Replace rusty nuts and bolts (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hello, I just acquired a 4th gen 4Runner, too you a vehicle for this thread, but I figured you would have ideas and answers anyway to how tk address rusty bolts and clamps in the engine bay.

Would I replace them?
Where can I find a batch of clamps and bolts for this vehicle?
Would I use non-rusting parts?
Some are touching paint, so other than Wd-40, what could I use to remove the rust and not damage paint?
Metal attachments with peeling paint I figure I can either replace or remove/sand/repaint.

Thanks! I’m trying to figure out where to begin w this project.

Hardware straight from Toyota is surprisingly inexpensive. Washers for $0.25 and specialty bolts for about $0.95 depending. You do have to look up every part number and order it but it's well worth it in my opinion after 15 years. Hose clamps are super cheap as well. I figure that the original hardware took 15 years to get rusty the new stuff will last another 15 years.

What I usually do: if strength isn't important (non structural fastener) replace with stainless. Buy them in bulk from Fastenal.

Go find a junkyard, fill your pockets.

I like the Fastenal idea. The challenge there is that I would have to remove the bolt to learn tge specs, match and replace it.

Is there a common bolt roaming the engine bay?

There is a junkyard some miles away. I’ll check to see what they have in stock.

Would a Tacoma engine bay be similar? Tundra? Can I snatch bolts off of those?

Fastenal is a good resource - I like mcmaster.com. I buy them by the box in a few lengths and cut them down if I need to.

The common sizes are 6, 8, 10 millimeter in the "coarse" thread. But be warned that a lot of automotive fasteners are fine thread, but usually in a critical application like @KLF said. (For my 60 project I bought dealer hardware for the driveshaft bolts, spindle attachment bolts, etc.)

But if you're just looking to replace your oil pan bolts order up some (6mm X 15mm?) stainless screws and go to town.

The problem you'll have with non-OEM hardware is that Toyota (like most Asian manufacturers) uses the JIS standard for fasteners. So M8 bolts on the truck will have a 12mm head, but bolts you buy will have a 13mm head. This is the most common size bolt, so be prepared to adjust accordingly.

This is an incentive to stick with OEM fasteners. I always kept all the decent hardware when parting out a truck, which I soaked in degreaser and cleaned, then organized in tackle trays and bins. Now I have all this nice hardware, but no projects anymore. Not sure what to do with it all.

Thank you. I'm getting closer.

These bolts come in many lengths, anywhere from 16mm to 60mm. To narrow down the common ones, I visited a Toyota dealer website to get the specifics on the bolt length, but when visiting the specific bolt page there is no information on the bolt itself (top shape, thread or length). Just a cryptic part number.

Does any website have both the part and the bolt specifics?

View attachment 1707207

Screen Shot 2018-05-23 at 2.02.32 PM.png

KLF, buy a FJ40, , that will use up your bolt stash!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom