Small 12v Fridge/Freezer (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Please clarify: "cooled volume versus total fridge volume ratio is quite poor."?

The cooled volume is the cavity that you put your beer and non-essentials.

The total fridge volume is the outside case envelope - i.e. how much volume the entire fridge takes within the vehicle including space for the radiator cooling.

Since the compressor volume + radiator cooling volume is very similar for the larger or smaller fridge, that overhead volume is a larger percentage of the total volume for a smaller fridge than a larger one. That's what I mean by the volume ratio. Basically a packing efficiency.

It's the engineer in me disliking inefficiency. But like I wrote, in the end the fridge has to fit into the space you have available for it in the vehicle...

I own a smaller (capacity Engel) and a 50qt ARB and even though the ARB has nearly 3x the beer volume it really isn't much 'bigger' than the Engel.

cheers,
george.

Ahhh I get it. Sorta like a 2F in a 40 vs the same 2F in a 60... ;)

I was looking to decrease the footprint of the fridge over my ARB to save that space for other storage. This fridge is tall. Taller than the very similar Dometic 11 liter but with the same footprint.
PLUS I wanted to not carry all of my food for the whole trip out on the trail with me (ARB stays back at camp in the tow vehicle).

Yes the CD20, Im all about things that are not normal and custom drawers would be my route fridge or no fridge.:)
I've used the CD30, which has the same height and width dimensions as the CD20 but the fridge is deeper (30 liters). The CD30 is pretty small as is. The dial control is a bit finicky, like the old metal Engel's.

The cooled volume is the cavity that you put your beer and non-essentials.

The total fridge volume is the outside case envelope - i.e. how much volume the entire fridge takes within the vehicle including space for the radiator cooling.

Since the compressor volume + radiator cooling volume is very similar for the larger or smaller fridge, that overhead volume is a larger percentage of the total volume for a smaller fridge than a larger one. That's what I mean by the volume ratio. Basically a packing efficiency.
On a side note, I once compared the Dometic CF-50 and an ARB50 (both rated at 50 liter capacity), the ARB fridge was like 20-25% larger, externally.

Last edited:
^ insulation thickness/strength can also add to total volume. Insulation quality of course impacts how often the compressor has to cycle to keep the contents cool with warm/hot ambient conditions. I do like the arb50 lid (the newer arb50), brilliantly easy design to be able to remove the lid if access is needed and the vertical access to fully open the lid on the hinges isn't available.

The nice thing is that volume is the WxHxD so adding just 2" to each dimension of a 1 foot cubed fridge increases the volume nearly 60%

cheers,
george.

Yes, insulation is a major part of it but the compressor portion of the Dometic fridge also seems to take up less room. The Dometic CF50 is narrow and tall, the compressor doesn't need the entire width of the fridge. I have both a Dometic and ARB and the insulation on both seem fine for my use. I think the ARB lid is thicker than needed as the sun is never beating down on my fridges. There is always something stacked on top or a roof above it.

^ For sure, lots of tradeoffs in fridge size/configuration. I've not owned a Dometic, so don't have 1st hand experience, but lots of folk run them and appear mostly happy.

In the end, the important thing is that they can cool the beer enough when out on the tracks :)

cheers,
george.

^ For sure, lots of tradeoffs in fridge size/configuration. I've not owned a Dometic, so don't have 1st hand experience, but lots of folk run them and appear mostly happy.

In the end, the important thing is that they can cool the beer enough when out on the tracks :)

cheers,
george.

Surprisingly, I’ve been impressed with the little Dometic. I completely understand the engineering side that you discuss.

We have a 63qt ARB for the food, and use the little Dometic for ice, when camping. I can’t stand a Jack/Coke with no ice...

Yes, insulation is a major part of it but the compressor portion of the Dometic fridge also seems to take up less room. The Dometic CF50 is narrow and tall, the compressor doesn't need the entire width of the fridge. I have both a Dometic and ARB and the insulation on both seem fine for my use. I think the ARB lid is thicker than needed as the sun is never beating down on my fridges. There is always something stacked on top or a roof above it.

As a CF-50 owner the small inside section is what sold me along with the size and multi function side opening lid . The small inside (warmer) section is ideal for preserving greens and fruit on extended trips.

I did a temp sample today of my ARB50. After running the cooler for 4 days I removed a beverage from the top section and the bottom section. The bottom section measured 37 degrees and the top beverage 53 degrees. Quite a variance.

I did a temp sample today of my ARB50. After running the cooler for 4 days I removed a beverage from the top section and the bottom section. The bottom section measured 37 degrees and the top beverage 53 degrees. Quite a variance.

Pretty common with most fridges. The important take away with temp is beer begins to slush at 29°:)

Pretty common with most fridges. The important take away with temp is beer begins to slush at 29°:)
I agree. I always set my ARB temp at 29. Last trip two cans sprung leaks. Not sure if it was all the off roading or too cold of temp setting so I have kept it at 29. I may drop to 27 on the next trip to see if I can get the top temp down. No real food safety issues because all the eggs are kept in the colder area. I do keep lunch meat and cheese up top. The cheese does not do real well at these temps. i may upgrade to an 82 qt.

I have been looking hard at the Dometic drawer fridge (under $300) due to its small size and ability to fit under/in a rear drawer system. Super low wattage and compact size got my interest.

s-l1600.jpg

That's really cool. You can even separate the compressor from the fridge and mount it up to 1.5 meters away. I've been looking for a fridge that will fit behind the 3rd row of my 80. I'll have to do some measurements tomorrow.

I agree. I always set my ARB temp at 29. Last trip two cans sprung leaks. Not sure if it was all the off roading or too cold of temp setting so I have kept it at 29. I may drop to 27 on the next trip to see if I can get the top temp down. No real food safety issues because all the eggs are kept in the colder area. I do keep lunch meat and cheese up top. The cheese does not do real well at these temps. i may upgrade to an 82 qt.

I have an 80 at Edgestar. While it is nice, occasionally, to fit 3 cases + of water in it it is also too tall and a pain in the azz most times.

So after a weekend using the new Indel B (post 15) I can report it worked very well. Just used it during the days on the trail wheeling, turning it off overnight. It dropped temp very quickly keeping my sandwich, snacks and water bottles cold. It was set too cold day one and froze the water.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom