Poll - LX570 owners using regular 87 octane or Premium (5 Viewers)

Do you use Regular or Premium fuel in your LX570

• Regular

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • Premium

Votes: 28 50.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Now that the difference between Regular and Premium is running between 60-90 cents a gallon, in my book this becomes a issue. Check what you are using. If using Regular 87 octane has caused a problem let us know?

This same Q goes round and round in circles every year or so.

My conclusion:

If you put 87 in...your LX will instantly BLOW UP. :hillbilly:

Or maybe...you’ll just save a crap load of $$. :steer:

I know what I’d do...

I found this link Which fuel grade should I use for my Lexus vehicle? for the LX users and its 91 Octane rated. Even the LX460 started to require 91 Octane after 2006. Of course Lexus (Toyota) does not recommend using a lower rated fuel than the one they state. I hope that helps.

I bought a $90k dollar truck that get's sh!t gas mileage. I'm not really concerned with fuel costs. i run 93 (premium in Illinois) and the car runs great. I'm sure the difference to running 87 or 89 would be minuscule but it doesn't really matter to me. Perhaps I'm a snob/rule follower. The bigger difference is in winter/summer gas and the use of ethanol that reduces power and mileage for the sake of air quality. I do care about air quality though and would also pay more for cleaner burning gas if there wasn't a loss in performance.

I tried a full tank of Regular and it was generally the same as premium. Maybe one section where it felt a little laggy going up a steep hill. Maybe not. It's really impossible to tell without using a Dyno.

I only drive about 150 miles a week, so it isn't that much of a burden to use Premium, $100/year or something. My last car also used solely premium, so I'm used to it. If the prices continue to diverge I'll probably switch, and continue on Regular without really being able to tell the difference.

I doubt the LX has special fuel maps. I think they speced Premium so that the HP and gas mileage would be the same as the TLC for the slightly heavier rig.

I tried a full tank of Regular and it was generally the same as premium. Maybe one section where it felt a little laggy going up a steep hill. Maybe not. It's really impossible to tell without using a Dyno.

I only drive about 150 miles a week, so it isn't that much of a burden to use Premium, $100/year or something. My last car also used solely premium, so I'm used to it. If the prices continue to diverge I'll probably switch, and continue on Regular without really being able to tell the difference.

I doubt the LX has special fuel maps. I think they speced Premium so that the HP and gas mileage would be the same as the TLC for the slightly heavier rig.

Being on this site for years and being in all the discussions on this topic I think you are correct. I would like to see a LX570 owner post they have 300k miles on their rig beat the crap out of it towed boats and trailers and used it off road and never used anything but Regular gas, and their engine runs great and never had a problem.

You're saying it's a different engine not made by the Toyota corporation? Adorable...
No, I’m saying that it is in a Lexus and Lexus says premium. Toyota says regular in its engines, Lexus says premium in theirs. There is a long standing debate on the ecu mapping and other engine tuning differences between the various applications of the 5.7.

If they really and truly mapped to REQUIRE Premium...and all they got was 1/2 of one percent “more power” with apparently no other benefits to show for it...?

They seriously failed.

type “octane” into this forum’s search field...read for several hours...and then decide if this thread is necessary.

(Hint: It ain’t) :)

At that mileage, ~7200 a year, which is relatively low, at ~13 mpg, the cost difference should be closer to 350-400 - per year. :)

$.20 - $.30 difference between regular and premium here. 10k miles per year is 769 gallons per year at $.25 premium, for premium - a $192 difference.

I didn’t drop close to 100k to wine about $192 per year. This topic is the one area where this site and its members consistently lose their mind. It’s laughable it’s so ridiculous. You’re driving one of the most expensive mass production cars on the road, and LITERALLY penny pinching.

Premium is what, 12% more
, so that is how much dummies like me are wasting. In my region it's $6 a fillup. I don't buy retail coffee, so I'm still ahead.

I agree with @Markuson , it's been debated.

Odds are it's marketing. So what, I'm not fussed over 10s of dollars. The guzzler doesn't even start counting until it hits $100. :worms:

Where I'm at the difference is 70 cents a gallon. That is a big factor that varies quite a bit across the country. YMMV.

US average (according to DOT) is 13,476 miles per year.

Last edited:
There's low level knock, and then there's serious engine grenading knock.

Using 87 octane in the LX570 calibrated for "premium unleaded gasoline only" would result in low grade knock, i.e. additional wear and tear.
You won't find any anecdotal examples of grenaded engines to tell you you're doing it wrong.

What will happen is progressive additional wear and tear. The kind that would manifest in lower compression at higher mileage, including more blow-by, oil consumption, and loss of power. Perhaps an earlier headgasket failure at higher mileage.

Those must be cheap compared to money saved on gas right?

You guys suggesting that information in manuals are akin to marketing have no idea how engineering organizations are run. Engineers and tech writers write manuals. If you want to know the inside scoop, there's no better way to receive it. Details are not minced here and are a result of objective validation and testing. Especially in world class engineering organizations such as Toyota/Lexus.

Page 692:

"If 91 Octane cannot be obtained, you may use unleaded gasoline with an Octane Rating as low as 87 (research octane number 91). However, use of unleaded fuel with an octane rating lower than 91 may result in engine knocking or drastically reduce output to protect itself while driving a heavy load. Persistent knocking can lead to engine damage and should be corrected by refueling with higher octane unleaded gasoline."

Also, on page 692, it says:
"Premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating 91 or higher required for optimum performance."

There's low level knock, and then there's serious engine grenading knock.

Using 87 octane in the LX570 calibrated for "premium unleaded gasoline only" would result in low grade knock, i.e. additional wear and tear.
You won't find any anecdotal examples of grenaded engines to tell you you're doing it wrong.

What will happen is progressive additional wear and tear. The kind that would manifest in lower compression at higher mileage, including more blow-by, oil consumption, and loss of power. Perhaps an earlier headgasket failure at higher mileage.

Those must be cheap compared to money saved on gas right?

You guys suggesting that information in manuals are akin to marketing have no idea how engineering organizations are run. Engineers and tech writers write manuals. If you want to know the inside scoop, there's no better way to receive it. Details are not minced here and are a result of objective validation and testing. Especially in world class engineering organizations such as Toyota/Lexus.

If that is so, then they really did drivers a disservice...requiring an expensive fuel that renders basically zero benefit compared to the LC tune at 87.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom