sits out further.

why are you concerned about cutting the frame? You are removing thin gauge rect. tube and replacing it with at least 1/4" plate... I would cut the frame with zero second though. Get under your truck and actually look at the bit that needs cutting... then look at what will go in it's place...it shouldn't scare you.

why are you concerned about cutting the frame? You are removing thin gauge rect. tube and replacing it with at least 1/4" plate... I would cut the frame with zero second though. Get under your truck and actually look at the bit that needs cutting... then look at what will go in it's place...it shouldn't scare you.

^^THIS^^ Once you see one of these bumpers in person, you'll quickly realize how much more substantially stout they are compared to the factory rear cross-member. It's actually laughable. The BIOR with the hitch requires cutting a "notch" in the cross-member, but that's it. No other modifications required BTW.

Been looking for front and rear bumpers for my LX470. I've mostly decided on the ARB Deluxe for the front, but the rear is a different story.

So far Slee's looks like my favorite, as it can be bought as a base and added to later if I want the swingouts. The only problem is their site says the bumper is not tow rated. I likely won't tow more than 3000 lbs but I WILL be towing with it, and it seems silly to keep the tow hitch and have a bumper with a hitch, if it would even fit both. Does anyone have experience with this?

I like 4x4lab's but modifying the frame is a turn-off for me. ARB's option seems to be unavailable now (not listed on their web site).

I have the Slee rear bumper and kept the original OEM hitch as well. It does work. If offroading, you will be sacrificing some clearance by keeping both. I don't offroad so it does not matter to me.

I have the Slee rear bumper and kept the original OEM hitch as well. It does work. If offroading, you will be sacrificing some clearance by keeping both. I don't offroad so it does not matter to me.

Pretty built rig for no offroading... :worms:

I would take a hard look at Dissent and BIOR before making a decision. Without a doubt Slee has some great products and his bumpers are rock solid. Only thing is Slee has pretty much moved on from the 100 series. I don’t think you’ll be seeing any new product for the 100s from Slee. BIOR and Dissent both support the 100 series community and are major sponsors for Hundreds in the Hills. Dissent especially is still coming up with new innovations for the 100 series. It seems like every month some new product or idea comes from Dissent.

I believe in supporting business that supports my own interests. Just something to think about.

Bumper.jpg
My vote is for 4x4 Labs. It took about 5 months for me to get the bumper (shipped to Torfab), but now that I have it installed I feel it was definitely worth the wait. I prefer the spare being on the driver side and like all of the other swing options they offer. Its built super tough and has tons of clearance.
ps - Shoutout to Torfab, the best shop that I've ever dealt with, period!

IMG_0556.PNG
IMG_0604.JPG
IMG_0614.JPG
IMG_0615.JPG
IMG_0814.JPG

Feel free to contact me anytime if you would like any info about the dissent bumper. There are several things that set ours apart from the rest and I would love the opportunity to go over those with you. Bencalhoon86@gmail.com

View attachment 1707545 View attachment 1707546 View attachment 1707547 View attachment 1707548 View attachment 1707550
Feel free to contact me anytime if you would like any info about the dissent bumper. There are several things that set ours apart from the rest and I would love the opportunity to go over those with you. Bencalhoon86@gmail.com

your welds look amazing. Do you do all the welding in your shop? When it comes time for a front bumper, I'm buying yours :)

Only thing is Slee has pretty much moved on from the 100 series. I don’t think you’ll be seeing any new product for the 100s from Slee. BIOR and Dissent both support the 100 series community and are major sponsors for Hundreds in the Hills. Dissent especially is still coming up with new innovations for the 100 series. It seems like every month some new product or idea comes from Dissent.

I just want to point out that the notion that we moved on from the 100 series is completely falls. Stan mentioned that in a post in the HIH thread without any substantiating information on that front. We still build 100's on a weekly basis, as do we do Tacoma's, 4Runners, FJ's, 80's, 200's and the Lexus equivalent. Yes we already have a lot of product developed and still sell them daily. Are our development focused on other areas, yes. But that does not mean we turned our back on something that we still actively support.

We are at the moment as we speak looking at revisions to our rear bumpers for both the 80 and 100 to bring it more inline with what we produce for the 200 now.

Just because we chose to not support a specific event, that does not mean we have abandoned the model. We were actually the very first supports of HIH when Jonathan Harris ran it and we provided T-shirts and money for him to get it off the ground. The event changed direction and we chose to spend out marketing money elsewhere. We do support a number of events nation wide, and as with any small business in our game, the money allocated for marketing only goes so far.

I just wanted to put this out there, Stan might have had the impression that we have moved away from the model due to us not being able to accommodate his request for service on the vehicle. What is true is that with the number of vehicle builds we do, we have moved away from just general repair for the moment and concentrate on vehicle outfitting with the associated maintenance that goes with that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom