[1991 FJ70 3f] Need help understanding vacuum guage (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi

I connected the Vacuum gauge to one of the two nipple filter directly on the intake manifold (one hose goes to a VSV, the other goes to the distributor side of the engine). I also just changed this small fitting with a brand new OEM part and installed a new PCV valve and a new intake to carb gasket.

The reading fluctuates, or shakes, between 12 and 13. I looked for vacuum leaks, there may be one but I couldn't find it even with a starter spray can. Could this be related to the valves? How exactly? Could the idle mixture screw do this?

Here's a video with clear audio:

Last edited:
you might get more answers in the 40 series or 60 series forum - 2f and 3f are pretty simillar.

Have you checked for vaccuum leaks with carb cleaner?

Yes I did check but couldn't find any leaks. I mainly checked around the carb and intake manifold. And the vac advance hose. I don't know where else to check.

I have seen problems like that on MGBs.
Once it was air leaking in around the throttle shaft.
Another time the twin carbs needed new carb-to-manifold gaskets and correct tightening.

Have you disconnected vac hoses and plugged or capped off sections one at time?

How does the engine run does it have a dead spot or run lumpy.

The engine runs smooth no problems at all, no clicking from the valves and I made sure the distributor timing is set about 9 degress.

I have seen problems like that on MGBs.
Once it was air leaking in around the throttle shaft.
Another time the twin carbs needed new carb-to-manifold gaskets and correct tightening.

Have you disconnected vac hoses and plugged or capped off sections one at time?

The weird thing is the three vacuum hoses coming from the carb don't seem to pull any vacuum at all. I disconnected the hoses one by one, replaced all the short ones but nothing changed.

I sprayed near the carb gaskets but didn't notice anything either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom